October Mod Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October Mod Squad

HURRAY! A new month from which to view life and the living thereof! I look forward to spending the month here with you all, moderating and visiting and enjoying our time together. Thank you all for getting me through September (mostly in one piece, even) and let's all look forward to getting ourselves to All Soul's Day in good form.
    :l :h :l :h :l

October Mod Squad

Thanks for getting us started, NNG! And what a way to look at November 1st. Thanks for reminder. I love All Soul's Day. Also HURRAY is a favorite saying of our 2 yo granddaughter. She shouted that out when plane landed when they came for their FL visit. Welcome to October.

Getting ready to move out from one condo to the other. Daughter, SIL and friends coming to FL tomorrow for a long weekend. Since they own half the condo, we move out for their visits. And they will be "on holiday" so lots of drinking. I need to mind my own biz and behave. Not to mention friends just returned from MN for the season and already invited us over for a fish fry tonight. This is my life; it's a wonderful life; everything in moderation, TMH!

Hey, Lasha, don't feel bad. I had to learn that lesson also - do not drink during day. The last 3 times the beverage cart came by us (out on golf course) and others ordered drinks I have said no, thank you. Silly as it may sound, it feels empowering.

Let's have an Outstanding October!

TMH
    The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

October Mod Squad

Hello everyone, I've only been able to briefly read a few posts over the last month and I think it's about time to get more involved. A special hello to NNG and thankyou for this thread!
      I've been reasonably good at managing a few AF days each week over September, very much to my surprise. And the drinking nights have been moderated mostly. I can see how easy it could be to slip into old habits though and I'm determined to keep going.
      My Father is visiting me in 2 weeks, last time he came he commented on how much weight I'd gained. I was horrified, (not that my size is any of his business to comment on-Dads will be Dads) but with drinking so much less I've actually already lost 4 kg without even trying. So when I considered walking down the street to get a bottle of red tonight ( there are about 10 bottle shops I can walk to from my flat) I just thought about whether he will notice a change when he sees me again!

I am also intrigued to know what is All Souls' Day?
      Thankyou everyone for being here and you all have my support, we're all in the same boat.
      X
      Em

Comment

October Mod Squad

Another question, I used the drink tracker for the end of Aug and all of Sept. I now can't look back via the archives. I wanted to note down my progress to show my Doctor. Archives only go upto 2010. Is there any way for me to see my recent history as I need a reminder to write it down? Perhaps this month I will also keep a written record.
        Thankyou
        Em

Comment

October Mod Squad

ToMyHealth;1563205 wrote:
          Hey, Lasha, don't feel bad. I had to learn that lesson also - do not drink during day. The last 3 times the beverage cart came by us (out on golf course) and others ordered drinks I have said no, thank you. Silly as it may sound, it feels empowering.

TMH
          Hi all,
          I haven't been posting much but think of everyone here often so thought I'd check in. Yes, TMH, you really do have more challenges than most when life has become "one big party" so to speak. The only time I tend to drink daily is when on vaca and your life is one big vaca LOL so very, difficult. Good for you to no to the daytime stuff. I used to look for the lunch place (kids and all) that served wine. And definitely would have a glass with lunch when with a girlfriend. That has all gone away as I have come to realize that it only makes me tired and want to take a nap or demotivates me and I don't get anything done. I've come a long way too with lots of changes in the many years I've checked in here. The support of others has been a great help.

Will post more later. Hi to al and thank NNG for stating the Oct thread!

:l
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

October Mod Squad

Hi All,

NNG, TMH, Eve and anyone else looking in.

Right, back to basics, I'm not going for the weekly noon 2 drinks with the dog walkers because I'm an alcoholic and cant stop like they can. I even told them I end up drinking during the afternoon if I start early and was told to come and just have a soft drink :H:H I don't think so!

Pity, I used to enjoy it after my weeks work but have to accept that's the way it is. I'm trying to convince myself I might enjoy the couple of drinks but wont enjoy feeling crap on Saturday by drinking more and ruining the weekend.

Look forward to waking up tomorrow and feeling good.

Lash the moderator
            It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

October Mod Squad

Welcome Em! Good choice to have AF days. Wt loss is one of the side benefits. All Souls Day is a day where we remember those who have passed away during previous year. You light a candle for each. I remember the service the funeral home had on 11/1 after my Mom & sister had passed (3 weeks apart). It felt healing. Might I say that possibly your dad's comment was concern for your health. Just a possibility. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Lasha, sometimes those decisions are hard bUt we know ourselves. Eve says so too. And Eve you are right - year long vacation. I know you get it. Can't make it my excuse, however.

Time to hop on bike, go to fitness center to work out. Hopefully today I will avoid rain, unlike yest. Beautiful light showers in the midst of sunshine. Too busy staying safe to look for the rainbow . And, Lasha, I plan to feel good tomorrow too!

TMH

Comment

October Mod Squad

Happy Friday, everyone!
                Hey, Lasha, glad you are checking in. We miss you when you are gone!

Emmy Lou, dang! That's frustrating about the DrinkTracker. I just went back and tried to find my old records, too, just to see. Hmmm.... maybe someone who has been here a long time can help us out. Does anyone know if there is a place we can ask such questions?

I am heading back up to the lake today, to check on possible windstorm damage. Keep your fingers crossed that all is well. I'll take my little scottie dog and she'll have lots of fun running off leash.

Have a good weekend, my friends. Knowing you are here keeps me strong.

