Hmm. Why no commercials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm. Why no commercials?

Why aren't there any commercials for Campral and Topa, etc.? Everytime I turn on the idiot box I am subjected to commercials about medication for sleeplessness, depression, erectile dysfunction, and allergies. Yet, alcohol destroys more lives than all of these combined. Does anybody wonder why this is? I've never seen a commercial of somebody getting smashed ala Hasselhoff style, with a voice over saying, "ask your doctor about Campral today." I just think it would be nice if more people knew there were medicines like Topa and Campral out there. Honestly, I had no idea they existed until recently, despite having a problem for over a decade. I knew of antibuse for a long time, but I knew I just wouldn't take it, so what good would it be. It just seems odd to me these drugs aren't advertised.
    where does this go?

Hmm. Why no commercials?

Morrison, I'm not sure if the topamax has been FDA approved for the treatment for alcoholism yet..there is the Lancet report, but I would think that in order for them to be able to advertise, it has to have that approval. I don't know anything about the Campral..course I can be wrong about the topa, but I agree with you...I'd love to see some pharmaceutical support for alcoholism..the topamax has certainly been a great option for me at my level of drinking..it may not be for everyone, but I'm sure many people don't know about it.

Comment

Hmm. Why no commercials?

I agree Morrison. Quitting smoking is socially acceptable and all over the TV but it is as if no one wants to admit that there are that many problem drinkers/alcoholics out there. I guarantee a great majority of heavy drinkers do not know these medications exist and instead live their lives in shame. Very sad.
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Hmm. Why no commercials?

i think its a great idea.

the beer companys would have a headache and thats probably the reason why it dosent happen, me thinks

Comment

Hmm. Why no commercials?

I agree with you morrison - I generally don't like commercials on TV about any meds that are prescription - however, they are alll over the place! I just hate it when I'm watching the family channel with my 12 year old and suddenly they start talking about ED and the warning about "an erection that lasts 4 hours or longer" yadda, yadda. Anyway, I digress - but since they are out there, they should include anti-craving medication - It also just maymake people not so afraid to talk to their MD and like it's a little less stignatizing since it's on TV - great point!

Comment

Hmm. Why no commercials?

I have thought about this also. Campral and Naltrexone should definately be advertised. It would be a public service announcement.

Damn, I wish I ruled the world.

Comment

Hmm. Why no commercials?

I agree they should be advertised as well. I honestly think it has to do with the advertisements of beer and other drinks as they support things such as the Super Bowl and other sporting programs.

Bottom line it all has to do with how much money is being made by it.

Comment

Hmm. Why no commercials?

Thanks for all the feedback on this guys.

Accountable, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I remember hearing how much it cost to do a 30 second spot for the SuperBowl, and could't belelive it. Millions and millions of dollars. And what are most of the commercials during the SuperBowl? Booze. Now, obviously there is only 1 SuperBowl a year, but it is just an indicator of how much money the booze companies are willing to pay for advertising. Although I know these meds aren't cheap, you think they can compete with Budwieser and Miller? They should refer to these companies as "Big Booze" like they do with cigerettes calling them "Big Tobacco."
                where does this go?

Comment

Hmm. Why no commercials?

I am just grateful Lucky does not rule the world.
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Hmm. Why no commercials?

Me too! Feathers everywhere, lots of waddling, no way!!

Sammys

Comment

Working...
                    X