Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In bed books

Hiya

I am a bit a history nut so here are my fav biographies that are often round or in my bed.

Louis XIV - Love and Louis XIV by Antonia Fraser - breaktaking and makes me want to go to Versailles - also would recommend her Marie Antoinette The Journey as well (what the recent movie was based on).

The Mitford Girls by Mary S Lovell - amazing true story about the 6 sisters and also am rereading Love in A Cold Climate by the eldest the great Nancy - very very funny book about eccentric English families in roaring twenties.

Emile Zola Nana - a novel but if you saw Moulin Rouge this is a v similar story - it is a classic but he is so easy to read. Very haunting ending.

Elizabeth Behind Palace Doors by Nicholas Davies - I can dip in and out of this is fab hard to resist the gossseeeeeep. Lots of juicy stuff that even my mum didnt know about.

You can probably see a theme to my reading - basically love anything in 18 - 20 centuries to do with high society esp if French.

I am a bit obsessed with the royalty I found myself on Wikiapedia actually checking to see whether I was in line to our throne or knew anyone who was har har.

Enjoy

Gargy

In bed books

I love historical fiction...have you ever read " The Other Boylen Sister" ? I highly recommend it as I could not put it down.
    Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

In bed books

I'm a bookaholic, too....

I love to snuggle in bed early after a hot bath and read. That is when I have my sober days - more of which I am working on so that instead of passing out on the sofa having watched something on TV I cannot immediately recall, I would read.

I have had few of those evening of late. And...

...on history - not really, but set in early 20th century - are Suzanne Arruda's books about Jade del Cameron. I was entertained and had a peek in history, too.

Happy reading, looking forward to more interested book suggestions.

Otie
      :new:

Comment

In bed books

Hi Gargy, I read Love in a Cold Climate a few years ago and thought it was a marvellous book, it actually made me laugh out loud.. Another laugh out loud book is Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons..

I like historical fiction as well, a great read is a series of books, three in all I think, called A Horseman Riding By, its written by R. F. Delderfield, and set in Victorian times.. The story starts at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution and basically it charts the success of a man building a business and a family dynasty, a great read...

Louise..
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

In bed books

My biggest reading accomplishment was finishing the Baroque Cycle trilogy end of last year, beginning of this year. Amazing! And I still miss the characters. Just finished Jack London's Call of the Wild/White Fang. Also some French Literature - Dame aux Camellias (in English, I was a French major, but too rusty to read en francais these days!), and Therese Raquin by Zola - just got Nana in the mail, what a coincidence, Gargykath! I love the mysteries by Steven Saylor that take place in Roman times with Goridianus the Finder they've been following last days of the Republic and the rise of Caesar. Gordianus is getting old, though, and I bet he'll die soon, so that'll be sad. I also read a lot of Chinese medicine stuff, currently Staying Healthy with the Seasons.
          "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

In bed books

Preciouspinot;133674 wrote: I love historical fiction...have you ever read " The Other Boylen Sister" ? I highly recommend it as I could not put it down.
            I believe the title was " The Other Bolyen Girl". I LOVE Phillipa Gregory and have read several of her books. There are quite a few left to be read and I will be including them in my reading list.

Currently I am reading "Mirror Mirror" by the same guy who wrote "Wicked" (his name escapes me at the moment).

I also enjoy sci-fi and fantasy - a friend of mine is going to lend me some Robert Jordan.

-Lorelei
            Suddenly I see
            This is what I want to be
            suddenly I see
            Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

In bed books

I also love the Other Boylen Girl - they're making a movie of it with Scarlett Johansen, I believe

Comment

In bed books

Hi guys

Thanks for all the fab suggestions. I have read Cold Comfort Farm (v v v funny) and The Other Boleyn book (v saucy and apparently based on real life ??? and am looking forward to the movie). I have The Constant Princess but havent read it yet by Phillippa Gregory - is on the pile.

I am in the middle of Antonia Frasers Charles II - v good he is on the throne now and getting down to some ruling and trying to beget himself an heir.

Wow I never knew so many people like historical books like me - all my mates and colleagues are into 'chick lit' or Harry Potter type things or crime books. Though I did read the Da Vinci Code last year as everyone had read it and surprised myself by actually enjoying it.

The other writer who is good is Tracey Chevalier - her books the Virgin Blue and of course Girl With A Pearl Earring were cracking reads. I always feel I learn a bit as well about the old history with fictional history like that. I have various shelves of historical books.

I am going to the library on the weekend so will check out some of your suggestions.:thanks:

Happy reading everyone !!!!

I tell you what I am looking for if anyone has any suggestions is a good biography of Queen Victoria - any ideas ????? :question:

Much love

Gargy

Comment

In bed books

No luck on the Queen Victoria front but I can't believe I forgot to mention a series that I absolutely love: The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Its sort of a mix of historical fiction, romance and time travel. There are five books, I believe, in the series currently and I have enjoyed them all. This series may be of particular interest for those with a penchant for scottish history preceeding and following the Jacobite revolution.
                  Suddenly I see
                  This is what I want to be
                  suddenly I see
                  Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

In bed books

Oooh I am a Scot so that would be good. My parents took me to Culloden when I was a wee girl - I know a wee bit about that period from my own reading and telly, for some reason they didnt teach us that much about it at school concentrating more on William Wallace and Robert the Bruce and the industrial revolution.

Comment

In bed books

If you like Tracey Chevalier try The Lady with the Unicorns.. Its set in Belguim round about the 14th century I think... I loved Girl with a Pearl Earring and went to see the film as well, unfortunately the film was crap..
                      A F F L..
                      Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

In bed books

Hi Gargy,

I love David Starky's books especially Elizabeth 1st. I've read alot of Phillipa Gregory too, a great one she wrote is called "The little house" it's a modern novel about a woman who moves to the country with her husband and he has a phsycho mum. I haven't read The Other Boylen girl bu I saw a TV adaptation andit was fab, loads of beautiful costumes.

Kitty
                        Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                        Confucius

Comment

In bed books

David Starkey is the best - his shows are fantastic - I love his wee barbed comments and his ability to build up tension about events. I even like him on periods I am not that bothered about. He is one person would love to have at fantasy dinner party.

Havent read his books though so much had a try.

Comment

In bed books

Connie Willis has 2 wonderful books that are mostly historical fiction but also science fiction about some historians at oxford who time travel for research. One is called Doomsday about the black plague. One is called To say Nothing of the Dog and is part WWII, part based on 3 Men and a Boat and part present day and is one of the funniest books I have ever read. I love everything she has written.

Comment

Working...
                            X