PMS anyone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PMS anyone ?

I don't usually start a new thread, and I don't mean to rehash an old subject, but
    When PMS hits thats when I drink.

I'm not going to drink but this is a hard time, I get anxiety attacks, irritable, and all of the other lovely things that go with it.

I have been taking evening primrose oil, dong quai, black cohosh, but I am still stressed out, and having trouble sleeping, and my 5htp, calms, and melatonin are not helping like they do the rest of the month, I get a little relief from the stress after the gym but it doesn't last.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be so grateful!!

kitkat: :catroll: :sighbubble:
    AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
    Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

PMS anyone ?

A girlfriend of mine swears by dairy. She has been increasing her intake of low fat dairy over the last few months and have found her symptoms are greatly decreased. She's not much of a drinker as she's on blood thinners but you might want to give it a try.
    Suddenly I see
    This is what I want to be
    suddenly I see
    Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

PMS anyone ?

Hi KitKat: I have had problems with PMS in the past. I take a couple Chinese herbal formulas that I've found helpful, and I've been seeing an acupuncturist for a couple years. The PMS has improved immensely, but we're still working on controlling heavy periods. Dong quai is very good, but maybe take it during the day. I know some women find it keeps them awake. I don't want to suggest specific formulas on the forum, maybe check into acupuncture - it really can help address a laundry list of low-grade annoying patterns in a cohesive sort of way. Good luck!
      "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

PMS anyone ?

Thanks Lorelei I will try dairy, Zin I am sure acupuncture would help but I found out today that my insurance doesn't cover acupuncture anymore, and believe me I am not thrilled to hear that, I will try dong quai for now.

Thanks Again
        kit

Comment

PMS anyone ?

I noticed that the kudzu cut it down alot. Don't recall if youre on it or not. Bird

Comment

PMS anyone ?

I have some but I haven't been faithfully taking it. I guess I will give it another try. Thanks!

Comment

PMS anyone ?

I find that for that week I definately need extra iron... It took me years to figure that out, but I really swear by it... Atleast double up on your iron for that temporary time. A tired person that is low on iron feels stess more intensely on sooooo many levels... Hope this helps you hon.. Oh yeah! Make some special time for just "You" cause you need it, I know I sure do sometimes.... ~Niblet~ and one extra for you !

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

PMS anyone ?

I have the same problem and read that making sure you get lots of calcium helps, and it does seem to. It's important to take it consistently all month. That may be why Lorelei's friend found relief in eating dairy. I know this is hard enough without the PMS, but the alcohol is a very temporary remedy. Hang in there.

Comment

PMS anyone ?

Ditto on the dairy. My doc just prescribed extra calcium (from whole food sources for my PMS related depression, etc. I also tend to go off the deep end during this time and now that menopause is approaching I have another excuse. The alcohol/depression cycle doesn't work. Good Luck

Comment

PMS anyone ?

Double ditto on the low-fat dairy. It has really helped me with my PMS over the last while. I had it so bad I could kill for a bottle of wine at the time. I still have mild cravings during my PMS but not even 1/4 as bad as it was. Give it a shot! Yogurt - a serving a day will do your body wonders. Not only for PMS but for your whole digestive/reproductive/skin etc.. as well.

Comment

PMS anyone ?

we need a hormone site

This topic comes up once a month (ha ha!)

Evening Primrose Oil works best for me & Calcium helps with cramps
                      I tried several birth control pills and finally Yasmin worked for me.
                      But, different remedies work for diferent folks... LaLiz

Comment

PMS anyone ?

kitkatsue;133956 wrote: Thanks Lorelei I will try dairy, Zin I am sure acupuncture would help but I found out today that my insurance doesn't cover acupuncture anymore, and believe me I am not thrilled to hear that, I will try dong quai for now.

Thanks Again
                        kit
                        calcium, magnesium and zinc help. so does acupuncture (oh your insurance is not helping the PMS) staying away from dairy and sugar or refined flour is really helpful.

sometimes when you are deep in PMS it's really hard to make decisions.
                        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

PMS anyone ?

Good to get the dairly clue..YES, absolutely PMS has been a trigger for my drinking binges in the past...like clock work for a wild. I make smoothies in the morning with frozen fruit, ff yogurt and the All One supplement. When I'm doing that, I know I'm doing something right.

Comment

PMS anyone ?

Thank you all so much for responding, and for all the good advice. It has been really tough but I can't give in and drink just because PMS runs my emotions, I was so frustrated today I had to force myself to take a deep breath. I will try everything you have all suggested.
                            Again thank you!!

kitkat

Comment

PMS anyone ?

great thread........

yeah, i've been bad but i seem to notice the week before my period such as now i seem to crave my "buddy"(yeah i know he's not really my buddy) smirnoff or bacardi......hormones must play a role. i'm more irratitable(sp). i crave carbs like i'm never going to have them again. i have been trying to replace carbs with healthy ones like fruits and veggies and rice........i may look into this pms thing more closely after finding this. i have my most difficult days during the last week of my pill packs......maybe i should go on a fewer period a year to help me out for the some time. all this info does help. we shall see. let me know how you are all working out. i take or took iron(diagnose anemic) so, i couldn't take calcium. another thing for me to work in to my diet maybe with yogurt...........

thanks for the thread..............

Comment

Working...
                              X