DR. prescribed campral instead of topomax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I asked, and he was unaware of using topomax for drinking probs. Had a sign for it on the wall to treat migraines, but he knows my situation as my wife calls him about my drinking.
    Should I toss these campral and get another Dr. to prescribe Topomax? Should I just buy topomax online, or should I give campral a shot?

Try Campral

Hey,

I got my gp to prescribe Campral for me and started it a little over 6 weeks ago. It has been an absolute lifesaver! No more cravings and it really is a miracle drug for me.

If you are serious about going completely AF and are rigourous with your pill taking then give it a go because it's absolute gold.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Cheers,
    David (50 Days AF today!)

Comment

Giles,

I'm really glad to hear this. I'm reading the MWO book and its topo all the way so was worried. Are you on an goal to complete abstinence, or eventual moderation?
      giles123;122787 wrote: Hey,

I got my gp to prescribe Campral for me and started it a little over 6 weeks ago. It has been an absolute lifesaver! No more cravings and it really is a miracle drug for me.

If you are serious about going completely AF and are rigourous with your pill taking then give it a go because it's absolute gold.

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Cheers,
      David (50 Days AF today!)

Comment

to spin

Hi Spin,

I've tried the moderation thing many a time and would continually kid myself into thinking I could control it and was too scared to think of living without alcohol forever.

I would be able to have only say 4 or so drinks the first night but *bang* I would just need to have more to drink the next night or the night after.. by the fourth night I was well into my old habits...

I'm pretty sure that it would be extremely difficult to try and moderate AND take the Campral. Campral only works when you're completey AF. I guess after 12 months (which is what I'm initially aiming for) of being on it you could look at tapering back and then eventually maybe re-introducing "controlled drinking" if you think you can. But it's definitely not for me. I've accepted the fact I'm an alcoholic.

Cheers,
        David

Comment

Some part of me, the drunk part, wants to think somewhere down the line I can moderate. The sober part says I should never have another drink again. Not with as much as I was drinking daily. I'll give campral a shot, for a month or two I think.
          Thanks!

Comment

Campral didn't work for me the first time as I drank while taking it - rendering it useless. Topa worked better for me but I had hair loss -- and still do --even after being off of it and back on Campral. It works great for some...only a little for me but between everything, I've been AF for a little over two months so far. So give it a shot -- it did help me if I stay AF..
            sri

Comment

Working...
            X