Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax. cause/bring out liver issues?

:new:

My Neuro put me on 25mg of Topamax several months ago, for nerve pain. It actually worked really well for a while, and before Thanksgiving, she decided to bump me up to 50mg. It just so happened 2-3 days after I started the new dosage, I got really sick. My chest hurt really bad, I had a high fever, (103F), a rash. Oh.. and my hands and feet felt like the size of boxing gloves. The rest of my family got the typical flu... I just had other crappy symptoms. So I stopped taking the 50 mg and told the Neuro, who suggested it was all probably flu related, and said to start taking it again when my immune system was improved.

Skip to this week. I've been experiencing some stomach pains- ulcer or something, not sure. My regular doctor put me on 30mg of prevacid. Days later, my left elbow/shoulder have been killing me. So I broke down and tried the 50mg dosage of the topamax. This was on the 12th. Last night, after I took the topamax, my chest (right side, and towards the back) started hurting. It kept me awake off and on all night. Needless to say, I didn't know if this was a delayed drug interaction, or what. I called my regular dr's office and the dr on-call said it's most likely not the Prevacid. To go back down to the 25mg dose of Topamax- which is the most likely culprit.

Really annoying. It seems obviously my body can't handle 50 mg of Topamax. I wonder if it is causing liver issues (assuming that is what it's doing here?), or if it's aggravating something already going on? No liver tests were done before I was put on this med, so I'm not sure how the dr would know it was a-ok to put me on it, but anyway. I guess we all take our chances).

I have an appt with my neuro on Wednesday. I'm going to ask the dr to take me off of it. It's barely working for me anymore, and I've already lost the max. amount of weight I felt comfortable losing with it. Not to mention it's not helping my sudden barrage of joint pain.

Is anybody else experiencing this with Topamax? Or *has* experienced this with the drug?

My 1st time w/ Topa: I had the regular weight loss, tingly toes, forgetful words.

This time: just little bit of tingly toes & the "on the tip of my tongue" forgetfulness

I had bloodwork done but my Dr. was more concerned watching the kidneys due to the risk of developing kidney stones.
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

I do think that some people (probably small percentage) are allergic to topamax. I hated the feeling + had severe insomnia & increased depression at only 50mg. Also my liver enzymes went up, which scared me so I definitely went off it. There is another board member who also got rashes & swollen neck or glands, or something like that (not sure). Out of frustration we both tried it a couple of more times and both of us had bad reactions again. I have lost touch with her, or I would direct you to her for info also.

Good luck. Because of my age I am trying to go the natural route now. Even some of the herbs & supps are strong on my stomach, but I am doing OK.

Comment

sylvie74;122049 wrote: :new:

My Neuro put me on 25mg of Topamax several months ago, for nerve pain. It actually worked really well for a while, and before Thanksgiving, she decided to bump me up to 50mg. It just so happened 2-3 days after I started the new dosage, I got really sick. My chest hurt really bad, I had a high fever, (103F), a rash. Oh.. and my hands and feet felt like the size of boxing gloves. The rest of my family got the typical flu... I just had other crappy symptoms. So I stopped taking the 50 mg and told the Neuro, who suggested it was all probably flu related, and said to start taking it again when my immune system was improved.

Skip to this week. I've been experiencing some stomach pains- ulcer or something, not sure. My regular doctor put me on 30mg of prevacid. Days later, my left elbow/shoulder have been killing me. So I broke down and tried the 50mg dosage of the topamax. This was on the 12th. Last night, after I took the topamax, my chest (right side, and towards the back) started hurting. It kept me awake off and on all night. Needless to say, I didn't know if this was a delayed drug interaction, or what. I called my regular dr's office and the dr on-call said it's most likely not the Prevacid. To go back down to the 25mg dose of Topamax- which is the most likely culprit.

Really annoying. It seems obviously my body can't handle 50 mg of Topamax. I wonder if it is causing liver issues (assuming that is what it's doing here?), or if it's aggravating something already going on? No liver tests were done before I was put on this med, so I'm not sure how the dr would know it was a-ok to put me on it, but anyway. I guess we all take our chances).

I have an appt with my neuro on Wednesday. I'm going to ask the dr to take me off of it. It's barely working for me anymore, and I've already lost the max. amount of weight I felt comfortable losing with it. Not to mention it's not helping my sudden barrage of joint pain.

Is anybody else experiencing this with Topamax? Or *has* experienced this with the drug?
        You could still have your physician write a requisition to a lab for a liver profile. That would identify if there was an identifiable problem.
        RPH
        Registered Pharmacist
        Riverpharmacy.com

Comment

Thank you all for posting.

As I mentioned, first I called my regular practitioner's office on the weekend, and was told that it was most likely not the Prevacid responsible for my pain.. to try lowering my Topamax back down to 25mg. (I did not take it last night, as I was nervous to). I also called the pharmacy, and was told there is no known drug interaction between the two, or else they would not have filled the script for Prevacid. And they have no idea about the pain I'm describing. LOL So today I called my Neuro and asked if this could be an allergic reaction to the Topamax @ 50mg.. explaining that I was on Prevacid, etc.. her office told me "go back down to 25, and if the pain goes away, it was probably the Topamax". :sigh:

I have an appointment at the Neuro's on Wednesday, so we'll see what happens... and my appt with the regular doctor is on the 24th. Hopefully one of them will at least contemplate a blood work up for liver function.

Thank you again for posting.

Comment

Sylvie, what happened with your tests? How did the docs resolve your pain? Let us know, please, Thanks
            Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Working...
            X