37 Days AF and IT came for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazingly, I'm still here, sober. This is only my second post because I haven't had much to say, although I read the boards daily. I got the book, cds, supps & topa and its worked from day one. I take 125mgs of topa daily with no side effects and have had no alcohol cravings or thoughts of drinking, none at all, until today.

My wife had to go out of town for the night and an old friend from the glory days called out of the blue this afternoon at work and on my way home from work it hit me like a truck, almost taking over my motor function and guiding me to the liquor store for "just two" bottles of wine instead of the old three bottles because I was going to be good.

Somehow I was able to make it home and down a couple more Kudzu, read the boards and walk my dogs to shake it off. I can't wait to listen to the hypno cds in bed tonight. This is really scary stuff for me. For me there is no moderation. I don't understand the point. I only drink to get drunk. At the end: Really, broken front tooth, black out drunk.

In any event it looks like I have made it through day 37 AF and although I have a gym in my house I can not bring myself to get back to exercising. I am also eating ice cream every night which I never did before. Any suggestions?

first off a big congrads Barry!! you are a fighter. Motivation and cravings will all get better by eliminating or greatly reducing sugar intake. L-glutamine helps with both alcohol and sugar cravings. I take one or two heaping teaspoons of LGlut per day in juice.
    That will help the lethargic feeling to lift once you balance your blood sugar levels...then you have the workout equipment ready to go! let us know how goes....
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Wow Barry! Job well done. I was going to suggest the l-glutamine as well. It really helps.

Would love to see you around the boards more posting. We all need to hear success stories like yours. I hope you are feeling really good about yourself right now because you should!
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Bloody well done Barry! The way you tackled that moment you faced, is a real credit to you. I'm sure there will be other moments like that down the track but hopefully they'll become weaker and fewer inbetween. You have solid resolve and know what where you'll end up if you have that one glass.

Stick with the AF Barry!

Scoob
        :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

THAT'S AWESOME BARRY! :wd:

I'm in the same boat as you....all the motivation in the world to stay AF but to take my lazy butt downstairs to the workout room-nada! I've just started to change that.

I see you're munchin' on ice cream-ok. I used to enjoy my treats because when I gave up my precious booze, I didn't want to take away my treats-that would be torture. Once I got 2 months under my belt I started my dieting-no crazy sweets, junk food etc. Now I'm at 5 months and am managing to go downstairs and go on my elliptical ( even for 10 minutes) after everytime I check in here. I mentally have programed myself to give myself some endorphine treats. It comes down to baby steps & building it up from there.

Keep up the great work & would love to hear more from you! Pop into Monthly Abs & just say a daily Hi-we're always there.
          :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Forget the worry about the ice-cream - that is NOTHING compared to winning the battle of the bottle!!!!! Congratulate yourself for a marvelous moment of clarity and resistance. you ARE stronger than the poison!

Every time you resist you are getting stronger.

F.

(nearly 6 months sober!)
            It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Congratulations Barry!!!...I'm behind you at 23 days right now myself...I was kind of wondering why I've been craving sugary drinks in the evening but I guess it is to substitute the alcohol...perhaps if I take a little more L-glut that will take care of that....
              :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

Barry You Did It !!! You passed the ultimate test with flying colours. Do you take a multivitamin? Is it possible that your body is lacking a vitamin or mineral ? I too crave something like icecream at night and I shared a recipe in the fitness section of MWO under " weigh-in".. Anyhow, I put 3 Tablespoons of chocolate flavoured protein powder, 6 Tablespoons of skim milk powder , 2 Tablespoons of chocolate fat-free syrup (nesquick?), 7 or so icecubes, about 3/4 c. of water or cold coffee.... Blend until smooth. I even pour this into popsicles forms to freeze to make high protein fudgicles... This is my sweet, chocolate fix... I would imagine a person to change up the recipe to be a vanilla flavoured powder, fresh strawberries or yogurt etc.. bananas even ? Be creative. Hope I've helped you. ~Niblet~

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Before I go to work, I check this site everyday to see how everyone is doing and then I check throughout the day. Sometimes the stories are hard because I share the same pain, but overall it is very encouraging. Even the stories of people down help because of the support they generate. Congratulations Barry and thanks everyone.

DW

Comment

Oh my... exercise

Exercise -- I am AF since April 11th -- so that is wow 36 days Breez I feel guilty b/c I too have an eliptical -- I bought it on e-bay over a year ago ... it is an amazing rack to dry clothes ... Barry I hear you -- I have an excuse -- two injured feet. Now I have LOST weight -- probably 10 pounds ... (pitched the scale years ago) but I am a noodle ...
                    I have only been taking 50mg of topa (probably because I am on soooooo many other meds -- pain med / thyroid med) and I don't have cravings ... Determinator is correct -- eliminating refined sugar is very helpful with this process... the book (which I feel would have sold more copies if it had a different title) Potatoes Not Prozac talked about sugar sensitivity -- it impacts some of us moreso than others...

I agree it is hard when a pal from the days when we were rockstars surfaces it is tough!
                    LaLiz...

Comment

Barry well done on all counts. For going as long as you have without needing much support, for bypassing the shop (and the 2 bottles) and for posting here - cause just maybe this time you may have needed to.
                      The only thing I can suggest is to slowly eliminate sugar from your life. I KNOW this sounds extreme, but sugar will always be a 'hook' back to your drinking days. Just think about how much sugar is in alcohol?....
                      I have read time and time again in many books on sobriety that if you continue to have a diet high in sugars (including white bread, pasta and white rice), not to mention ice cream, you are seriosly jeopardizing your abstinence. It has something to do with how your body regulates blood sugar. Perhaps that's something to look into???
                      Anyway, best of luck. You are an inspiration!!!
                      Amelia
                      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Yes,
                        I definitely need to do something about the carbs. I like chips and stuff like that, I eat wheat pasta and try to eat decent carbs but I am have been wayyy overdoing it. I should be losing weight right now. It's May 17 and I've only drank 4 days out of it, for me that's pretty damn good and I'm on a good stretch right now.
                        Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X