Alcohol Nicotine Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was doing some research on the similarities of alcohol and nicotine addictions, and found the following statement from a study published in 1996:

"Smoking prevalence among active alcoholics approaches 90%"

I was wondering how many people here have or had a nicotine addiction as well. I am betting the results may be slightly skewed here towards a lower percentage but found the above number interesting (don't know if it is completely accurate or not).

FYI I used to chew tobacco (a can of Copenhagen a day) for 10 years until 1995, then quit cold turkey and have not had any since then.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Non smoker here only tried when very young.

Sammys

Comment

I'm a smoker. I smoke 5 - 15 cigs a day. The more I drink the more I smoke for sure, so I am much looking forward to being able to let the smoking go once I've been AF for awhile.
      Hugs,
      imatree

Comment

When I first stopped smoking in 1982, my alcohol consumption went up a bit (though it didn't become a problem until the 90's). I have smoked off and on over the years--having several rounds of several years of "smoking sobriety". When I am not drinking, I tend to want to replace the drinking with smoking. I think I have an oral fixation.
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Smoked for two years in college but never really enjoyed it. Quit cold turkey and never looked back. Hmmm, wish wine was that easy for me....
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I hear ya Lushy! I live w/a smoker. Every once in a while I'll have one. Had 2 smokes while on vacation, but I was just hanging out with smokers, so what the hey. I can have one or two every other month, or just skip em entirely. Definately not the case with beer & wine.
            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

I've often wondered if the two types of addictions are even similar (i.e. if you were addicted to nicotine but able to quit you have a better chance of stopping drinking as well).

They may be so far apart you can't even compare them, but I was curious.
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

I smoke daily and real heavy when I drink.
                Hablur

Comment

I've smoked for 20+ years. Only quit during pregnancies. I literally chainsmoke when I drink. I just recently went to the doctors and got a prescription for Chantrex. Hubby and I are going to give it a try. I'd like to be rid of my two addictions. I want to have control of my life, not feel like it's controlled by alcohol and nicotine. Friends had great luck with Chantrex, and they were long time smokers. Just got to get my head in the right mindset or otherwise it won't work. It's just like this battle with alcohol.

Julie

Comment

I quit 4 weeks ago. YEAH!!! That's one addiction gone, now I just need to tackle this other one.
                    :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

i am an ex-chain smoker, many years ago.

Comment

I quit smoking with my hubby in Jan 2002 after our honeymoon in Italy and France- smoked 2 packs a day up until then.

Jan 5 2002 we quit and that's when the real drinking began. We didn't want to go to bars anymore in Manhattan like we used to because of the smoking so that's when the drinking at home took full force. We drank twice as much as before eventually. I had an anxiety attack 4 months after we quit smoking that I never connected to the booze until I came onto this website. My horrible shrink gave me any drug I wanted and I am hooked on Klonopin now but am tapering off for the last year (6mg to 3mg). Benzos are hard to get off of especially if your doc gives you whatever you want.

Then the ban on smoking came into effect in NYC so we could go out again but then I drank like a fish when we got home, even after a night out.

Anyhoo I think my real drinking problem came when I quit smoking and I started drinking at home. Drinking at home is a bad bad thing, my mom, who is not with us now, always told me that because of my dad (who is a recovering boozer and destroyed their marriage and our childhood and left me to take care of her while she was dying. She died at 52 of a brain tumor and my dad ditched out when I was 23, a year and 1/2 before she passed).

Unless you are having a dinner party and actually need to do it don't drink at home. That was my mom's prayer for me and I should have stuck to it :upset: ... I think it's a good rule if you have a problem....

I think the addictions are linked for certain people. Smoking calmed me down, I'll do anything to calm my ass down. Some people smoke for the social part of it but never get addicted to the actual nicotine. I could NOT have quit without the patch, and that was after several other times of trying. I think wanting to have a child finally did it. Hubby did patch with me and we survived. I guess now with our little Sophie we can try to survive through anything... :h
                        Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

I agree that not drinking at home is critical. That's when my drinking spiraled out of control (and my smoking too for that matter because I also gave myself permission to smoke in the house when I was drinking).

Julie

Comment

Interesting thread AAth. and a big congrads to all of you that have quit/cut down on smoking. I heard Dr Dean Edell speaking some years ago that almost 100% of heroin addicts also smoke..in fact they had trouble confirming any exceptions...hmmm.
                            I used to inhale cigars when I got drunk but stopped that about 7 months ago. it used to make me soooo loopy for a minute, I even fell down after inhaling a cigar a couple times...wierd.
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Stopped smoking 15 years ago and that was when I started having the odd glass of wine - as compensation really. Over time the odd glass was joined by the odd even one or two... or three....

Wonder what I can take up now...

Robin
                              x

Comment

Working...
                              X