Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marathon

Hi Gang:
    Today I was thinking about the last four months of being alcohol free. I thinking about how much I miss having a glass of wine or four . But then it dawned on me, if I was to have a drink, it would be like being in a marathon race at mile 12. Suddenly, you do something stupid and have to start over at mile one.
    Now that I have reached the triple digets (in the low 100's) I don't want to have even a sip of wine and have to start counting all over again at day one. Maybe it is my competitive nature and wanting to hit the 1000 mark.
    Just my AF thought for the day.
    Abby

Marathon

As always, very proud of you Abby!!!
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Marathon

Hi Abby:

Know exactly what you mean.

My problem, another one of which I have to work on, is that one of my greatest motivators is to spite someone.

Someone where I work at, already said, "No way you could do a whole year", or "Neil, you will crater by September for sure". That being September of last year.

Someone once told me I wasn't smart enough to get an engineering degree, and once again. Out of spite, I proved them wrong. This tendency to spite people when they deride me, is probably one of those things that contributed to my boozing.

So these days, I am working on finding out what I really, really want to do with the remaining years of my life.

I know what you mean about the competitive thing, but doing it just to spite others really does not give the satisfaction of doing it for myself. The re-evaluation of my goals, values, priorities is a major theme in recent weeks. Been looking at myself, and why I am, the way I am very hard. These things we can do when totally, completely, sober. It's after the hardest part of the battle is over, and tendency to ease up a bit that I want to avoid. Why keep hammering away after the hard part is over? I say no to relapse!!!! Gonna put major marathon distance between me and that drink or 20.

Be well.

Neil

Comment

Marathon

Abby - good for you! You are doing so well.

For most of us, we can't stop after a couple. I did have two glasses of wine on my birthday, but I know if I were to 'keep thinking' I can have a couple whenever, I probably would end up drinking way too much, way too often again. I thought at first I probably could have a couple here and there, but after thinking about it I honestly don't think I have it in me to attempt it again any time soon. The power of the brain eh??? Thinking we are well.... and then BLAMO! After reading a few of the posts in here I realize my brain was trying to suck me in to believing I was well. LOL! I am definitely not, and therefore must not get too cocky about it. (Sorry for the ramble.) Minus the drinks on my b-day, I am just past the 4 month mark too, so I can relate to what you said.

You are doing so great!! Keep up the good work!!

Comment

Marathon

Hi Abby,
          And congrats on your achievement :goodjob:
          Whether its a competitive nature or a "I'll show you" mentality...who cares
          So long as it gets the job done.
          I think its a great idea to turn our worst traits in on themselves.
          Let's get addicted to sobriety:H
          Have a great day everyone.
          Victoria xxooxx

Comment

Working...
          X