Nutrition question: Essential fatty acids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently ordered a book called Potatoes not Prozac. Already i have done some other reading and have been eliminating sugar from my diet to hopefully reduce cravings for sugars, including alcohol.

I am reducing caffeine as well. My thinking is that a calmer person will be less likely to drink and there is some sort of link between caffeine and sugar rush (see research threads).

However, I also just read about Omega 3 fatty acid deficiencies. There are thee kinds: 3, 6 and 9. This is kind of interesting to me. I have taken fish oil but never paid attention to what kind. Apparently, we get too much of the 6 and too little of the 3. so we should supplement the 3 but not the 6.

Problems associated with omega 3 deficiency are linked to a number of conditions including depression and alcoholism.

i am no nutritionist, but has anyone else looked into this?i did a search but omega 3 on the message boards but came up with nothing.

essential fatty acids from what I have been reading and especially omega 3 are very important for healthy brain function. I have heard the link between depression and alcoholism..
    Fish oil contains omega 3, so do eggs.
    alcohol seriously depletes all nutrients. even if you eat healthy or take supplements and are still drinking, you are draining your system of nutrients
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I've done a little bit of research on this, though I'm far from an expert. There is current thought that most modern diets contain too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3 - apparently the ratio is important. Eating cold water fish 3 times a week and cutting down on sources of omega-6 (some plant oils) is what is recommended by some; or taking fish oil capsules. Just be careful of mercury in both the fish and the capsules - reputable sources of the fish oil should be free of mercury and should indicate this in their information.

I've found lots of info on the web by googling - here's one link, at the Univ. of Maryland:
      Omega-3 fatty acids

Hope that helps - let me know if you find out anything interesting.

pixie
      AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

thanks pixie!

i have found info on the Net but you never know how reliable it is.
        This link is good, connected to a university.

I definitely want to read up more about this.

Comment

good subject fellow health nuts! there is an excellent product by Jarrow formulas called Max DHA which contains 250 mg of DHA, and 36mg of EPA and 72mg of other unclassified Omega 3 fatty acids. I like it because the company Jarrow is highly respected (and not for some cool tv add campaign) and I don't burp fishy smells after taking it! (some brands have that problem....yuck). there is a lot of credible and very exciting research on EFA's. As I recall Dr Barry Sears said that Omega 3's are the closest thing to a true nutritional miracle that we will see in our lifetimes.
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

And if you cannot tolerate the pills try flax seed. It is nutty and yummy and can be used on anything from sprinkling on oatmeal to burying in sauces you make to putting in cookie recipes.etc.. Omega's are a good thing....
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

flax seed

lushy;129553 wrote: And if you cannot tolerate the pills try flax seed. It is nutty and yummy and can be used on anything from sprinkling on oatmeal to burying in sauces you make to putting in cookie recipes.etc.. Omega's are a good thing....
              I sprinkle it on salads. so yummy
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I add flax seed to my morning smoothies. I can't tell it is there, but it is doing great things for me!
                Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Me too - I add flax seed to breakfast cereals and to smoothies and to other dishes too.

As far as the kids are concerned it is "Stealth Health" - it bypasses their healthy food detection / rejection systems!

Satori

xxx
                  "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Satori thats hysterical....stealth health!
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

I have been off and on the Fat Flush Plan by Ann Gittleman, who provides a LOT of information about Omega oils - EFAs. EPAs, and many other detox supplements. It helps cut cravings for sweets, bad carbs, etc. I'm going to be easing myself into it again, after experiencing how the MWO plan works. I imagine it will dovetail nicely.
                      "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

I think it will Zin, I'm not familiar with that plan but the omegas are finally becoming recognized by "modern science" for the amazingly curative substances they are...keep us posted.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Omega book

Just got a new book and it is good so far:

Omega-3 Connection
                          The groundbreaking antidepression diet and brain program

Andrew L Stoll

Comment

I was on the fish oils for months and had switched over to the Flax Oil about two months ago. I read that the omega's in Flax absorb into the body better. Either way I do swear by taking an Omega supplement. I truly believe it does wonders for depression and over all good health!

Comment

saw a counsellor today for my depression first thing he did was recommend omega 3

Comment

Working...
                              X