Moderation for real!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moderation for real!!

Ok so, i tried to make it 30 days and made it 12. then, i began to come up with reasons why it was ok to drink, and that turned into a nightly thing again. so, I ordered the vitamin pack that has anti craving stuff, have been doing the CD hypnosis and tonight, I vow to drink on Sat, Sun ONLY!!!!! I will be honest on my drink tracker. I have to do this or, i may have to abstain completely!!!

Any ideas?

thanks,
    ?Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.?

― John Wayne

Moderation for real!!

If you do the weekend drinking - will this be moderate - ie a few units of AL or will you be saving up your weekly units to have a weekend binge? Be honest with yourself.

Do you think weekend drinking is going to teach yourself new patterns of associating booze with a treat or relaxation etc. ? Or will it just start the cravings all over again - misery on Monday, Etc.

What do you want from this?

Comment

Moderation for real!!

Hi, Meshellrn

Most programs recommend that you achieve at least 30 days without drinking at all before you try to determine whether you can moderate. It takes time for those reward pathways to calm down. I'm not an expert on this but I suspect that if you don't abstain for at least this amount of time, you will wind up drinking too much each weekend and it might lead again to daily drinking. Vitamins and CDs are good support for a well-developed plan but are not a "cure" that will affect the hit your brain is going to take when you drink. Once those neurochemicals are affected, I think you are going to want more and more. At least that is what used to happen to me.

Were you thinking of allowing yourself to drink in moderation this weekend? That means 1 (or at the most, 2) 5 oz glasses of wine for a woman.

All the best to you, NS

Comment

Moderation for real!!

Good luck Meshell!
        I know that I have never had one or two drinks in my life...nor would I have been satisfied with that. Moderation seems like a lot of work! Let us know how it's going ok?
        K9
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Moderation for real!!

Meshell, I have to agree with my friends No Sugar and K9, as well as my personal experience (and opinion). If you can't do 30 days, how will you control drinking in moderation? If you are in control, you can do 30 days. I hope you go for it, then decide how important alcohol is to you.
          10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Moderation for real!!

Tried and failed dismally even after 30 days alcohol free.

Best of luck
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Moderation for real!!

Hi Meshell,

As someone who is moderating right now, I want to welcome you to our boards. Check out the Mod Squad thread. I've also started a Moderating Tool Kit (which, interestingly, not a lot of people seem interested in - worth pondering).

I would encourage you, however, to reflect a bit on your idea of choosing moderation because you couldn't do 30 days of abstinence. No one here will even quiz you about that, but moderation is its own decision and lifestyle rather than the default for abstinence that didn't work.

Finally, if you are serious about modding, you might check out the DrinkAware drink tracker. It is very serious about letting you know when you have had more than the recommended daily units (DipGal will back me up that the big RED bar and warning pop-up are quite startling). https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/about-us. But - I've found it wonderfully encouraging to watch my units drop each week and when I've been having those little discussions about "You've had two glasses of wine, so it's time to stop," thinking about how I'm going to mess up my record on the drinktracker actually is a motivator!

Hope this helps and check in on our other threads.

Comment

Moderation for real!!

Moderation is Hard. It really is easier to abstain than to moderate. I agree with DipGal, use DrinkAware, and be honest with yourself.
                10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Moderation for real!!

treetops;1619707 wrote: If you do the weekend drinking - will this be moderate - ie a few units of AL or will you be saving up your weekly units to have a weekend binge? Be honest with yourself.

Do you think weekend drinking is going to teach yourself new patterns of associating booze with a treat or relaxation etc. ? Or will it just start the cravings all over again - misery on Monday, Etc.

What do you want from this?
                  treetops,

Very thought provoking and interesting questions. Like your thinking a lot.

:l
                  Eve11
                  "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Moderation for real!!

meshellrn;1619701 wrote: Ok so, i tried to make it 30 days and made it 12. then, i began to come up with reasons why it was ok to drink, and that turned into a nightly thing again. so, I ordered the vitamin pack that has anti craving stuff, have been doing the CD hypnosis and tonight, I vow to drink on Sat, Sun ONLY!!!!! I will be honest on my drink tracker. I have to do this or, i may have to abstain completely!!!

Any ideas?

thanks,
                    Hey don't beat yourself up you're doing great! Give it a try maybe you can moderate maybe you can't onlytime will tell. Keep trying, at the end of the day there's ways and means. Yes I know we're not supposed to have more than two small glasses of wine in one sitting but drinking a bit less a bit less often is a victory. I struggle but if I want to drink I'll regulate it in my own way and I drink a lot less than what I did. Just do your thing, and you'll be OK. Good luck. Xx

Comment

Working...
                    X