Do you talk to yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you talk to yourself?

Go ahead and admit it, you talk to yourself. It’s not something to be embarrassed about—self-talk can be used to your benefit in order to greatly improve your success in controlling your desires.

One way to use it is to constructively direct the anger you feel when you’re tempted by an unhealthy or inappropriate desire. Instead of getting angry with yourself, get angry at the offense, and at the stumbling block it poses. This will help you resist it.

Another way self-talk can be used is to confront yourself and your appetites in order to bring rationality back into play when temptation threatens to confuse and disorient you. When you actively engage your mind by talking to yourself, you’ll be less likely to act without thinking, and you’ll reinforce what you believe to be true, right, and good.

Make no mistake about it. Self-talk can be a very spiritually wise thing to do. Listen to what the master theologian, J. I. Packer says on this topic in his book, A Quest For Godliness: “Richard Baxter convinced me long ago that regular discursive meditation, in which as he quaintly put it you ‘imitate the most powerful preacher you ever heard’ in applying spiritual truth to yourself, as well as turning that truth into praise, is a vital discipline for spiritual health. This unanimous Puritan view is now mine too.”

“If you hear a voice within you saying you are a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.” - Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890)

"Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation." - 1 Peter 2:1-2
    Love you all.
    Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Do you talk to yourself?

"Imitate the most powerful preacher you ever heard".....

Thank you SB.

L xxx
    Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Do you talk to yourself?

So right Nancy...

in fact, most of my waking time is spent trying to be conscious about what is the real consciousness with in me (the God or Light or Nature within me), and what is just my ego and/or addiction talking.

It's something that I just can't afford to lose sight of. Constant attention is required to make sure I never lose awareness of what I'm using my mind for, every second of the day.

It's just too easy otherwise to fall into old habits.

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder.

Gem x
      Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

Do you talk to yourself?

Nancy, I have talked to myself since I was a child. I remember my Grandfather sitting under his apple tree with his pipe lips moving, I always thought he was talking to himself; Mom said he was praying. Either was good. I to this day wheter home or out, do it. Just try to have a "hi" converstaion with a stranger. they look you as if you've just grown a tail. so I the lone crazy lady go about muttering either externally or internally. want to hear something funny? I have a friend who is very religious. She and her husband have a wonderful food ministry in Africa. But when she prays and happens to be out in traffic she grabs her cell phone to make it look like she's talking to someone on the other end because she's afraid someone will think she's crazy!! I asked her who cares? She just said I can't help it Mar
        Smiles
        Mar

Comment

Do you talk to yourself?

Nancy, I found this to be very useful last night.

Over the weekend we had a birthday part for my son and his aunt. For the aunt, my wife bought a bottle of Absolut to make martinis and what is left is still sitting on the counter.

I don't know why, but the image of that bottle kept popping into my head last night. Not because I wanted a drink (I didn't) but maybe because of all that it represented.

Anyway, I turned it around and every time that the image popped into my head, I imagined that it had a big poison 'skull & crossbones' on it because that's what it now represents to me.
          Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Do you talk to yourself?

I talk to myself every single day. I ask me questions, answer me, argue with me and even pat me on the back. I look in the mirror and smile at me. I even sneak up on me and say BOO! I entertain me and make myself laugh all the time. Sometimes I get my very best laughs at me. I kinda like me the best and think I am pretty fun to be with.

So there ya have it. : )
            Gabby :flower:

Comment

Do you talk to yourself?

Sometimes I'm the best listener to me!!
              "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Do you talk to yourself?

LOL..me too...I guess I talk to myself when I journal. My husband talks to his self. I'll look out of the window to see him doing it as he is doing yard work..he gets the funniest expression on his face!

Comment

Working...
                X