To Stay or Leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Stay or Leave

The answer to this question is personal.

For me, we got along famously when he wasn't overdrinking. We fought little about any other subject: not money, children, religion, etc. We work together and that put me in a position to cover for him at work often. On the other hand, it also gave us more opportunity to deal with things so that muscle was strengthened for huge things like this.

Being married made it easier for me since the promise of making it thru thick and thin had already been made. That doesn't mean I would have stayed if he had been abusive. I learned not to have certain types of discussions with him when he was overdrinking. I have heard family members here use the term "walking on eggshells" and I can certainly relate.

When one is sick certain boundaries that would otherwise never be crossed seem to disappear. More apt to be angry, possibly violent, thoughts of suicide, etc. Basic standards of self-dignity are gone. We all have needs, sometimes we just have to check ourselves on whether those needs are sick or healthy.

I felt that if I was not married than my options would have been easier. But when he wasn't overusing, he made me laugh. I felt adored; listened to and understood; appreciated; inspired and challenged. No relationship is perfect. We each have our thang to deal with for the rest of our lives, that thang that will require constant managing. The pros still outweighed the cons.

Just wanted to share. Dx
    * * I love Determinator * *

To Stay or Leave

and girl he can cook!!!

Comment

To Stay or Leave

Oh yeah, then there's that! I am at the gym 6hrs per week working off his cooking.

Comment

To Stay or Leave

Hi De
        I admire you for seeing the good in him and helping him get help.
        Marriage is always work but I can say after 42 years, it is worth it.

Love you both!
        Nancy
        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

To Stay or Leave

De - Thank you for joining us, sometimes I am so court up in me and my problem that I sometimes forget how lucky I am - reading your post reminds me that if my man is still here even though he does not know that I come here to MWO, but he has noticed the difference in me and probably does not want to jinx it by asking any questions that he loves me and will stand by me - some times the unsaid things are shouted out the loudest.

I will tell him when I am ready to, at the moment I still feel very vulnerable and not that confident in myself. Time will tell and so will I.
          Though no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending

Comment

To Stay or Leave

Kimmy,
            I know with Determinator it was very difficult to be honest. He was unable to say 'alcoholic' for years - rather it was a drinking problem. He would sneak drinks, hover in the kitchen, not be forthcoming about how much he really had to drink.
            I think once he stated aloud that he had an issue, then it was expected he to do something about it, which of course is a lot harder to act on. The non-drinker then wants to help do plan and the overdrinker is not quite at that speed and now feels pressured.
            If your guy is truly your friend than he probably knows your patterns. He knows when you are antsy and what your triggers are.
            I think the hardest thing for me to accept was that this was not just a choice of not drinking. It was changing lifestyles, which is not an overnight process. To allow him to make mistakes while trying to find his line to toe.
            I wish you much strength Kimmy! (Why do you have egg on your face???)

Comment

To Stay or Leave

Dx, I am glad you are here just like I am fortunate to know Mrs. Macks. I think that your input will be valueable to all of us so I vote ...Stay

What you just wrote is so powerful. I hope you know that.
              "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

To Stay or Leave

Beaches,
                I perused this over to refer this to wifeof and realized that you thought I was questioning leaving the forum! I was actually pondering the common question for spouses who are with overdrinkers to stay or leave them. Thanks for cheering me on. Thanks to all of you.
                Determinator is trying to find his place with moderating, and even if moderating is a fit for him. It's a difficult time. Thanks for supporting us.
                Dx

Comment

Working...
                X