your opinion about topiramate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi - can I ask you all a quick question. I have the books & CD's. I've just ordered all the supplements. I am in two minds about the topiramate though - I feel really scared about the side effects (albeit the weight loss part!) and am wondering if the info I've read on the medical websites is a bit over the top, or if it really is quite difficult to function. Do you have any advice? Waiting on everything to arrive before I begin the moderation process! Excited.
    trying :new:

Welcome to MWO. Topa is very much a personnal choice some people love it some hate it. Some can stop without it some can't. Read more of the posts on this part of the site for more info on side effects etc. You might find you are okay with just the sups and cds. I don't actually take topa but I'm sure those that do will reply pretty soon.
    Suz
    Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Hi, I haven't posted in quite some time, but my doc just started me on 25mgs topa last week, and I have actually been eating more, and have already felt less cravings to drink. I go up to 50 mgs later this week, so I'll let you know what happens a few days after that.

Best of Luck to you.

mw

Comment

I'm a new and just got my order of Tomamax. I ordered online 200 pills of Generic Topamax 25mg, but received 50 pills 100 mg and am sooo disappointed! They are hard to break in 4 parts. It took them 4 weeks to ship them to me. So I guess I’ll go to my doctor. I was hoping I didn’t have to. Has anyone else had that problem with that Indian company?

Comment

I took topa for my first 90 days and I loved it, it definitely made a difference in my mindset, and i didnt have any major side effects ( i got the tingly toes, wasnt bad at all) I was scared at first too, but wasnt bad at all, I know the higher in dose you go the more side effects you are likely to have, and my doc said lower doses are quite effective for helping drinkers, and I found that to be true....so personal decision...yes...but for me it was awesome.
          It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
          James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

eg;127290 wrote: I'm a new and just got my order of Tomamax. I ordered online 200 pills of Generic Topamax 25mg, but received 50 pills 100 mg and am sooo disappointed! They are hard to break in 4 parts. It took them 4 weeks to ship them to me. So I guess I?ll go to my doctor. I was hoping I didn?t have to. Has anyone else had that problem with that Indian company?
            Wow...sorry to hear that...I got my Topa from them yesterday...I ordered 200 50mg tablets and got just what I ordered. I am splitting them in two for the first week or so....they DID take awhile to get here...I was wondering if they were ever going to make it.
            :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Question: were your pills pink? I think they are coated so not to have the bitteness & may be even harder to cut.
              :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

I dont think I could have stopped drinkin without the topa. I am so glad to be where I am and highly reccommend it.
                Gabby :flower:

Comment

jcilia;126838 wrote: Hi - can I ask you all a quick question. I have the books & CD's. I've just ordered all the supplements. I am in two minds about the topiramate though - I feel really scared about the side effects (albeit the weight loss part!) and am wondering if the info I've read on the medical websites is a bit over the top, or if it really is quite difficult to function. Do you have any advice? Waiting on everything to arrive before I begin the moderation process! Excited.
                  JC,
                  First, welcome....you have come to the right place...as many have said Topa is a personal choice...for me...I've tried doing just the supplements a couple of times in the past and they just haven't been quite enough....I started back on the supplements from the plan (and a few others...ie SAMe) a few weeks ago and started on Topa a couple of days ago. I found my cravings were very slightly decreased with the supplements but not enought to really help...It is really too early to tell on the Topa for me but so far I see promise....
                  All I can suggest is if you are hesitant to go the Topa route try just the supps at first and see if they help...many are helped by just using the supps...if it works for you that is fantastic...unfortunately some of us need that extra kick from Topa.

Hope this helps!
                  Blessings.

Comment

I don't think i could have done it without the Topa. But, I don't think I am brave enough to have done the Topa without my doctor and a real prescription. From what I have read, people who have trouble with Topa know that from the very begining. 25-50mgs and they can't handle it. I never really had any problems and I am taking 200mgs a day. Sorry, no weight loss either! Everyone is different. Just do what you feel is right.
                    Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Hi and welcome! :welcome:

I am in week three, or actually I think today is four...oh well. Who cares...all I know is that I do not have that crazy craving and I don't think the supps would have done it alone. I told my Dr. I was having migranes (had to tell a little fibb) and I noticed a difference right away (the cravings). I didn't really notice a loss in appetite, but then I love to eat. You might try the supps and the CD's and see if you feel that helps and then if it doesn't then choose the add the topa. I just knew in my heart I needed the full blast approach. As far as not being able to function, I started thinking about that one....did I really function that well "under the influence"? I sure thought I did. So what's the difference? I'll probably act as normal as I ever did!:H You hang in there and so glad you are with us!

Peggy Sue
                      It's a brand new day!

Comment

PeggySue;127600 wrote: Hi and welcome! :welcome:

I am in week three, or actually I think today is four...oh well. Who cares...all I know is that I do not have that crazy craving and I don't think the supps would have done it alone. I told my Dr. I was having migranes (had to tell a little fibb) and I noticed a difference right away (the cravings). I didn't really notice a loss in appetite, but then I love to eat. You might try the supps and the CD's and see if you feel that helps and then if it doesn't then choose the add the topa. I just knew in my heart I needed the full blast approach. As far as not being able to function, I started thinking about that one....did I really function that well "under the influence"? I sure thought I did. So what's the difference? I'll probably act as normal as I ever did!:H You hang in there and so glad you are with us!

Peggy Sue
                        Good point about the functioning Peggy....I feel the same way....I also feel the same about the double-barrel shotgun approach...need to use all guns on this thing.....so far this TOPA seems to really be doing the job....I don't have the cravings...I DO seem to sit around in the evening at somewhat of a "loss" for what to do...like something is missing.

Comment

I'm trying to cut my 100 mg Topa into 4 parts. It's not easy, but I'm doing it anyway. It's my 3rd day and I don't feel any different. I've been listening to the tapes also and taking the subs. How long until I start feeling the difference?

Comment

cutting topa

a pill cutter will do the job with the 100 mg simply do the process twice -- that's what I used to do with my Xanax! The best pill cutter I found was at a dollar store! now I do it with my topa I first started with 25 and find 50 works for me -- I tried campral and was irritated by having to take it three times a day... Liz

Comment

I got a pretty good pill cutter at WalMart myself...I got the 50mg Topa tablets and have been splitting them...in a couple of days I'll be up to using the full size tablets so won't need it for a week (until I get up to the 75mg a day dosage).

Comment

Working...
                              X