EUROVISION - Major chunkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eurovision is some of Europe's less cultured cultural heritage. It takes either being drunk or totally stoned to sit through an evening of major Kitsch -

Anyway, here are some funny facts of the event which is about to take place in Finland coming up tonight:

Italy boycotted the 1981 Eurovision Song contest, saying that it was too old fashioned, while the following year France ducked out saying that the cost was too great for such mediocre results.

Some of the most popular entries to the Eurovision Song contest have including wonderful titles like, 'Boom Bang-aBang' (UK, 1969), 'A-Ba-Ni-Ba' (Israel, 1978), 'Bana Bana' (Turkey, 1989) and 'Bourn Badaborun' (Monaco, 1967).

In the 1978 competition, Norway became the first country to not receive a single vote for their entry, 'Mil Etter Mil' (Mile after Mile).

1983 Turkish Eurovision entry, 'Opera' consisted entirely of the word 'Opera' being repeated over and over while Spain's cleverly titled, 'La La La' contained no fewer than 138 la's.

In the 1968 event Britain complained that Spain had not voted for their entry (Cliff Richard's 'Congratulations') to make it lose. In 1966 Scandinavians Sweden & Norway, who finished second & third respectively were accused of 'teaming up' to help each other.

Norway entered the 1980 competition with a song written about the construction of a hydro-electric power station. Finland, not to be outdone by their Scandanavian neighbours scored nul points in the 1982 competition with a song protesting about the building of a nuclear power station.

The youngest ever winner of the Eurovision Song contest was 13 year old Sandra Kin from Belgium in 1986. A natural result of this was that contestants started to get younger until a furore occured in 1989 with France's 11 year old entry and Israel's 12 year old.
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

I love Terry Wogan........that's all I'm saying

Comment

OK, Melon, and I admit that I like C?line Dion although I hate her for ever having composed the Titanic song which will torment me till the end of my days ;-))
      Paddy

Comment

Celine what can I say. I might have been spotted outside Caesars in Vegas last year after spending the day drinking swearing at the massive billboard and refusing to accompany my friends inside.....and dont get me started on that durge from that awful Titanic nonsense.....

But her winning song Ne Parte Pas Sans Moi in 1988 for Switzerland is still one of my all time fav Eurovision wins ever.

Many thanks Paddy for the trivia !!!!! Fab stuff.

Am currently in process of getting ready listening to the finalists so can make a bet, and searching for my paintbox to make flags to decorate for later. And sending text messages to remind people to be here by 8pm sharp.

Have already started day off by dancing round flat with a very annoyed cat to the UK entrant.

And I havent had a drink in nearly a week !!!!!

Funny enough my neighbours have left underneath me.......

PS Sir Terry is the king but I think Paddy O Connell on BBC3 is a worthy successor is hilarious. What is it about Irishmen and Eurovision they make such fab commentators !

Comment

Well, it seems to me that Eastern Europe has taken over the Eurovision. And what the Hell are Turkey and Israel doing in the Eurovision??? I mean, nothing personal, but frankly ... Turkey, to a certain extent, I still understand (geographically),
          Paddy

Comment

Ah Paddy

Here I can help !!! A friend of mine told me that apparently technically ANY country can enter the Eurovision so even countries no where near could !!!! Apparently as is a commercial thing or something.

There is a lot of Eastern and far Eastern Europe in but I think Wogan hit it on the head last year when he said loads of countries who have been in it years like us and France dont take it seriously anymore. I get the impression loads of newer entries are more into it and make more of an effort.

7 hours to go !!!!!

Comment

We gave up a long time ago. It's not the resources, just the talent, grin ... We used to have to hire singers from France, Belgium, and the like to sing for us, ha, ha. Nowadays, we're just leaving it to Easter Europe. Anyway, I remember fondly the days of Waterloo!
              Paddy

Comment

yes but theres no doctor who agghhhh it might turn me to drink!!!!!!!

Comment

Indeed! That's why, thanks God, I'm in Asia. I'm in bed while all the other will have to suffer thru it, ha, ha.
                  Paddy

Comment

ha ha had the last laugh been out and bought a load of dvds for tonight tee hee i'll stayw ith my fanta zero !!

Comment

Hi Paddy,
                      I'm sitting watching it as I 'speak'.
                      I have to agree with Melon. Terry Wogan makes up for all the dross with his dry wit.
                      There's nothing else on here on worth watching on a Saturday night anymore. I think that they think everyone is out getting legless, so the BBC can save a few quid by putting on any old tosh they like. I think I'll let them know that some of us still need entertained on Saturdays.

Comment

You're right, Paul, that's the sad truth. I'm turning to books nowadays, and a few DVDs.
                        Paddy

Comment

Working...
                        X