Is it really wrong to enjoy the buzz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This came up quite a lot while I was discussing my moderation plan in the general discussion section. The one thing that I do like about booze is the buzz, not the taste?I actually can?t stand it unless the liquor is chilled in the freezer.

Some here in this section might not know me but after drinking pretty much every evening for 13 years I decided to do moderate drinking my way and that is to cut back to only drinking Friday and Saturday. The buzz is what I am after, a way to get out of my head for awhile and just relax. Some have said that the search for the buzz is what differentiates alcoholics from ?normal drinkers? however I disagree. The buzz is what most people are after while knocking back a few?there is only one person I have met in my entire life that would enjoy booze for the taste instead of the buzz and he was a hardcore rare scotch fan.

So what if I enjoy the buzz but have cut back drinking substantially? Anyone have any opinions on this?
    Whoever I had become, the alcoholic, had to die.

Hi TG!!

Yes, I noticed this in the, hmm, discussion about moderating.

I joined back in 2009 and I remember one of the really stalwart posters on the Mods board, DeeBee, responding to one of my posts by saying something about learning "not to chase the buzz." I'm still pondering this, because, although I realise that to really "chase" the effect by drinking quickly and so on is not the way to go, I do honestly, drink partially because I enjoy the buzz.

For me, one crucial part of drinking moderately is stopping at an appropriate time (yes, what is "appropriate" and also yes, there are other crucial things). However, something I tell myself when I'm having that little argument about why not have just one more is: "I have a really nice buzz right now. I am enjoying it!! But, I know from experience that the one more will not necessarily extend this particular feeling; it may, but it also may lead to the next stage, where I'm not buzzed, I'm drunk. I like the buzz. I don't like being drunk. So - time to stop. By the time the buzz wears off, it's probably time for bed anyway."

Not sure if this resonates with where you are, but just my spin on the buzz.

I'm going to repeat myself, because I think it explains in some ways why I want to moderate. I like the buzz. I do not like being drunk.

We'll have to check in with each other next October!

Comment

True- I understand you...

I like the buzz and the escape it provides... I just can't stop at the buzz or escape.. I also like being drunk. That care free feeling of listen to music really loud and going thru the thoughts in my head.
      I so wish I could moderate... I actually like the taste and buzz..

I really think it's awesome that you are only drinking on Friday & Saturday. And if you like the buzz and aren't completely debilitated the next day and aren't having any trouble keeping your clothes on in public and aren't an anger drinker I kinda don't see what people complain about... Even if you yourself are comfortable with the next day hangover that's up to you.. You gotta find what works for you...
      Always remember that everyone has an opinion- and we know what opinions are like....
      I really believe you have to look into your own heart and soul to decide what you are happy with..

I am being sober right now but I can't tell you what will happen in the future and I can't promise you I will never drink again.. Just have to do what makes me happy right now.

Was that to much?

I'm still really proud of you for your apology post... That takes some nuts.

Comment

DancingGirl;1618347 wrote: Hi TG!!

Not sure if this resonates with where you are, but just my spin on the buzz.

I'm going to repeat myself, because I think it explains in some ways why I want to moderate. I like the buzz. I do not like being drunk.

We'll have to check in with each other next October!
        I agree with what you had to say to an extent, I like the buzz and there is a very small window as you venture into drunk land where it is euphoric but one more shot could destroy that real quick.

bkyogagirl wrote: I really think it's awesome that you are only drinking on Friday & Saturday. And if you like the buzz and aren't completely debilitated the next day and aren't having any trouble keeping your clothes on in public and aren't an anger drinker I kinda don't see what people complain about... Even if you yourself are comfortable with the next day hangover that's up to you.. You gotta find what works for you...
        Always remember that everyone has an opinion- and we know what opinions are like....
        I really believe you have to look into your own heart and soul to decide what you are happy with..
        I am glad that I have found some people here who understand what I am talking about. I have a hell of a lot of experience with booze so I know when I have reached that limit where its time to stop and just enjoy the feeling without waking up the next day wishing someone would just shoot me already.

I haven't lost my clothes yet but I used to know people that when they got just a bit hammered would shed their clothes like they hated them lol. I have never been an angry drinker unless it is tequila, for some reason when I drink that I want to hulk smash peoples face in, needless to say I haven't touched it in years for that exact reason and the week I spent in jail. I have a friend that insists that there is a drink out there for everyone that will do it to them, his is jack and I wont go to a bar with him if he is drinking that.

bkyogagirl wrote:
        I'm still really proud of you for your apology post... That takes some nuts.
        Well thanks ya. I have always said that if a man makes a mistake than he should man up to it and own it.
        Whoever I had become, the alcoholic, had to die.

Comment

You are lucky you know when enough is enough... Sometimes I do and sometimes I really don't.. I don't like hangovers and the older I get the more I suffer..

