Food and Mood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food and Mood

Just when I think I have binged enough on books...

Here comes another gem

Food and Mood by Elizabeth Somer

This books explains how neurotransmitters work and explain cravings for foods and drinks.

There is so much of value in this book, about eating disorders, carb and sugar cravings, depression and nutrition, too much to post here.

Here are a few things that caught my eye:

Elevated endorphins contribute to a pregnant woman's longings for certain foods; a woman's uncontrollable cravings before her period; sweet tooth in times of stress; cravings for alcohol in an alcoholic; overeating in obse peop;le, binge eathers and bulimics.

Satisfying endorphin cravings is self-perpetuating because these foods further raise endorphin levels in the brin, which explains why you want to eat an entire box of chocolates once you start. The very taste of something sweet on the tongue immediately releases endorphins in the brain, making the sweet treat instantly enjoyable.

Food and Mood

Looks FAB Nancy...very interesting...I love anything to do with food and nutrition after I read 'lets get well' by Adele Davis as a teenager....
    I love the idea of relying on food and lifestyle as a preventitive rather than meds as a cure, so will look out for this little baby when I go to town today.

And yes....I am a 'book binger' too.....I panic if I finish a particularly good tome and haven't got anything else to move on to....worrying????:H

Thanks Nancy
    Weegreedymelon x

Comment

Food and Mood

...very interesting... and which of MWO supps work on these endorphins?

Otie

Comment

Food and Mood

In terms of MWO, I think the All One helps restore vitamins that you lost from drinking.

The book suggests that satisfying the endorphin fix with sugary things and simple carbs sets you up for bad health.

"simple carbohydrates contribute to the problem, complex, minimally processed carbohydrates are part of the cure. Nutrient packed whole grain breads and cereals, crackers, brown rice, and starchy vegetables do not aggravate endorphin levels but they do satisfy serotonin needs. these nutricious foods help curb cravings and soothe moods."

Snacking on these foods should be regular to keep cravings at bay.

hope that helps.
        oh just found something else...

"Carboyhydrate cravings during tobacco and and alcohol withdrawal probably are influenced by scrambled body chemicals, including blood sugar, serotonin, endorphins and other hormones, and nerve chemicals. When people turn to sugary foods, they experience
        temporary high, but within a few hours they feel tired, anxious and irritable again and return for another jolt of sugar and caffeine. The chemical roller coaster that results makes their process that much more difficult and painful."

Comment

Food and Mood

I got the book today and another one called The BioChemical Machine 2, Empowering Your Body Chemistry. Also had to buy a book on how to fight a traffic ticket. My best chance is the cop does not show up.

Comment

Working...
          X