Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topa my visit to the Doc

Help... I'm not sure what to think.

I saw my doc. I'm back on the Lexapro as a result of the dramas with my ex. Seeing as I am managing to not drink during the week and am just bing drinking on weekends, she thinks Topa is not the answer for me, as she thinks it's purely psychological addiction. I can see her point. I don't actually crave alcohol as in sweats or anything like that. My fiance will drink his beer during the week and it doesn't phase me, so I'm not like a chronic drinker. It's like, I get to Friday night and it's the weekend so I have this association with weekend/drinks... but as I said to her I am really uncomfortable with my level of drinking on those weekend nights ie blackouts. Nearly 2 bottles of wine on Fri & Sat night... not good huh?

So what do you guys think? Has anyone been in my shoes? ie able to abstain during the week - binge on weekends and that you've tried Topa and it as stopped the binge drinking?

Heeelp... Over here shaggy!

Scooby
    :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Topa my visit to the Doc

Hi Scooby,

I'm more than just a weekend drinker, although I have cut back significantly. Has your drinking affected your relationship with husband and kids? Does it interfere with the upkeep of your home, your friendships, your hobbies? Do you have black outs? Does drinking make you feel guilty, ashamed and depressed. I'm only asking because I have felt all these things and I would love to try Topa. But I'm afraid my doctor would say you only drink a couple of times a week. I'm afraid he won't understand that even though I don't drink in excess every day I have a drinking problem that I am having a difficult time getting a handle on. I definitely have blackouts if I drink to much wine which is so scary. I may resort to ordering it online after I finish up my annual doctors appt. of bloodtests, etc...I'm nervous about going on it with a doctor monitoring my progress, but I may get to that point. People here seemed to have so much success with it. Hopefully, someone here in your circumstances has been using the topa and can provide you with info. I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say. Good luck!

Julie

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

Doo, I was in two minds whether to respond to your post because I know I'm not really objective when it comes to topa. I'm a huge fan 'cos it's worked so well for me but I'm sure you'll get a range of opinions - so for what it's worth here's mine!

And that is - if you still want to get rid of this thing and think you can't do it without some exta help - give the topa a try. I now realise that my problem was at the milder end of the spectrum ( certainly wouldn't have stayed there if I'd kept going however) and I certainly never experienced any physical cravings either, just a strong feeling of "I want."

But I'm no masochist, a bloody wimp really, so when I read of a programme that would help me reduce or eliminate drinking without too much pain, physical, psychological or any other sort - I dived right in, and it's been one of the very best decisions I've made.

That's all I'll say. Other than good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Robin
      x

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

Dear Doo,

Frankly, don't let yourself be brought down by her. I've been in the same situation before. I am not an alcoholic as in the 'breaking-out-into-sweats' sense of the word either.

Long story short - shop for a doctor that will listen to you. Frankly! These anglo doctors sometimes just drive me nuts! It's your body! And you have the right to choose a treatment which worked with your friends and it's your right to at least give it a go.

(Sorry to sound so harsh, but sometimes grrrrrrrrrrrrr ;-))))

Hugs and don't let it get you down. Try one that listens to you.
        Paddy
        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

OK... I finally did it! I've just ordered 200 x 50mg Topa Dopa from Aclepsa.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it does.

Robin... that feeling of "I want" on a Friday night can be overwhelming! Not a physical craving but the psych behind it is powerful stuff. And then the "Wanting more" after I've had a bottle of red ie let's open another bottle, is also so strong. I want that to stop. Here's to hoping Topa works and eventually I can stop at 2 drinks on a Saturday night with friends.

Julie, to answer all your questions, it's yes to just about all of them. I know this is a progressive addiction and 37 has got to be a good age to finally get on top of it. The thought of having a hangover free weekend will be a dream come true!

Paddy, thanks If this Topa works, I will go back to this doctor or find another for a script and use the medical supervision. I do feel a bit bad doing this without going through the right channels but what the hell. If the Topa doesn't kill me, the alcohol will. lol

Scoob

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

Doo.....I dont think I could have ever gotten a handle on my drinkin without the topa. My drink was beer tho. Anxious to see how it works for you. Hugs....
            Gabby :flower:

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

It is probably going to take a while before you feel the true benefits of the Topa. You may notice a change at the beginning, but the really great benefits seem to come at higher doses.

