Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satori's back!

Hi folks,

Just checking in - have not been here for a while - but as some of you know, I have been on a skiing vacation.

Had a fantastic 2 weeks in Colorado with my family and some friends.

Alcohol was consumed in very small quantities (it was EASY not to drink too much, as the dehydration effects of being at 10,000 to 13,000 feet make it a VERY BAD idea to drink very much anyway! Been there in the past - done that - didn't like it one little bit!).

I am now back at sea level and feeling very fit.
    I am one of those who takes my skiing very seriously - on the first lift in the morning and one of the last off the hill in the evening. So 16 days of skiing HARD (it is the only way I know!!! ) at altitude gets me fairly fit real quick. Lost another few pounds in weight on the trip and am now about where I want to be in terms of weight.
    (I have lost about 14 pounds since I started here 3 months ago - there are a lot of calories in beer, and not a lot of calories used in sitting around, trashed, watching TV!)

I am now preparing for a backpacking / camping trip into the mountains on the West coast of Scotland in early May with a couple of friends.
    We will be carrying all our gear all the time (ie no base camp to leave tents pitched for several days etc.) so no room for alcohol in the pack - another week of abs will be racked up without any effort!

Tonight is a Gym night - and a couple of "satoris" afterwards of course!!

Hope you are all well, and hope you are all achieving your goals.

Talk to you soon - it's good to be back!

Satori

xxx
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Satori's back!

Welcome back, you world travelor!

Comment

Satori's back!

Hi Luvu

LOL - I actually do not travel all that much - I just seem to have had to travel a lot since I started here!

I probably have to visit Nigeria on busines later in the year - and that is it!

You Americans probably travel more than I do in a year just going to the supermarket!

I remember being in Dallas on business many years ago and being asked if I wanted to go to a restaurant that was "just down the road".
      Turned out that just down the road was 35miles away.
      For a Scotsman, that is half way across the country!!!
      For us - "just down the road" means less than a half mile!

You have heard the old saying.

"Americans think 100 years is a long time and Brits think 100 miles is a long way!"

Seeya

Satori
      xxx
      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Satori's back!

Hey Satori

Nice to hear from you. Good on you to lose 14lbs. I've managed 2 but then I have been drinking...not as much but as they say one too many.

Chat to you soon.
        Take care. Mandy x

Comment

Satori's back!

Satori, glad to have my workout buddy back - I'm betting the legs & core are in killer shape right now!

Awesome job on keeping the drinking under control. I was up in the Denver area for a college basketball tourney one year and remember feeling the same way about having a beer (back then it was 3.2 and that was more than enough)!!

Mandy, hang in there - you're doing great. You been drinking a little but not as much as usually, so you're making progress. Keep setting goals and reaching for them and you'll get there.
          Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Satori's back!

Hi Satori,

Lovely to have you back xx
            sigpicXXX

Comment

Satori's back!

Thanks Guys - it is good to be back.

AAthlete - yep legs and core in pretty good shape - weather in Scotland is creeping towards spring - so time to get my road bike out!

I fitted an aero carbon fibre seatpost to it (it is a "compact road frame design" so has a long seatpost) after I laid it up for winter last year, so I need to see if it makes a difference - the things I will do to avoid shaving my legs!!!!

Must say I have some reservations about that seatpost - it is a VERY slim aero profile - and looks like it would cause a LOT of damage if it snapped (Would bring tears to the eyes, I can tell you!!) :shocked:

Hope carbon is as strong as it is reported to be!

See ya

Take care

Satori

Comment

Satori's back!

MANDY1981;124358 wrote: Hey Satori

Nice to hear from you. Good on you to lose 14lbs. I've managed 2 but then I have been drinking...not as much but as they say one too many.

Chat to you soon.
                Take care. Mandy x
                Hi Mandy,

You are doing great! Losing 2 pounds is still progress in the right direction - I am afraid I am replacing my alcohol addiction with the other addiction in my life - exercise!

Cutting out the drinking has reduced my calorie intake by probably around 1200 to 1600 (or MORE! - scary when you actually try to work it out!) calories a day!
                I didn't eat a lot back then!
                It is relatively hard to replace that by eating food - well - the kind of food I eat anyway!

I always ate relatively healthily, low fat, lots of fruit and veg - no sweet tooth - so never did eat sweets or desserts etc!

Add the calorie loss by drastically upping my exercise levels and it is not a great surprise that I have lost weight over the last three months or so!
                Just had 14 days of hard skiing for 7 hours per day - that works out at around 4200 calories burned per day!

I am surprised I didn't lose more weight actually!
                I don't think I have much more fat I want lose to be honest - I am pretty lean now!

