Has anyone tried niacin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried niacin?

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to all this and just got some vits and supplements today which I'm starting. I've just got the book - on p98 it mentions that niacin helps with cravings - has anyone tried it?? Janice
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Has anyone tried niacin?

Janice,

Niacin is a good medicine used in moderation. It can cause several side effects though and how each person tolerates it is completely up to thier own body make up. When taking Niacin you can get the seats, be flushed and hot and you can also damage your liver. Niacian Natually lowers chloresterol; however, if too much is taken you can damage your liver. It is never recommended that anyone with a fatty liver or cirroshis take niacin.

I have never heard of Niacin helping with cravings. Just be careful in its use. Always keep in mind that even a natual medicine can hurt you if taken incorrectly or missed with the wrong thing.

Function

Niacin assists in the functioning of the digestive system, skin, and nerves. It is also important for the conversion of food to energy.

Food Sources

Niacin (also known as vitamin B3) is found in dairy products, poultry, fish, lean meats, nuts, and eggs. Legumes and enriched breads and cereals also supply some niacin.

Side Effects

A deficiency of niacin causes pellagra . The symptoms include inflamed skin, digestive problems, and mental impairment.
    Large doses of niacin can cause liver damage, peptic ulcers , and skin rashes . Even normal doses can be associated with skin flushing. It can be prescribed as a treatment for elevated total cholesterol and other types of lipid disorders, but it should only be used with medical supervision due to its potential for severe side effects.

Recommendations

Recommended daily allowances (RDAs) are defined as the levels of intake of essential nutrients that the Food and Nutrition Board at the Institute of Medicine has found to be adequate to meet the known nutrient needs of most healthy persons.
    Specific recommendations for each vitamin depend on age, gender, and other factors (such as pregnancy). The general recommended intakes for niacin are listed below:
    Infants
    • 0-6 months: 2 milligrams per day (mg/d)
    • 7-12 months: 4 mg/dChildren
      • 1-3 years: 6 mg/d
      • 4-8 years: 8 mg/d9-13 years: 12 mg/d
      Adolescents and Adults
      Age 14 and up: 14 mg/dPregnant women: 18 mg/dBreastfeeding women: 17 mg/d
    The best way to get the daily requirement of essential vitamins is to eat a balanced diet
    that contains a variety of foods from the food guide pyramid
    Hablur

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

Many thanks, that was really helpful. I did get some today after reading that but having taken just one I did get very flushed. I'm gonna leave those I think. Janice
      AF since 9 May 2012
      Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

Niacin is in the All One supplement recommended as part of the program.

It doesn't seem to be a high dose.

i think hablur is right about eating balanced meals.

i posted a thread on Omega 3 and am interested in supplementing my diet.

however, it looks like you need to take tons of it to get the equivalent of having fatty fish two-three times a week.

and, side effects of fish oil include diarrhea and flatulence.

i think controlled release pills minimize side effects.

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

There are lots of high-quality fish oil supplements out there, but side effects are different for everyone. I've always eaten fish a couple times a week. I've been taking fish oil for over a year with few problems. Just take with food. Carlson's is good.
          "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

Janice...easy answer here: don't take regular Niacin, take "no flush" niacin. I personally take Inositol in powdered form which features the benefits of B3 without the risks. it's also clinically proven to fight mental illness including depression and schitzophrenia VERY effectivley I might add. it's also very relaxing so I take mine at bedtime. 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon which I mix with a heaping teaspoon of L-glutamine and mix with water or juice. it has vaso dilating effect so ask your doctor if you are taking blood thinning meds.
            take care.
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

Thanks determinator

Inosotol... hmm, thanks, will have to look into that.

Hey determinator, on a related subject, you study nutrition a lot right?

well, i read on quackwatch that you are supposed to take amino acids as a group, not
              individually. and that there isn't evidence that one individual acid will do anything.

any thoughts?

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

Nancy, I'm no pro, just try to read between the lines on nutrition...yes, I have heard the same about the aminos...to be taken all at once.
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

well, determinator, if that is true, what is the point of taking L-glut by itself?

and the author of seven steps to sobriety advises tryptophan alone for depression.

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

Nancy, I think the all in one powder covers a lot of the amino acids - have done some study on that. The L-Glut helps to reduce sugar cravings which alcohol does once you've had some - keeps on craving, people with hypoglycemia use this often.
                    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

Also if you want to follow the seven steps then do so and let us know how it works out.
                      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

yes SK, L-Glut is marvy for alcohol and sugar cravings and also beneficial to liver function/regeneration. Also really helpful for rebuilding torn down muscles etc (why they put it in fancy protein powders these days). L-glut also has a calming effect similar to other supps. Dr Larsen of "7 weeks" is a very credible doctor with a good plan from what I've heard. I'd have her book already if I could buy it with paypal. (ebay junkie here).
                        I'm not very familiar with L Tryptophan personally. The version of it called 5-hydroxy-tryptophan is getting accolades in the medical world (and actually did for a long time but was stupidly banned by the FDA Nazis for some time) it's a serotonin booster and great as a sleep aid, anti-depressant/ant anxiety. I'm worried it will make me too sleepy so haven't felt the need to try it. I used to have really bad insomnia but not now that I'm AF.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

niacin

Janice;129820 wrote: Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to all this and just got some vits and supplements today which I'm starting. I've just got the book - on p98 it mentions that niacin helps with cravings - has anyone tried it?? Janice
                          I am new to this as well. I got niacin and took only 200 mg on a full tummy. One gets
                          prickly hot sensation in arms and legs and redness..dont worry . The first time I took it
                          a few yrs ago I panicked. I took too much but it wont hurt you. This time I just tried a low
                          dosage and it feels kind of good now after half an hour. The health store told me it flushes the blood vessels so its ok. Its cleansing.

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

Hi Ivy! Welcome to the boards! I am from BC as well. Nice to see another fellow BC-er here!

Comment

Has anyone tried niacin?

id be very careful on high doses of naicin it causes hot flushes and kidnet failure in doses abouve 200 mg per day....... if ure going to take a b vit take a b complex all bs in equal measure

Comment

Working...
                              X