Cannot stay awake..is it the topa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a newbie and on week two of topa. I am so tired, I feel like Goldie Hawn in the movie where she fell face down in her soup bowl. I cannot keep my eyes open. I did the supps for a week, then I finally got the topa. Now I am doing everything the book says. What is happening to me? I feel like I could sleep for days!! But the good news is that I have not had a drink for 10 days and I have not done that for years!!! And I am very proud of myself. AA'er's would probably think it is no big deal, but this is a really big deal to me! I am open to hear anything anybody has to say Thanks for your input.:thanks:
    It's a brand new day!

Congrats on 10 days AF. That's wonderful. I can't respond in regards to the Topamax as I am not using that, but I also have been very exhausted. I'm using the rest of the supps too. I asked in a post a few days ago about the exhausted and ironically hungover feeling that I've been experiencing--even though I'm not drinking on a daily basis any more. A few people explained it probably had to do with toxins being cleaned out of my system. Makes sense. I think the fatigue can also be attibuted to depression, at least in my case. How can a person be happy and sad at the same time? Well, even though I'm very happy for every day that I am AF or moderate, I am still in the throes of a major life change. Drinking was basically a bandaid, at first, for other problems. Then it ultimately became the biggest problem of all. The constant struggle is depressing and at the same time can bring bursts of happiness on the road to moderation or abstinence. I'm rambling....sorry. It could be the topamax. Someone who is using topa will respond soon, I'm sure. If it's not the topa, it could just be your body and mind healing after all of the damage alcohol has done. Good luck and kudos again on your success!

Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie. Boy I can relate to the happy and sad at the same time. You are right that I am hung over without the sick stomach and the headache. I just know I cannot keep living my life drinking it away and hating myself. So if I have to sleep alot, I guess I will do it. It's just hard to work and do that at the same time. You keep up the good work too!! Thanks for your kind words!
      It's a brand new day!

Comment

A dietician told me that supps/vitamins can make you feel very off when you first get on them, especially if you are really deficient. It takes several weeks to get in the swing she says, but of course it could be your meds also.

Comment

Yes Topa can cause tiredness. My dr. had me start taking the doses at bedtime.
          :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Oh yes Peggy Sue, the topa is making you tired. It made me be able to sleep on a cold sidewalk. It will level out. The best thing you can do is be active. I know your sayin WHAT?

It will stop......I promise. I still take it.
            Gabby :flower:

Comment

I am only on day two of the Topa and I could fall asleep under a bridge right now...and it is cold...and I could be naked...HA HA...I am very tired and fuzzy headed. lord what we go through and put ourselves through!

Comment

You all are so funny. Yes, I am tired, but I am hanging in there. The good thing, I guess, it that the sleep medications that I used to take are in the bottom drawer and I sure don't need those any more!! Funny I used to think "drink+ drink+ sleep medication= good night's sleep". Now I think, "I hope I can stay awake all day to make it to my pillow tonight before I fall asleep standing straight up".

Okay, and since I am kinda a newbie (week three) how do you put what your mood is number your join date, location , and post?
                It's a brand new day!

Comment

I had the opposite problem when I first went AF and on topa -- couldn't sleep! So I guess the supps and meds affect people differently -- or the detoxification process too. The key thing is to give it all time to settle in -- my sleeplessness did go away -- and so did the sleepiness the others experienced. Getting the alcohol out of one's system is tricky.

Stay strong - you guys are all doing great!
                  sri

Comment

I have not yet started TOPA...waiting on it to arrive...BUT, once I started the supps again about three weeks ago I did notice I was tired....not sure if it is the calms forte or what...I've been that way since starting out though it HAS gotten a bit better.

On being fatigued when going AF I do have one other theory to submit. It is my understanding that once one becomes "dependent" they often eat less..almost living off the alcohol they are ingesting. Perhaps it is a reaction to no longer having the alcohol to burn and the body is having to shift back into the "normal" mode...taking awhile to get back into gear..

Just another theory.....
                    :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Working...
                    X