Messed in the Head :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messed in the Head :(

I have been really feeling mucked up the last few days. I am not sure where it started but now I feel even worse than I did initially. I really am not sure how I even got to this point as I was feeling so strong and hopeful last week. Now I can barely get on the boards and don’t feel much like responding to anything or anyone.

My In-laws came into town Thursday night last week. Friday my wife’s Dad and I worked on putting up a fence in my back yard. The ground here is all mud and it was very difficult digging the post holes. Well early on I some how managed to hurt what I thought was my elbow. Luckily I had my P-Doc appointment at 3:30 so I happily went off to that.

At the Dr.’s he read about the Topamax and had some concerns as he found a later study saying Topamax wasn’t that effective for drinking. We discussed alternatives and we settled on trying Naltrexone and Campral until the 21st when I go back to see him. He said I can drink on these and that it should lesson my desire within a week. That night I had a few.

Saturday comes along and we rush to get the fence done. I go to the store to get some things for the fence and drop off my meds. Head back, get the fence done and my arm is about ready to explode in pain! I head off to the local clinic and find out I torn my bicep muscles where it begins to join the bone. I also have a nasal infection so now I go back to the drug store and put more prescriptions in. That night I drank and took the Campral. My Mom called me that night around dinner time to tell me my 42 year old cousin had a heart attack. This is on top of my Mom’s sister having terminal lung cancer and her son having serious asthma and now her daughter has a hear attack!

Next day I am forbidden to help out because of my arm, so I rest about the house, but now I am surly beyond belief and just plain exhausted. The prednisone has kicked in. I try to nap but I cant say I even slept. The nap was 15 minutes of quasi-sleep then up then another 15 then up in an endless cycle. So that night I drink and this time I take the Naltrexone along with the Campral. Around midnight I get the most nauseating feeling in the world. I eat a small snack and it goes away and I go to bed. I have probably the worst night sleeping in my life. And that’s saying something because I am an insomniac that normally takes 1 to 2 hours to fall asleep. This was just like the nap, sleep sort-a 15 minutes then up and this lasts all night.

Monday my mood is in the shitter. Again, feeling surly for no reason what so ever. That night I take all the pills with the exception of Naltrexone. Sleep horribly again.

Tuesday I by this time don’t want to look at the boards and when I am I feel no urge to chat with anyone or post a message. Just feeling tired and down. In laws leave early for the rest of their vacation.
    pan style="font-family: Arial;">

Yesterday I am exhausted beyond belief. I couldn’t stay at work as I kept falling asleep in from of my computer. Told my boss I was heading home and took a nap until 5. Again I was doing the 15 minutes quasi-sleep. Wife recommends (this is funny) that I just get completely shit faced. So I drink ten beers and sleep ok. At least I only woke 3 times last night. I took Campral since Saturday and did not take any Naltrexone.

Today I can feel a frown on my face and don’t feel motivated to do anything. I don’t want to drink tonight, which is good to not have that desire. I am at a loss of what the Eff** is wrong with me. I don’t feel like myself. I know the prednisone is not helping but that will be gone in 2 days. This not being able to sleep is really tough because I am literally a zombie.

Sorry for the long post but I figured if I typed it all out it would make me feel better. Usually if does, but this time I feel apathetic. I just don’t feel right in the head.

:huh: :surrender: :huh:
    Hablur

Messed in the Head

Topa has WORKED wonders for me. Have you tried it Hablur? I am sorry you are struggling.

Comment

Messed in the Head

Hey Hablur,
      I am sorry but your doc is really really uninformed. You should not drink on Campral or Naltrexone- it will not kill you (I've done it a few times) but the point of these 2 drugs is for abstinence and the desire doesn't go away a week after being on them, if anything they work less if you drink on them.

I am doing the combo too Hablur, the first day I took 25mg of Naltrexone (and the regular dose of Campral) and like you felt really really sick and felt really horrible. I only took 25 mg for about 2 weeks. The nausea only happened that one day. Then I went up to 50mg (the prescribed dose), no nausea. One of the side effects is nausea and it is short lived.

If you are having trouble sleeping it could be from all the drinking. Why don't you pick a date to stop and take an over the counter sleep aid at night. Also, I take my naltrexone in the a.m. with my first dose of Campral. I really hope this helps you!!! :h
      Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Messed in the Head

Happy,

He has me on Naltrexone at 50mg and Campral 333 x6 pills daily. The Naltrexone I am very afraid of because of its dangers with opiods and having to wear a medic alert braclet. I have only taken it twice.

