Topamax aaaaghhh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topamax aaaaghhh

Don't know what to do. Got my gp to agree to topamax. I'm the first person in Belgium to be prescribed it for alcohol control. I'm on week 2. Up to 50 mg per day. Not feeling too good on it. Very spaced out. Lost my efficiency and don't feel 'sharp' which I'm finding extremely irritating, especially as I need to be at the moment. Went to therapy today. Therapist was appalled. Almost implied that being drunk was better. Felt I was so absent. Said she wished I would just stop looking for solutions outside myself, and just take responsibility for myself. (Last year tried month at retreat to kick alcohol, have tried antabuse. Habit is psychological, not yet physical). She asked me if I really thought I was being kind to my body in the state I was in. I had to admit I wasn't. All this has left me very confused. Don't know whether I'm just suffering 'teething' problems with the Topamax and whether I shouldn't just stick it out a bit more (instead of abandoning as usual), or whether it isn't good for me.

Topamax aaaaghhh

Give it some time, the "topa dopa" willl pass, and don't go past 50mg, you really don't need to unless you feel an overwhelming urge to drink all the time. Good Luck and don't listen to that doc. Give it some more time this is totally normal. :h
    Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

Time truly is the secret. Some people feel nothing at all, titrate up every 4 days. Some people take 3 weeks to get used to each new dosage. I'm in my 6th week and still walking around in a semi-fog. But the benefits are definitely worth it. I haven't had a drink this whole time. Haven't had much to eat either. But I remember what I've done every single night and I haven't had one single hangover. Stick it out. You'll be glad you did.
      marcel
      Reach deep, find your will power.

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

It will seem like all the sudden and the fog will dissapate. If it is helping you not to drink stay with it. Topa was my saving grace. Almost 11 months AF. Do like happy says and just stay at 50mg. I swear.....if it werent for the topa I wouldnt have made it this far.
        Gabby :flower:

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

I've come to the conclusion that the AF side of it really has to come from a determination doesn't it? What gives you that determination? PLEASE

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

Now thats a hard question. For me I just plain got there. I got tired of wantin it and not doin it. That in itself wore me down enough where I got that determination and stubborness to pull it off.
            Know what I mean?

Plus I knew that time was tradeing time
            for my lack of determination as well.
            And ya can't bring that back.

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

Bollocks to the therapist! I am appalled! Ditch her and find someone less judgemental.

Topa saved me from sliding into god only knows what fate, and dozens and dozens of people on these boards. at 150mg per day I have no dopeyness any more and no desire to drink.

the fog passes. If you are struggling, try adrafinil as well - worked for me!

good luck and god bless. Kate x

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

I agree with Ripley. That therapist sounds appalling! Shaking my head in amazement!

Sorry I can help you with the Topa advice.

Doo
                :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

Only just read your post, topa has helped me to get where I am today,
                  which is af for the longest time ever. I was fortunate not to have bad
                  side effects,only tingling and a little fuzzy at times, but booze did far
                  worse to me. Your therapist, obviously has no experience of alcohol
                  problems, she/he sounds like the sort to tell somebody with depression
                  or anxiety probs. to " pull yourself together".Talk to your gp.
                  Best of luck xx

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

Too soon to say....give it more time. Two weeks was when my initial side effects started to go away. Keep us posted & good luck.
                    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

kali

:new: Hi, I have just started reading, and find this a very helpful place. I really need the support, drinking is just so difficult to escape... It is good to know there is a place to find this help. Thanks

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

hang in there work throught the fog sometimes with topa nothing makes senses on high doeses im on 200mg and that took me awhile to get too give yourself sometime don't listen to doc it takes time sometimes u feel like you are going stir crazy but just give it time. pm me anytime cheers kim
                        Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win!!

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

Welcome Kali, there is tons of support here . Just keep on readin and you'll be amazed. Download RJ's book. I know, drinkin is hard to escape, but it can be done. : )

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

i cant help with the topa cant get it in uk, i agree stick your therapist i bet she hugs trees !!
                            what helps my determination was the person i was seeing in the mirror dull eyes puffy face and no interest which is bloody selfish of me with 4 kids and a fab hubby, its not easy but 13 days down the line i feel like i have been given a second chance at life, this site is a god gift and the people are so supportive, stick with whatever feels right for you we will allsupport you
                            hugs

Comment

Topamax aaaaghhh

Cooking, look at all the people who are dopey and foggy for no reason. At least ours will wear off. They have no hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X