Oh, Emmy Lou, All Souls' Day and All Saints' Day are Halloween and the day after... very archaic terms that no one much uses anymore. I'm just weird in that I like to resurrect old customs. I much prefer the old way of celebrating Halloween to the current fad of blood and razors and such.

Huh! Had to bring this back to edit it... I just learned something. I googled the two days listed above and found out I was wrong. All Saints' Day is also known as All Hallows' Day, and is Nov. 1. Hallowe'en or All Hallows' Eve is obviously the night before, Oct. 31. And, All Souls' Day is the day we are supposedly supposed to pray for all those dear departed who WEREN"T saints..... huh. Who knew? Glad you asked, Emmy....

Comment

October Mod Squad

Oh wow! Thankyou for telling me about All Souls Day. Well Halloween is a foreign holiday here that is becoming more popular but it seems to be a Hollywood movie thing. I think from what you've told me that it seems more like the Day of The Dead, which some people celebrate here in the same way. There is a lovely lady near my place who invites people to the rotunda in the park to lay wreaths and light candles for those who've passed.
                  Back to the AF thing... I found that I was easily able to not drink last night and meet my boyfriend at his place after work (12.30 night time)! I brought with me a lower alcohol bottle of Shiraz. He had also bought a bottle of red but I only had two glasses from mine before we eventually crashed for the night after talking about the week.
                  I had planned to drink with a girlfriend tonight and am happy enough with the results (6 drinks may seem like a lot and probably explain my rambling) I'm just so happy to finally connect with people on a thread here.
                  You are all an inspiration and you can count yourselves responsible for me being able to drive to the country tomorrow at the crack of dawn to pick up my new dishwasher! (2ndhand ebay)! I've saved so much money since I started moderating.
                  Take care everyone and thankyou for being there!
                  X em

Comment

October Mod Squad

Yes PS bout the drink tracker, maybe I should just contact the site moderator...moderator???

Comment

October Mod Squad

Weekend with kids was exactly what I expected. Over the top. I did ok on Fri nite, then played golf with dd and friend on Sat. Got caught up in guys ahead of us buying us drinks (ahem, daytime drinking) and sure enough went over the top for Sat. Watched a college football game, then pizza & wine & then at least we quit. They went on to a Blues Bar.

Sunday Early a.m. Tee time. I swore it was the last time I was going to play golf hungover! This was the last of the Summer Couples Golf so big party last night. Brought O'Douls, had one, then drank water and had just as good if not better time than if drinking. Respectable adult party;most were leaving by 7:30p including moi.

New day, new week! And enough about me. How's everyone?

TMH

Comment

October Mod Squad

Happy Monday, everyone!
                        All is well here. Going to start painting the basement today... I want to turn it from a basement into a library/craft room/storage area that doesn't smell like old people. We love our house, but there is this unfortunate ... um... odor that remains from all the masses of things that my dear godparents stored for decades and decades. I need to paint and seal every bit of wood, I guess. It will be an on-going project for the remains of the year, no doubt. Should have started it when the weather was nice, but, well, couldn't make myself do it. Slowly and surely wins the race... or as I like to say, Step by step in the right direction.

Have a wonderful week, my friends!:h

Comment

October Mod Squad

Hello all! It has been forever since I have posted....I lurk constantly though! I am doing pretty good with moderating still....at least during the week! I do not drink at all anymore during the week, but I tend to fall on Friday and Saturday nights with my husband. He is still drinking a little during the week and it has not bothered me at all, but for some reason Friday at 5 o'clock my willpower diminishes. I am drinking much less beer on those nights though...I am guessing not drinking during the week at all for a while has lowered my tolerance. Good thing. Husband is going out of town this weekend, so I am planning my first AF weekend in quite some time. I have already had a friend ask me to go to happy hour, but I declined because I really want to have a full week AF. Progress not perfection!

Hope you are all doing well! So glad to have a place that I can be completely honest in and not feel judged!

Comment

October Mod Squad

Hump day. Glad it's back to routine. Am starting a Bible Study today. Used to belong to one here. Several of us weren't pleased with denominations being put down, format in general so we're going to try start our own. Am kind of the leader today...talk about the blind leading the blind. LOL

NNG how 's the paint project? Sounds extremely ambitious!

Hey, Texas, nice to hear from you again. You're doing super! Please chime in; we like success stories.

Rebirth, you stopped by so briefly and I was looking forward to reading about you too. Still doing major exercise?

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

TMH

Comment

October Mod Squad

Morning, all.
                              Texas, you have given me a new motto "Progress, not perfection." Thank you SO much. I have been beating myself up recently for not being as strong as I want to be, and that will really really help me. I'm also going to join you for a week AF. Step in the right direction, for sure.

TMH, so, here's the story with my painting.... this has been a project that I have wanted to get my teeth into for a long time, but never took the first step because I thought I had to totally clean out the basement (lug all that stuff up the stairs) in order to do all the painting at once. But then it dawned on me when we had to clear out one corner for some plumbing access.... I can do it one corner at a time. That is my current plan. No big horrendous job, just do it as I feel the energy and the motivation. And so, progress is being made! Hurray! (Hmmm.... progress, not perfection again?)

Texas, you said you enjoy coming here for the support and the honesty and the no judgement. I so totally agree with you. I have been reading the main boards, and I know that there are many folks there who are totally supportive, too. But this is the place I feel the most comfortable, whether I am trying to mod or trying to abstain. Great and lovely people down here.

Comment

Working...
                              X