advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice please

i have been waiting to see a counsellor since january, i was reffered by my G.P due to huge problems at work i have been off sick since then as the g.p wants me to have coping strategies in place before i go back to work, none of this is to do with my drinking well my reactions probably were in hindsight and i have never told my G.P about my drinking, thing is this bloke is coming to see me on tuesday now do i tell him about my drinking or not ?i have never had counselling before my job involves me giving lots of support to bereaved parents but not been this side before, i dont want to waste his time i have waited long enough for this appointment, ironically since i found this site and confronted my alcohol issues here i feel ready to go back to work any advice would be appreciated

advice please

Hello Hereatlast I gotta say, you show alot of strength facing your alcohol issues and I strongly feel that you truley need to be honest with your G.P. How can he help the problem to the best of his ability if he is out in left field so to speak. Alcohol as we all know plays a big part of our personalities and choices in life we are making... As you have bravely been honest to us and mostly to yourself, you need to be honest with him too.... Whatever tools or ideas he may have,you can sift through them and take from it what you know is best for you.... Best of luck and please keep us posted. Let us know if you need anything atall... Positive vibes go to you.
    ~Niblet~

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

advice please

Hi hereatlast,

I'm not sure what your system is like, but I have used coucillors on a few occasions. Our system, like most medical type stuff, it is kept strictly confidential. And I mean confidential. It allows the client/patient to be completely open and honest, how else can they help unless they know the full open story? Most times its not easy, opening up old wounds, laying your soul bare to someone else. Remember they are not there to judge or critisize you, if I got any hint of that I'd have be out of there so fast ... But they are there to try to help you help yourself.

One councilor I saw was useless, and did not go back to them, but tried another and she was terrific. We tried a couple of different techniques amd they did open my eyes to see myself in another light.

You will not be cured in one session, there is no magic pill you can take, but gradually you will begin to help yourself.

Good luck, I hope you get a gem, they can really help.
      :racer:

Comment

advice please

Yep... be straight hereatlast, otherwise how can the councillor help you. As landsharkman said, if you find you are not comfortable with the councellor arrange to see another. I spent money & time seeing a councellor who I felt uncomfortable around and in all honesty did not like, but by not changing councellors I wasted mine & her time.

On a positive note this is such an exciting and big step forward. A lot of doors will open. Good luck and let us know how it goes.:l
        A BushBaby with Attitude

Comment

advice please

Hi Hereatlast,
          You will feel much better if you tell all to the counsellor,
          remember everything you say is in confidence. Counsellors
          are often people who have experienced various problems
          in their own lives, and that is why they choose to do this
          kind of work. I have a friend who counsels drug addicts
          because he is an ex. addict.
          Best of luck x

Comment

advice please

Hi hereatlast,

I agree, tell your doctor and councillor. The more informed they are the more they will be able to help you. It is nerve wracking: I dread telling doctors but in my experience they have been very understanding. It's their job to try and help you.

Good luck

Kitty
            Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
            Confucius

Comment

advice please

It depends on your system, level of trust, and if you FEEL this PROFESSIONAL is there to HELP YOU. Only you can answer all those questions. Only you live with the consequences. I would say if you are not comfortable, this is not the help you need and seek assistance elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
              X