Take care - talk to you soon, - off to the gym

Satori
                xxx

Comment

Satori's back!

Satori, you'll like it - the carbon eats up those road imperfections!

I've been riding my Giant TCR Elite (compact frame) for the last two years with an aero carbon post and have had no issues. If my 190lb butt can't break it I'm guessing you'll be fine.

Many happy rides.
                  Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Satori's back!

Welcome Back Satori! You sound like you are in a great place and have this moderation thing all figured out. Your travels have me jealous......
                    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Satori's back!

AAthlete;124459 wrote: Satori, you'll like it - the carbon eats up those road imperfections!

I've been riding my Giant TCR Elite (compact frame) for the last two years with an aero carbon post and have had no issues. If my 190lb butt can't break it I'm guessing you'll be fine.

Many happy rides.
                      Hi AA

Nice Bike!!

Glad to hear the seatpost is up to it! I was considering armour plated underwear for the first few rides!!!

I too have a Giant compact frame cycle so we are on the same page here!
                      Mine is lower spec than yours tho and is an "aluxx" compact frame model from several years ago.
                      It doesn't get enough use to be honest as the legendary Scottish weather keeps me off the roads a fair bit. I do not much enjoy cycling for miles in the rain!

I also have a beaten up old mountain bike I use to cut down on walking time when I venture into the mountains on backpacking trips.
                      I usually use the bike as far as it can take me, then hide it in the heather and continue on foot!
                      The mountain bike gets more use. I also use it for fitness as there is a forested hill not far from where I work, so I often put the bike in the trunk of my car, and head off to the forest after work to get good and muddy before heading home.

Catch you later

Satori

Comment

Satori's back!

satori;124869 wrote:

I too have a Giant compact frame cycle so we are on the same page here!
                        Mine is lower spec than yours tho and is an "aluxx" compact frame model from several years ago.
                        I love it when you guys talk dirty.

Comment

Satori's back!

lushy;124463 wrote: Welcome Back Satori! You sound like you are in a great place and have this moderation thing all figured out. Your travels have me jealous......
                          Hiya L,

Nice to hear from you.

Yep - my head is at a pretty good place at the moment, but I am not so sure about having the moderation thing sorted.

I am a whole lot better than I was before I found this place - but last night's plan fell apart pretty quickly after I got to the pub after the gym!!! :upset:
                          Nothing too drastic - more of a close call!

I had planned to have a couple of soft drinks - but ended up drinking a couple of pints of beer (the stuff we drink here is pretty strong too 5.2% alcohol!).
                          My brain was saying soda and lime - but something else entirely came out of my mouth!!!

That was OK - but then I got home and Mrs Satori had just opened a bottle of red wine.
                          She took a sip and declared that she didn't want it after all, said it tasted a bit strange.
                          Well - I HAD to taste it to see if it was OK, didn't I? - but tasting it obviously involved drinking the whole glass, just to make SURE it was OK you understand!.

Luckily - sense then kicked in and I decided to head for bed at the same time as SWMBO.
                          If I had stayed up later I WOULD have carried on drinking.

I guess I can use it as a warning! I obviously can not let my guard down too far yet.

End result - slightest hint of a fuzzy head this morning just enough to remind me of the bad old days.

New plan for tonight has to be ABS - I usually now allow myself two drinks on two evenings of the week - usually Friday and Saturday.
                          I had my Friday Quota (and some!) last night.

Ho Hum - the fight goes on!

Hope you well and are achieving all you hoped for!

Take care of yourself

Satori
                          xxx

Comment

Satori's back!

tawnyfrog;124870 wrote: I love it when you guys talk dirty.
                            Hi Tawny,

How's it goin?

Yep - we guys get all hot under the collar about our "toys" don't we.
                            It does seem to be a guy thing, doesn't it?
                            It is not often you see a girl getting all dreamy eyed and distant about a titanium chainring bolt or the latest set of aero bars with an 00000.2 coefficient of drag.

I guess we get a brain like this to compensate for the fact that girls get a brain that can do twenty things at the same time, while still yakking to her friends on the phone.

Take care

Satori
                            xxx

Comment

Satori's back!

Salute Satori! (raising mine high) what a grand tale of fitness adventure!
                              your fears about the seatpost reminded me of something I was painfully close to some years ago when my bike buddy's seatpost snapped and his but landed on the swiftly rotating rear knobby tire of his mountain bike, making a horrible sound that I can't describe...and his manly bits getting carried forward into the rear brake assembly...oh, bad bad bad. sure can sing at a lovely high pitch now tho! no, really he was ok after an evening of vitamin I (ice).
                              Glad to have ya back Bro,

D
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X