Naturopath... anyone tried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm booked in to see a naturopath for general wellbeing... I also have a feeling I might be wheat intolerant. Has anyone else tried one and what did you think? Is it worth the investment?

Doo
    :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Hi Doo,

I did go to one about 9 years ago when I was suffering really bad postpartum depression. I went through the eliminating foods diet to see if I had an allergy and some other very expensive tests only to discover there was nothing wrong with me in that way. Then she wanted me to continue on, again at a very high price, for months afterwards which I did not do because I did not think I was getting any benefit. I do think it can have merit, however, especially if you think you have a food allergy. My advice would be to just not get sucked in to a series of appointments or tests all up front until you get a real feel for the doctor. It can be very expensive. Let me know how it goes.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Thank you Lush!

Since posting, I have booked in to see my doctor and will ask her if she'll do some tests.

Comment

Doo, go for it! I am right into naturopathy... it is all good - give it a go and take it from there, good luck xx
        :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
        Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Let us know how you get on Doo doo, this is interesting for a lot of us.

L
          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

I've done a three week cleansing program twice with a naturopathic doctor. It was the longest time I have ever been off the wine, I felt great and lost weight. I also did two 10 day and one 5 day stints on the master cleanse which were amazing. Good luck!

Comment

Scooby, I REALLY want to know what happens for you. I can't tell how many times I have cut out a naturopaths phone #, meaning to ring it....then I don't. I don't want to get into the insurance tangle with regular insurance funded medicine, but unwilling to pay the $$$ for out of pocket out of network . Goodluck, and PLEASE let me know!!!
              Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Ta Tah

I will keep you posted but at this stage, I've decided to just see a Med GP (which I did this arvo) for tests to see if I'm Gluten intolerant. I'm having the blood taken tomorrow.

I haven't ruled out Naturopath yet. My sister sees one and swears by it. She really loves the holistic approach and being able to chat generally about life etc.

Doo

Comment

I have never tried a naturopath but have always dealt with bad reactions to food.

I got tested at my GPs office for a range of allergies and conditions related to wheat, like celiac disease, but none of the tests came out positive.

I think it's sometimes really hard to figure out what foods you are intolerant to, you can be intolerant without being positive on tests.

You might want to read some books about nutrition. I think that the diets that people generally are on, what is out there in society, are very unhealthy. And the type of wheat you eat makes a big difference, i.e. we shouldn't be eating white bread and white pasta. everything should be whole grain. I used to binge on white bread. Apparently it gives you a bad sugar reaction and causes weight gain. and it is somehow linked to serotonin deficiency, i guess you crave carbs when you need serotonin. I haven't solved my diet problems yet but feel like i am on a better road now that I am cutting out junk food and eating the right kinds of carbohydrates.

If you read books specifically about the stomach problems caused by food allergies, they tend to tell you to do elimination diets to figure out what causes bad reactions. These sound like a pain to me. I have cut out wheat but still had symptoms, then cut out all dairy and still had them. I never went the whole way, trying out all foods.

Let us know what happens at the doctors office.

Comment

i went to a naturopath last year and it was expensive but it was also the best money i ever spent. she looked at my blood lab results and found things that pre-identified problems that my regular totally western doc didn't. she went thru my entire regimen of eating, sleeping, moods and made very very specific recommendations for me. i followed most of them. i felt like a new woman within days. she helped me combine what i could do under my health care insurance and know what to ask my regular doc about. she was great. unfortunately for me, she moved outta state and i've been reluctant to find a new one until my finances are better under control. anyway, i learned a lot. it was totally worthwhile.
                    the fearless are merely
                    fearless.
                    people who act in spite
                    of their fear
                    are truly brave.

--j. a. lafond-lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X