The sleep issue started the first time I took Naltrexone. It is nothing at all like I have ever eperienced while drinking. I have had a few restless nights when i have drunk too much but this is litterally 15 minutes of quasi-sleep then Im wide awake then fall back to sleep for 15 and the cycle repeats. I am just guessing that it is the prednisone though that is really doing it to me.

What concerns me is that I am in such a funk and doing feel like interacting with anyone. I was coming to these boards and posting regularly and my spirits were high. Now I feel blah. I don't want to post or even read about drinking or talk about it. I don't even really feel like drinking. I definately feel out of touch. I am forcing myself to post today to get some encouraging words and try to get back on track. The sleep issue has me so unbelievably tired. Nothing seems real when you are this tired.

Does Campral make you depressed or mess with your sleep this bad? Drinking never has for me.
        Hablur

Comment

Messed in the Head

Now that I think about it, I am waking up a lot. I do take Lunesta to help me sleep which should get me through the night but it hasn't lately. I am quite tired all the time you are right.

I don't think it's the Campral because I took that before and I was fine. It's either the combo or the Naltrexone. I don't think it's the prednisone but I could be wrong. I've been feeling disconnected lately myself but I did not put it all together. I would stop drinking though, if I were you, or stop the meds so you don't waste the pills. I think you are onto something though, Naltrexone and exhaustion as a side effect!!! :upset:
          Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Messed in the Head

I wanted to reiterate what Happy said about your doctor being uninformed. As I understand you are not supposed to be drinking on it, and in fact they suggest you quit for a few days before you even take the Campral. And if you are continuing to drink then maybe go off the drugs and see if your mood/sleep changes.

Having said that, have you ever taken prednisone before? If not, I know many people who have been angry and really wired on it, cannot sleep a wink. I am sorry you are feeling down but maybe in two days when you stop the prednisone that will help some.

Here's is hoping you start feeling back to your old self soon.....
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Messed in the Head

Hi Hablur,

I wish I could help more as your current pain is really coming through. Never having taken the meds I can't offer any experiences or guidance so listen to the others and see what they say.

What I can do is just respond to what you're saying and the picture you've created. Firstly I think it's important for you to keep remembering how you felt last week - you will feel that way again, though it's obviously going to take a little time at the moment to get back to that place (or forward to an even better, more knowledgeable one), so take a deep breath and try to look objectively.

-It would seem that the meds are screwing something up and maybe that's what needs to be addressed now - more people here have experience of that but maybe a second opinion from another available doctor as well?
              -You're right about sleep deprivation - you can't function well - possibly why they use it as a form of torture! So emotionally and mentally you're under a lot of stress.
              -Physically you're now injured so you can't fight this the way you may want to.
              -Emotionally you have major health issues in the family, which I am so sorry to hear about. You obviously feel deeply concerned for your aunt and what she is having to cope with which will obviously affect you emotionally and maybe even deeper psychologically.
              -All the changes your body's going through as you try to beat this alcohol sickness.

...this is just an outsider's interpretation of what you shared, but even if I've missed the mark it would seem to me that the world is spinning a little too quickly and you feel out of control. If you pick one priority and get that sorted, you may well find the other things fall in to place, or you are in an emotional or physical condition to deal with it. Getting the right balance of meds and, related I'm sure, the sleep issue would seem to be the priority now. Find one foothold and it can lead you to another, and another. So hang in there, this is temporary even though it doesn't feel like it now. We're always around even if you're not posting or responding - there are many days I just take comfort in reading other people's posts but don't feel I have the ability or energy to contribute anything - just keep coming anyway and when you're ready, jump back in - just to let us know how you're doing if nothing else!

I loved the enthusiasm and energy of your posts and I look forward to seeing that level return - so until then, lean on us, use whatever help and support you can find and be kind to yourself. You're doing brilliantly - even with all this, your determination to get on top of it is also really coming across stongly.

