Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX: AFTER THE 12 WEEKS - WHAT NEXT? EXPERIENCES, DOSAGES, ETC

Dear All,

Like probably a number of you, I have reached my 12 weeks of Topa intake, as stipulated in the MWO manual on page 119 (I refer here to RJ's book 'My Way Out'). There is some advice on page 133 on long-term maintenance, which pretty much focuses on the ALL ONE powder and hypnotic recordings.

I'd be very much interested in hearing on how others deal with long term maintenance of either abstinence or moderation.

I frankly chose moderation, similar to 'Brenda's' reasoning in the MWO book - I quote:

I accept that alcohol does have a small place in my life, as does butter! But it doesn't control me, harm me, or make me regret its use!

But, I also have, as RJ does, abstinence as a backup
    plan should moderation fail.

My current maintenance plan is:

- low carb diet
    - Topa dosage 200 mgs (which I wonder to how low I can reduce it?)
    - exercise regime

As for the hypnotic CDs, I never used them, as feel eerie about relinquishing control to someone else, frankly. I have to say, too, it is a taboo in my religious community to turn to such methods, even if in good faith.

Anyway, looking forward to some productive input as always. :thanks:
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Hi Paddy,

Firstly, I believe congratulations are the first order of the day!! So BIG CONGRATULATIONS!

Now, I'm not quite so far down the track as you but, amazingly, not that far behind, as I've been on the programme, and therefore taking topa, for 11 weeks now!!! So coming right up to 13.

Like you I've opted for moderation as pretty well defined in RJ's book - in my case that is a very 'moderate' moderation indeed - a glass or two of wine on special occasions only and AF for the most part. I'm doing this because I'm finding that I can do it, not because I had any preconceived idea of how much I wanted to moderate my drinking by - I just knew that I needed to reduce, if not eliminate, alcohol.

And I'm thrilled to say that I'm having NO trouble with this approach whatsoever. That is not to say that it always easy!! There are many times when I would love a glass of wine -but that's a very different thing to craving a glass of wine, and I can deal with that.

Paddy, after talking to you and doing a bit more research I ended up resolving my topa problems and stabilised the weight loss I was experiencing at one stage. I reduced my dosage back to 100mg and I've stayed there!! Frankly, I could see no reason to increase the dosage since it (or something) was working well for me. So, for me its been
    100 ml topa; kudko; l-glut; other vitamins and minerals that I always take, plus general good diet, exercise and a positive frame of mind!

I have used the CDs but only at bedtime and I have found that I have slept wonderfully and soundly and woken feeling so, so good. So what next? I think that I am going to start to reduce the topa and see what happens. My strong suspicion is that nothing much will happen but if I do find that I start to experience a stronger urge to drink or to drink more frequently I'll deal with that at the time (possibly by increasing the kudzo or possibly by increasing the topa to the previous dose.)

Whatever happens I feel strong enough to deal with it now - thanks to MYO and to folks like you Paddy who have taken the time out to respond to my questions and anxieties along the way. I only hope I can help others out in similar fashion.

Have a great day,

RR
    X

Comment

Congratulations both of you. You have done so well. I'm really pleased for you both, it was a pleasure to read your posts.
      Suz
      Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Thanks Robin and thx for your input

I think it works both ways. I'm just so happy that I stumbled over this site and had the support way back last October when I started.
        Paddy
        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Working...
        X