Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term Topa use

Hey guys

I have been reading up on Topa a lot but can't seem to find anything to suggest or otherwise the safety of long term use ie indefinitely.

I am seeing my doc tomorrow and just want to be as armed with as much knowledge by hands on users ie you guys as possible, and also to help work out a plan for myself long/short term.

I seem mostly to be able to cope with not drinking on week nights... it's the weekend social drinking that *really* gets me, so I'm going to ask my doc for a script for Topa and maybe adrafinil as a backup.

Thanks in advance for your experiences.
    Doo
    :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Long term Topa use

I'm no expert, but I know RJ (the author of the book and architect of this program) has used topa for 3 or 4 years now. And topa is used long-term for treatement of seizures and migraines.

Also -- compared to long-term alcohol abuse, it must be easier on the system!

I'm sure you can find some info on the internet to back this up...

Good luck!

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Long term Topa use

Hey, Doo...

I started the Topa three weeks ago now. I am up to 75 mgs a day and CANNOT drink more than two drinks at a time. So, it is working. I just ordered the Adrafinil, though becasue I am in a brain fog, as suggested. I am in the US and we can't get it here. Hopefully you can get it there. I would definately suggest it. Otherwise, I highly suggest the Topa. It is working for me!!!
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Long term Topa use

Mike & MM, thank you!

I will go ahead and order the adrifinil.

xo
        :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Long term Topa use

Hi Scooby,

I have been taking Topamax for about 3 years now.

My only complaint is the effect it has on my ability to concentrate ~ my short term memory.

Someone else complained about driving right past their house, again. That's Topamax.

Given the choice between taking the Topamax or taking that first drink, well, the choice is obvious. I once tried to taper down on my doctors advice because of the memory problems but began craving alcohol within 24 hours.

I cannot, under any circumstances, have another drink. It will kill me.

Having said all that- I am not employable while on this drug-I can remember something from 30 years ago but please don't ask me about yesterday! I take two other antidepressants as well. My drinking career began as self medication for major depression.
          My memory loss may be attributed to depression as well.

I take 200mg of Topamax daily as well as the other drugs and who is to say what side effects you will have, if any. I'm sure studies have been done on long term effects depending on how long the drug has been in use.

Good luck with the doctor.

magic xx
          ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
          I am in the next seat.
          My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Long term Topa use

I take 200mg daily and built up to that for a year now. I cant say I have a very big problem with memory. Not many side effects to speak of at all. And have been completly af since I started.
            Gabby :flower:

Comment

Long term Topa use

RJ obviously functions quiet well.
              Gabby :flower:

Comment

Long term Topa use

Magic, or anyone, have you tried the Adrafinil?
                My concentration is shot and I'm having difficulty working. I ordered it yesterday and thought I'd give it a try. It does effect the liver however.

Melissa
                If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Long term Topa use

I should add, lest someone NOT try topamax because of memory issues, that I am self employed and when I mess up I've just messed up myself and no one else!

I could not, however, hold down a responsible job, or any job for that matter, working for some one else. They wouldn't find me amusing.

I have an income, I am raising 3 children on my own and run a household....I am stilll functioning, well my teenagers might have something to add to that.

I don't know that I would want to be responsible for small children though. My brain is just not that reliable.

No, Melissa, I have not tried Adrafinil, just did a quick search and it looks interesting. I am loathe to add anything else to my "cocktail" at the moment. Have you tried brain games on the computer?

magic xx
                  ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                  I am in the next seat.
                  My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Long term Topa use

Modafinil is another medication that helps with alertness and is newer than adrafinil. You may be able to get that through your doc to counteract the topa dopas. Sometimes the regular dose is too high though, and you might have to half it, or you'll be buzzing all night, too!

Normally it can be used for shift workers and people with narcolepsy.
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Long term Topa use

Frankly, I do experience some memory problems at times, too. But I don't ascribe it necessarily all to Topa ... So, let's be real. Why not try it and see how you handle it, before you all panic. That's my 2 cents. And if you can't handle it after a month, you just titrate down. That's how I would do it. Most side effects will disappear, don't forget.
                      Paddy
                      Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Working...
                      X