I was at your stage drinking about 3-4 years ago. I tried to go it on my own (I didn?t know MWO existed if it did). I was able to completely stop drinking but I always wanted to drink I just wouldn?t. I went as far as to go to AA on my own because I thought it would help. After I started in the AA group and they got to know me and I them, I realized I was not as bad off as them. Most including the women had been in the pen; I?ve never even been arrested for anything. I wasn?t bad enough. They basically brushed me off to go get worse before coming back. I couldn?t believe they would do that to me. It wasn?t long until I was drinking again, only more often and more quantity. If I had the knowledge I now have I would have found a Dr. and got on the train to AF living. I didn?t. I didn?t realize how caught up I was or how it was affecting me. From that point on I felt I had no alternative, so I thought I was just going to drink myself to death. I think I almost did but that is another story.

What I am trying to say is if YOU think you have a problem, you probably have a problem. I also ordered topa off shore, and it worked great after you get over the dumbness the problem with ordering overseas is you may not get your shipment in time. In my case it was weeks before I knew I wouldn?t get the package. I didn?t count on that happening, so I split up the pills I still had and figured out a way to titrate down. I did, but without the topa I was weak and returned to drinking. If I had gotten a Dr. back when I left the AA group I would have been much better off. These are your decisions, but from my experience you would be much better just to start calling the Dr.?s on your insurance list and ask them if they are accepting new patients and if so are they prescribing Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds. If they are your chances are pretty good because the Dr. is open to alternative methods and is informed about them. I know you probably do not want to sit and call Dr.?s all day,. But if you wait until you are desperate enough to call you might be a mess.

I wish you the best , and I hope ordering off shore works for you, it has for others. From my experience when the dose is right you will not care anything about drinking. It is a wonderful feeling.

These are just my thoughts. I have been in your shoes and I know for me I should have gotten a Dr. but I didn?t.

God Bless
              Bear
              What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
              ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

Great news Scoobydoo!! Let's just hope it comes quickly for you and don't forget to cut your 50ml tab. in half and start off with 25 mls.

As Bear said so well, its best to stop these patterns of behaviour before they become worse - and the topa, I'm sure will help you do that.

It'll be really interesting to compare notes in a few weeks time....

Robin
                x

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

Hi Scooby, I think I read somewhere that you run your own company??? I have my own company too. What I am getting at is that I would run myself ragged (always doing too much) and ended up drinking myself into a stupor every night just to relax/shut off.
                  Could you be doing the same thing when it gets to the weekend? Just a thought.
                  Amelia x
                  Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

Bear, thanks for your advice and history. Funnily enough, I also did the AA thing for 6 weeks last year and found exactly the same thing ie that I wasn't "bad enough". I found it all quite strange.

Robin, I am really looking forward to comparing notes. I wish I'd chosen the express shipping option now. lol. I'm hoping I don't have any major side effects and it sounds like it is the sort of drug you can take ongoing if you choose.

Amelia, yes, I run my own company too although mostly I don't find it high stress/pressure. It's an outsourced payroll management business and I have approx 20 clients at the moment, so it's all very rote which gives freedom and flexibility within the day/on a day to day basis. (hence so much time on this website. lol)

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe that does contribute to that Friday/drink time.

Bring on the Topa Dopa and thanks for your feedback guys Each member here is so kind and compassionate, quirky, generous and fun... I love it and love you guys.

Doo

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

LOL... ok I am not nicknaming myself Doo anymore! :H

OK, you sound like where I was about 2 months ago. Drinking a bottle of wine nearly every night with 2 on weekends. I'm proud of the progress I've made but am also really looking forward to giving this AF a go. I went completely AF for 6 weeks last year so I'm not sure why I can't seem to do it this time, so fingers crossed the Topa helps. Have you found any adverse side effects?

Scooby-Doo-Ba

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

Hon-I was a huge binge drinker. I could go 2/3 weeks AF and then drink 1-2 weeks straight. I got my my mind squared away saying "that's it!". I wasn't going to put my health, life, family thru this anymore. Topa has helped! I would definately give it try!

I took Topa over a year and a half ago but only went thru the motions of quiting. It doesn't work if you don't let it. I wasn't ready to give up my hooch. I eventually went back to my old ways.

The mindset, the will & the resources (the whole package) is what works. Give it a go! Helped me the second time around! Wishing you success!
                        :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

Ok Scoob.......got the name change re-programed in my brain.

Thinkin of you hope things are goin better.

I am drowned in attorney papers and dont know why we need all this stuff. uhgg
                          Gabby :flower:

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

ScoobyDoo,

I am so happy for you that you decided to get the Topa anyway. I wish you lots of strength, resolve, and peace as you begin this journey in earnest.
                            Hablur

Comment

Topa my visit to the Doc

been there...

Scoob -- it is soooo easy to suck down wine ... have you tried spritzers or alternating each glass with a club soda? Since you are just a weekend drinker this could be a nice solution.
                              Just some suggestions... LaLiz

Comment

Working...
                              X