What are you doing to relax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to know what you are doing to relax. Yesterday eve I just wanted to sit and do nothing. I wanted to sit and do nothing without drinking but didn't think I could so I drank and sat around. I didnt want to be running around cleaning house like I do sober. I need some ideas.Bird

I garden...It is very therapeutic. I have learned alot and as things grow and the beauty evolves, I feel so good about myself and have such a sense of accomplishment.

Comment

You like art. One of my relatives made a large collage using photos of all the family and framed it. It looks great on the wall, was cheaper than a painting and everyone who comes loves finding the pictures of themselves.

I like knitting so a complicated pattern makes the time fly and I don't think about drink.

My aunt used to love making quilts from leftover pices of materials cut into hexagons.

Any project that you enjoy would help take your mind off it.:l

Hope you find something.
      Love Waves
      Enough is enough

Comment

All good ideas above. I have a garden, but if you've never gardened, you might try making a container garder with some herbs. I'm reading a lot, and journaling. I like to make vision boards too..they are collages..I find pictures, words and things that inspire me and represent how I want my life to be..just the process is relaxing and fills me with hope and joy. Walking is also really good, which I REALLY need to do more as I speak. Do you have a pet? Maybe you can get some fish, or a little bird, if not a kitten or a puppy, or a snake..what ever floats your boat. Any kind of craft project is great too, I think..puzzles, ceramics, needlework, paint by number, scrapbook...just visit a hobby store and see what pops out at you. Another thing I've done in the past is go to the library and fill my back seat with books and videos and just emerse myself into something new..maybe it's gardening, right now it's portrait painting...then there is always a little mini spa..light candles, bubble bath, give yourself a mani and a pedicure, put a mask on your face, condition your hair and put lotion all over your body when it's all done...you'll feel like a new person!

Comment

I always have a couple craft projects going. I paint miniatures and embroider while watching TV with my husband. I'm too restless for TV by itself. Sometimes I fall back on my other favorite time-fillers, taking a bath or taking a nap.

dilayne has a good point - I think it's valuable to start some kind of new craft or hobby. It gives one a new obsession to replace the obsession with booze.

Comment

Paint,(even though I'm awful) read, play with the dogs and old movies are great. And workout. That one I really don't like, but whatccha going to do ?
            Smiles
            Mar

Comment

Wow what a bunch of great ideas !!! Myself, I love to crochet... I'm almost done a queen size one for my bed... Honestly, this alfagan will alway resemble a life change (MWO) every time I see it on my bed. It will feel just like the warm hug that I feel from all you guys. Our garden is now ready to be worked. My flower bed needs some work too..Here in Northern Ontaio Canada we are still getting some frost in the morning. Of course I do spend alot of time with Cody horse and miniature goats Kiwi and Niblet. Dogs Tia and Beau keep me movin' too. Giggle !! Giggle !!! Bird, trust me your house cleaning will wait !!! I've left dust and as long as our boys don't date their names when they write in it I think I'm doin' OK.

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Believe it or not, a hard bike ride/race actually relaxes me!! I've got a 60 road race tomorrow that I can't wait to do.

Hey, you never said it needed to be a sane, relaxing activity!
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to try some of then out.Bird

Comment

Wot...even AAthletes maaaaddddd bike ride idea????????
                    Perhaps it's a good one....I wouldn't even have the energy to pick up a bottle after that, let alone drink one!!!!

I read, and read, and read....I LOVE books, and really like having time now when I can see straight enough to concentrate.
                    I also walk a lot more, and go out for coffees and a few massages and stuff now I am saving booze funds. Annndddddd, as we ALL know from the somewhat mocking comments on the monthly abs thread, I am also learning to drive now that I am no longer afraid of d.u.i.
                    I just find that things I used to call 'boring'....i.e. everything.......when all I wanted to do was drink, are now the things I am enjoying more and more...

Others are right, start something new...and enjoy doing it sober, sober, sober
                    Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

heya Bird. I used to just come straight home and drink...lame!

now I go to jiu jitsu 3 times a week and after that I'm ready to eat and sleep at the same time
                      cooking, yardwork (weather permitting), ham radio, shortwave radio, net surfing, fixing broken stuff in the house, shooting (weather permitting), watching movies, playing MWO games, buying and selling on Ebay, MWO chat, writing in my journal, and peeling garlic.
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

you know, weemelon is right.. The only reason I thought everyday normal things were boring was because they kept me from the bottle.. Since I stopped drinking I have found life to be filled with things to do, reading, watching movies, jigsaws, net surfing, computer games, gardening, walking, cooking and most of all having long and interesting conversations with my daughter and son which I can still remember the next day...

Also in the pipeline is an idea I have to start a little business on Ebay, but its still in the " all in my mind stage " at the moment..

Life is filled with possibilities, you just have to grab hold of one or two as they float past you..
                        A F F L..
                        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

I like to pick fleas off my cat and drown them in soapy water.Has anyone tried it? Bird

Comment

You serious? Why not shower the cat, then read a book, ha, ha. ;-) No, actually, better still, put the cat in the toilet bowl and put shampoo in it, then try to get the dog to flush it ...

I'm just trying to get a visual on it ;-)
                            Paddy
                            Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Nope, I rely solely on that liquid spot stuff you put a drop behind their neck before there is a flea...My 2 Dogs get it starting Late March every 4 weeks until Late November... Works great !!! You might like to ask your veterinarian about options... For every flea you manage to drown it may have layed a ton of eggs ! If you are just joking about this please accept my apologies. I don't want to offend you in anyway, shape or form...

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Working...
                              X