Many :l while you get this sorted and hope you're feeling better soon. :h
              :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
              Goals:
              Days 1-7 DONE
              Days 8-14 DONE
              Days 15-21 DONE
              30 days DONE
              60 days
              100 days

Comment

Messed in the Head

HI Hablur..I ditto what Arial says..the very fact that you've injured yourself and are not getting any sleep is enough to make anybody not feel like themself..then you add the chemical prescriptions and mix some alcohol...all of these things are external components that will influence how you feel...there is nothing wrong with 'you'...your body feels like crap and if you are anything like me, I have a hard time when I'm not feeling well..it effects everything..mind and body. Be gentle with yourself dear. Have you tried the Calmes Forte...I swore by that stuff when I frist started out...and now, don't worry about posting..we all have times when we just need to take things in. Big warm wishes for your feeling better coming your way))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))

Comment

Messed in the Head

Hi all-

I really really think that Calms Forte helps me sleep. I take 3 before bed when I cant sleep, and I'm out like a light!

Comment

Messed in the Head

Hi Hab.. I don't anything about the 'real meds' part of this. But I do know about pressure, esp. from family. I am always here for you.

Please try to think about you; I know we always think that and it's much harder than we think..it's so much easier to give in. I know that for sure.

Comment

Messed in the Head

Thanks for the replies all, particularly Arials. This may sound trite but I just wish someone could take over being me for a day... you know? Someone that doesnt face all this crap, like my wife's bi-polar and chrons, my Aunt dying from Stage 4 lung cancer, my cousin having severe asthma, my other cousin having a heart attack, my dad having a very lonely and ill life, my mom running around taking care of everyone, my sister in law having the worse kind of MS, my brother not making enough money to support his family, ... and finally myself... having a drinkng problem that I am having a terrible time getting under wraps.

What do you do on the days like this? When I am feeling good I can just feel the power in me and can say no to the bottle. When I am feeling so overloaded I honestly say why am I fighting it. On days like this I wish someone could just take control of me and make me not get beer on the way home from work.

I cant believe my wife said to get blasted last night but it is the only way I slept. I halfway feel alive today. No hangover just a bit tired. I am frightened of trying to sleep tonight.

What the hell is wrong with my brain that I just cant stop! I am being utterly serious. Even though I am here I just feel like I am still out of control and can't get past a few days AF. I am going to stop writing now 'cause I am actually upsetting myself very much.
                      Hablur

Comment

Messed in the Head

Hablur all I can say is that I am really really sorry and that you can get past this really crappy day. And try to put things in perspective. It's hard to think of other people's hardships when we are wrapped up in our own but boy there sure a lot of people on this site that have have lives filled with misery, death, illness, sadness, ick ick ick. We've all got some serious problems going on. Then the booze on top of it seems so unfair. I hear you totally. :h

Comment

Messed in the Head

Hang in there Hablur! Quitting drinking/cutting down drastically, medications, family, lack of sleep and an injury is enough to make one go into a funk. Thinking of you - and hope you feel better soon!

A part of my experience when I first quit drinking was a severe funk myself. I didn't want to do anything with anyone - didn't have the energy to communicate at all. It took a lot to just shower in the morning. I couldn't sleep properly even when I took a sleep aid. It just sucked. It did eventually pass though! Be extra kind to yourself. There are a many mood one must go through during this process.

I hope your injury clears up soon. My husband takes prednisone when his Crohn's is active. It helps with inflammation wonderfully. Take care.

Comment

Messed in the Head

Hablur, first of all, gentle hugs for you. Life has a way of coming at you full force some days, doesn't it. As many others have said, having an injury will put you in an odd place. Add to that the sinus infection, and all the NEW meds started at the same time, well it is no wonder your poor body is confused and apathetic. Not to mention all the additonal stress going on right now. In my experience with a severely asthmatic child, prednisone can REALLY muck with your emtions. It is a steroid, and well, you've heard about 'roid rage, right? Also, some of the more powerful antibiotics can cause a fatigue that is truly unnatural. A call to your pharmacist/chemist or doctor might be in order. Mixing that many meds could be a problem. As for the sleeping, again, I would point to the prednisone. My son couldn't sleep and was just nasty for the duration of the time whenever he was on it. Good luck, hope sleep arrives for you!
                            Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Messed in the Head

Hablur, I am so sorry to read all this. hugs to you. The biggest message I want to send is I have COMPLETELY stopped drinking now for almost a year. I take topamax and I know it has really helped me a ton. Seems to do something to your brain and makes ya just not wanna drink! But one of the best side effects is I used to be insomniac and now I sleep like a baby. I wish you lots of luck resolving this.
                              Gabby :flower:

Comment

Working...
                              X