LOL... Glad to hear you don't hate your clothes.. Tequila is my nemesis as well.. I can have say a margarita but if I take shots Black Widow comes out... I think I can kick even a 6'5" 250 pound guy's ass.
          Gotta love me. .. 10 foot tall and bulletproof... So I steer clear of it.

You sound like you are doing good.. There are people on here who are non-judgmental who will accept you no matter what you are doing. Those are the type of people you want in your life anyway...
          Right?

Keep rocking it.

Comment

I hope not TG... I am now in a holding/waiting and drinking pattern waiting for my Naltrexone meds to arrive to help me and DH moderate using The Sinclair Method. I am catching my buzz and sometimes enjoy it.. and sometimes just use it to escape - depends on the events of the day.

So, my final answer is.... if it's just to have a relaxing and/or fun time, and/or increased enjoyment of a social event, there is nothing wrong with it! If I am trying to escape from my life, sitting around the house alone and feeling sorry for myself, then it is nothing more than feeding my addiction. That I don't want.

Oh, and that buzz also plays havoc with my inhibitions - which makes me eat more cause I just don't care.. THAT is not good for my health!

Good topic!
            "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
            ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Comment

Hey, TrueGrit.
              I also enjoy the buzz. Mine comes after two glasses of wine. What I constantly try to deal with is that sometimes two glasses of wine pushes me to more. I HAVE been successful in the past of limiting myself to strictly two glasses. Sitting and enjoying the buzz. And not having more. That is my long-term goal for being here. Truly moderating.

I have read and admired your posts. You, as others have said, have guts. We are all in this together, all on the path. Welcome!

Comment

nonamegirl;1618589 wrote: Hey, TrueGrit.
                I also enjoy the buzz. Mine comes after two glasses of wine. What I constantly try to deal with is that sometimes two glasses of wine pushes me to more. I HAVE been successful in the past of limiting myself to strictly two glasses. Sitting and enjoying the buzz. And not having more. That is my long-term goal for being here. Truly moderating.

I have read and admired your posts. You, as others have said, have guts. We are all in this together, all on the path. Welcome!
                NNG - this is precisely what I experience!! Precisely. I would add that the first glass has lovely associations of sitting down after a day well spent. I like the taste of good white wine and the first mouthfulls are relaxing, comforting, special. Then the second glass brings the buzz. THEN, like you, I have that push to have another. Then another? Heading off into non-mod land at that point (based on my definitions).

This is a really good discussion to have, so thanks again to TG for starting it. We need to be able to talk about this openly, because the more I think about it, it is in the separation between the buzz-time and slipping over into inebriated that the moderation struggle lies.

(not sure that last sentence worked )

Love to all on yet another frigid morning.

Comment

Absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the buzz, its why I drank. I have no "off" button for most anything I do (ask my wife about my non stop talking........:H)

I just do and say some really stooooopid things when Im drinking and THAT I dont miss.

Hell I had all but given up on my beloved brownies....a few weeks ago I bought another box....now I am hooked AGAIN!!
                  Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Do people differentiate between getting a buzz, feeling tipsy, and getting drunk?

Comment

For me it goes........tipsy, buzzed, drunk Not much separation in the first two, the last one just makes me lose my mind.

And to be honest, I dont know that at the end of my career, I was even "feeling drunk", I was out of it for sure, but didnt feel like it
                      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Okay - this is interesting, because I would call that first glow "the buzz", then put tipsy next (probably shouldn't drive at that point, talk a bit too much, etc), then drunk third (slurring words, shouldn't do email, definitely don't operate heavy machinery etc).

Maybe what I really like is the "glow."

Comment

DG, the differentiation for me between a buzz and tipsy is slight. I think they are kinda one in the same for me. I rarely get drunk no matter how much I drink.. but when I do I usually am rarely aware of it while it's happening. At home I'm not aware because I don't walk around much. When out, that is when I know.. and I don't like it at all.. My moderating goal is never to get past buzzed/tipsy. And, only when it will enhance a social situation, OR just give me a relaxed feeling after a good day.
                          "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
                          ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Comment

Such a delicate balance chasing the buzz. If I had a filling meal and am hydrated, 2 glasses of wine then water for an hour is a safe zone. If I want a third after an hour (surprise! I don't always want one!) I'm ok with that. When we were on holiday, I'd have a glass of wine before dinner, usually 2 glasses with dinner (sometimes 3, but dinner lasted several hours) and then an after dinner drink - (wine, sticky, or port) - and it was a very nice, happy buzz. No hangover. Walked off the calories sightseeing and swimming. As I said before, it makes me what to drink like this everyday. BUT, I can't drink like this in my day-to-day life - I overdo it. Holiday and special occasion drinking seems to work for me when I force myself to abstain when the party is over.
                            10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Working...
                            X