X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You Get What You Think About, Whether You Want It or Not

Hello all,

Bear with me - this is a long quote!

From "Ask and It is Given" by Esther and Jerry Hicks (The Teachings of Abraham); Hay House 2004.

"By the powerful Universal Law of Attraction, you draw to you the essence of whatever you are predominantly thinking about. So if you are predominantly thinking about the things you desire, your life experience reflects those things. And, in the same way, if you are predominantly thinking about what you do not want, your life experience reflects those things.

Whatever you are thinking about is like planning a future event. When you are appreciating, you are planning. When you are worrying, you are planning. (Worrying is using your imagination to create something you do not want).

Every thought, every idea, every Being every thing, is vibrational, so when you focus your attention on something, even for a short period of time, the vibration of your Being begins to reflect the vibration of that which you are giving your attention to. The more you think about it, the more you vibrate like it; the more you vibrate like it, the more of that which is like it is attracted to you. That trend in attraction will continue to increase until a different vibration is offered. And when a different vibration is offered, things that match that vibration are then drawn to you.

When you understand the Law of Attraction, you are never surprised by what occurs in your experience, for you understand that you have invited every bit of it in - through your own thought process. Nothing can occur in your life experience without your invitation of it through your thought.

Because there are no exceptions to the powerful Law of Attraction
    , a thorough understanding of it is easy to achieve. And once you understand that you get what you think about, and, equally important, when you are aware of what you are thinking, then you are in the position to exercise absolute control of your own experience."

I just love the teaching of Esther and Jerry Hicks. Whilst I can't profess to be a master of them just yet! - I love the ideas.

Would love to hear your feedback. And I really do recommend the book.

Much love

Gem x
    Free since 26th February 2012

I do believe in the power of positive thinking...

But I have a question.....

I was planning a big Memorial Day May 30th, celebration here at the farm for my son because he was to be "out" of the marines on May 20th..
    As you know....they have orders to report on May 17th for training to return to duty in Iraq.

I did have the vision of that celebration and was thinking about it ....alot...
    What do you think happened....that is in the "Secret" way of thinking?

This is a sincere question as I'm fairly openminded about alot of this stuff....just a seeker of "Truth" along with everybody else.

I love you Gem...
    Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Not my will...but thy will be done...on earth as it is in heaven...
      Control the Mind

Comment

Hey Nancy,

Thanks for your post. An excellent question. How does the idea of positive thinking fit in, when you were visualizing your son at home and safe, and looking forward to that big celebration?

If you look at it on a surface level, following the teachings of the Secret, some might offer some ideas that “on some level you are wishing for something else” or “you might have been wishing one thing, but your thoughts weren’t aligned with what you really want.”

But that doesn’t really make any sense, does it? Because surely Nancy, what you want more than anything is for your son to come home and to be safe.

I knew this point would come up and I’m really glad that you raised it. For example, take the quote above, “Nothing can occur in your life experience without your invitation of it through your thought.” That’s all very well and good if you are talking about a promotion that didn’t go your way. Or a minor health issue that’s troubling you.

That’s why I always try to be open-minded about the application of these ideas about thought vibrations bringing these circumstances to others. Because how can you say to someone who has lost a person that’s close to them, that this has occurred because of their thoughts? How could that be true? And how could someone suggest to another that they have lost someone dear to them through their own thoughts? That would be a hurtful thing to suggest to someone.

And so, that brings me to Rocky’s point, “Not my will...but thy will be done...on earth as it is in heaven...” Rocky, your quote was just so appropriate on so many levels.

Firstly, whatever comforts the teachings of the Secret and others may bring, there are certain plans that are set in place that I don’t think we can see from our limited perspective. Think of all the times in your life you’ve been through pain, only to see later (sometimes years later) of the outcome of that pain. There is a higher purpose to all of our trials, but we can almost never see it at the time.

Secondly, a further interpretation of that quote – as in “on earth as it is in heaven” – is that in heaven (or “the other side”, or “the spiritual world”), beings are thought to be able to instantly manifest whatever they choose. Therefore, the quote refers to the idea that as we become more spiritually aware as a planet, to learn to love, and continue to awaken – eventually we will all be able to manifest what we desire, right here (although maybe not in our lifetimes. And “heaven” will exist on Earth. Hence, “on earth as it is in heaven.” If this seems to be at odds with Christianity, then think about the Second Coming. The Second Coming is about Jesus returning to us and teaching us to be as He was. And Jesus was the most powerful demonstrator of the Law of Attraction that this planet has ever seen.

And Rocky, I know that your quote was not meant to agree with me. I know that what you are saying is that our will is not greater than God’s. I see that. I just wanted you to consider that such teachings about the Law of Attraction do not exclude the power of God.

Gem x

Comment

PS. And I love you too, Nancy!

Much love

Gem x

Comment

"Firstly, whatever comforts the teachings of the Secret and others may bring, there are certain plans that are set in place that I don’t think we can see from our limited perspective. Think of all the times in your life you’ve been through pain, only to see later (sometimes years later) of the outcome of that pain. There is a higher purpose to all of our trials, but we can almost never see it at the time."

This is true, Gem...
            I learned so much about myself and my God when he was in Iraq in 2003.
            There is a part of me that KNOWS....all will be well. In the end anyway, but the Mom in me justs wants to protect her child. Must be the way our Father feels about us.
            Have you ever thought of how Mary felt watching her child?
            The Holy Spirit is a very real "Comforter"....

