Omega 3 Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omega 3 Facts

Niblet - I've been meaning to post this for awhile, so this one's for you!!

One of the supplements that I take daily are fish oil capsules, primarily for the coronary benefits but also because there are some studies that indicate it helps treat depression by increasing the dopamine and serotonin levels in our brains.

I also tend to eat canned salmon fairly often, but have always bought it packed in water, and had always assumed that I was losing out on the Omega 3 benefits of it by doing so. However, I recently learned that fish packed in water actually has higher levels of Omega 3's then those packed in oil! Why you might ask?

Because oil and water don't mix! By packing it in water, the fish oil tends to stay put in the fish when the water is drained out of it. Conversely, when it is packed in oil, the Omega 3's tend to leach out into those surrounding oils, and are then drained out.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Omega 3 Facts

AA, I am a huge believer in Omega-3s but canned salmon has not been something I avoid. Do you use it in recipes or mix with mayo like tuna? Is there a particular brand you like? I think I bought a cheap brand once and it had too many bones in it or something so I have steered clear of eating it but I am looking for ways to utilize it because I am not eating enough salmon.

BTW, very interesting about the water and oil...........
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Omega 3 Facts

Thanks alot AA!!!, I do take an omega 3,6,9 (1200mg) I didn't know about the salmon packed in water being better for you.... Hmmm.. It certainly makes alot of sense though eh ? I just last week bought 2 tins of salmon and was planning on making salmon cakes to fry in a nonstick pan.... My mom used to make it when I was a kid back in the stone age and I think there is mashed potato, onion, celery and maybe even an egg to bind it... I'm gonna have to find out for sure before I start supper that night.. I've had salmon made like a tuna sandwich Lushy.. You can find some light miracle whip,celery, onion etc to make it a bit healthier... Those bones are actually a fine source of calcium if you could stand to mash some of the smaller ones up in your mixture.. If not a glass of milk will do.
      Thank-You for the education AA, I'm actually doing something really good for my body by taking the omega 3,6,9. I just thought it was only simply good for my heart. Who woulda thunk ? Have Great Bike Rides ! I love to ride my bike around our countryside. You would absolutely pee yourself laughing though cause it looks like a granny bike ! Giggle!!! Giggle!!! Good Night, Sleep Tight, ~Niblet~

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Omega 3 Facts

Lushy, if you buy the Cloverleaf Brand, Pink Salmon (Wild Pacific) you won't find all of those bones you are talking about. Here it comes in a 213gr red tin. (probably packaged in the same seeing it is canned in Alaska). I couldn't stand canned salmon for the same reasons. This one is really good.

And it is packed in water!

Comment

Omega 3 Facts

AAth, thanks much for that, I had no idea about the water/oil deal.

I make a nice salmon salad by mixing it with finely diced red onions, (yes garlic) olives
          and just enough mayo and olive oil to make it mixable. then load up ribs of celery with that and you've got a super healthy snack/light meal.

I look for the red chinook salmon because it's never been successfully farmed so you know it's always "real" wild salmon and not some muddy tasting can-o-crap from a warm farm in the Philipines. Pink salmon is doodoo.
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Omega 3 Facts

You guys are really making me hungry!

Julie

Comment

Omega 3 Facts

You can also buy eggs with omega 3's in them. They are very good.
              AF Since April 20, 2008
              4 Years!!!
              :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
              X