Thank you for sharing...

Love,
            Nancy
            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Gem, I'm with Rocky on this one. I'm not sure the planet is becoming more Spiritually aware the way God intended, but that's another topic for another forum. The point for you though, is that if what you are reading is helping you on this journey and if you can help someone else here by sharing it then that's great. The main goal is that we all get to the same place ultimately which is satisfactory resolution to our problem with alcohol. Thanks for sharing and encouraging us to grow and learn

Melissa
              If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

I've been trying to reconcile the law of attraction with the will of God myself lately...I do believe in the law of attraction because I see it every day of my life...if I get up in the morning with a pissy negative non trusting attitude, well, the day will pretty much reflect that for me...If I got up, full of grace, hope and trust, the day would pretty much look like that, and even if something yukky happened, I would percieve it through a graceful attitude, so my everyday is changed through my perception...it's not magic. I think for me, my greatest desire is that I be a vehicle for God's will..that thy will be done, but I'm not passive in that. I have desires too and my greatest desire is that our desires align, so I can enjoy using the law of attraction to open myself up up to God's will, just like I can use quiet, and prayer. If I use the laws of attraction to 'aquire' things that my ego wants..well, we all do that anyway in a milliion different ways...and we get the gift of experiencing the consequences of it..if it's not God's will for us, then we may attract it, but chances are, it won't stay for long, and if it doesn't 'work' for us (meaning, exercising the law of attraction), then God/the Universe probably has something else in mind for us...I think that no matter how powerful the law of attraction is, there is nothing more powerful than God/the universe, so I'm not sure why some people feel threatened by it or think it's wrong except that they realize that people may be 'using' the law of attraction to try to manipulate God...but that is impossible, and people try to do that all the time anyway when they pray for specifics...Funny, I was exercising the law of attraction recently and created a vision board..I wanted to move closer to my work, so I made this great board and have it in my bedroom..well there has been a lot of change in our life lately and this was just one piece of it..well once that board went up a lot of energy stirred...but we're not moving closer to my work, in fact, I think I'm quitting my job..so what I thought I wanted then so clearly, has only showed me that I was thinking very small..God has shown me that I was thinking very small and has something much better in mind for me...so, this is my story about the law of attraction..yes, use your thoughts in positive powerful ways, dare to visualize, open those channels...but be open for new and other possibilities to come through as well, it can be very exciting. Sorry, I'm rambling now.

Comment

Well...Let me put 2 cents in a nut shell on this...

The "Secret" or "Laws of attraction" or "Positive thinking" is not a Secret at all.

The principal of positive thoughts or concentrating (meditation) on what you need or want (visualization) has been used for years and years by religions and self help books and leaders to help move or motivate people. Positive affirmations simply cause your mind to work on those things... No big secret really...

The simplicity of it is, the mind is impacted by what is put into it. Hence RJ's including the phase of MWO on Hypno CD's. The mind also works while you sleep on solving problems.. (how many times have you solved some issue or come up with an idea when sleeping?) (Well... if you are not passed out...

When you think about how you want things to be, the mind subconsciously works to help you recognize how to make that happen. An amazing creation actually...

One watch out is... make sure that what you want is what you really need or that it is the "right" thing... There are many unhappy people trapped in the life of wants... to make them happy... We wish and want a new car, we get it and are happy for a while and then we want something else and something else...and our happiness is up and down and all around...(having things is not the answer to happiness)

A second watch out is "meditation" on things that we think are right but they are not. Many people have been sincere about things only to wake up one day realizing it was all a lie or wrong. Sincere belief or work does not make something true and right.

My note of "Not my will...but thy will be done...on earth as it is in heaven..." is the focus that keeps us in line with eternal truths, and helps us stay away from the traps and watch outs...

God bless you all!
                  Control the Mind

Comment

well said Rocky, I agree, it really is no secret at all, except to those who really haven't got a clue about how their thinking effects their lives maybe.

Comment

Wow, Dilayne… thanks for your inspired post here. I also believe that the Law of Attraction is not about acquiring things. It’s about bringing circumstances that allow us to be the best we can be and achieve our purpose.

On a personal level, I have been using the Law of Attraction to seek opportunities for my further growth and development. I am not choosing to judge others that use these ideas to bring themselves material gain only – it’s just that I’ve spent a long time working out what represents success to me, and it’s growing as a person. In fact, when using the Laws of Attraction, I’ve sometime felt “stuck” as to what to ask for. Not because I “already have everything”, but because what I truly wish for can’t be described as easily as a new car or a new house.

Therefore, I’ve been doing what you have suggested… remaining open to possibilities. What I focus on is how I want to feel and how I can best be of help to others. And I am finding that the more I focus on helping others, the more opportunities come my way to do that, and the better I feel.

And Rocky… that was worth much more than two cents!

Of course, the Secret is not a secret at all. I think it’s actually supposed to be an ironic title, in that this truth is everywhere, if we will just look. As you said, the mind is impacted by what is put into it. The mind is a wonderful tool, as long as people remember that it is just a tool. It’s not who we are, of course.

And it is always good to be reminded of the pitfalls that can come with the implementation of these ideas. I really liked your point about wanting something else and something else…

Gem x

Comment

Working...
                      X