Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Hi Everyone
    Just read some of the postings in moderate, I am curious to know what is classed as moderate drinking , and any hints on how your achieve that, I truly would love to be able to be a moderate drinker, giving up all together really seems horrible to me, not sure if thats because i am a drunk or normal people feel that as well.
    ACCEPTANCE IS A POWERFUL THING

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Hi chilli, my opinion on what is moderation ......to be able to have a couple of glasses and then feel thats enough. I would class my husband as a moderate drinker and me as a binge drinker. This is why. We will be sitting at the bar with a drink each. He will drink, chat and generally enjoy his drink casually. Whereas I will sip my drink, being careful not to drink too quickly and I will be thinking about getting another. We will then get another and the same happens. But then quite often my husband has had enough, so will want to get home. By this time I'm thinking thats okay because I have a bottle at home. so I will secretly drink it without him knowing. I get wasted, we argue and bang goes another day.
    I would love to be a moderate drinker but my brain works differently.

Sorry, I've probably not been very helpful in answering your question!!!! I'm sure you will get some other opinions. Bella xxxx

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Bella,
      I think you explained that very well.
      My brain is the same as yours.

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Hi Popeye, I was wondering where you were! you have been away! Glad you are back. Bella xxx

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Hi

I personally class moderation as keeping within the recommended weekly units - I don't know if you have them where you are but our Health Professionals recomment women drink no more than 14 units a week. I can drink that in an hour! A unit in the UK is a small beer, very small wine - you get the idea. A bottle of 12% wine is about 14 units, so if you are drinking a bottle of wine every night (like me) you are well over! Moderation to me personally would be to keep within the guidelines.

I've recently had a few health scares and am really trying to cut down to the recommended units. I'm not doing very well at the moment but that's another story.

Take care and good luck

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

In my view
            no more than 3 drinks per day
            no more than 3 days per week

doesn't mean i can do it
            Enough is enough

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

in my view

moderation means stopping when you can, not when you cant

I didn't used to be able to do this. now I can. (thanks to these boards and the fll program incl topamax). generally I have 2 glasses a night 3 times a week. i used to have 2 bottles a night.

rip x

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Thanks everyone,
                Was very helpful can relate a lot to Bella, I usually get wasted on a Friday nite usually a bottle of wine sometimes more, always say i am going to only have a couple, but you know the story , sometimes if stressed it will happen more often. I hope i can be like you one day rip.
                ACCEPTANCE IS A POWERFUL THING

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Great topic!
                  :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Hi .its interesting to read what moderation is defined as by various people..health professionals class it as more than 2 standard drinks in a sitting equates to binge drinking!!Spoke to an accredited British dietician re this only this week and againits sticking to the 14 units spread over a week for us ladies......
                    thats only a botlle and a bit a week max of wine.These original recommendations were also based on lowe proof wines around 9% .not the stuff lots of us drink these days 11-13%.............my poor liver!!

oh well now we know what moderating is..pick a definition and lets have a go !!!

Regards Cassy

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Boy that is a tough question. It's kinda like what is Christianity. it's different for everyone; that is why there are hundreds of Christian denominations. Moderation is the same, what works for one will not for the other. As for myself I have gone from 3 bottles of wine a day to 1-2 glasses of wine a day streached out as spritzers. We each have to find our own way.
                      Smiles
                      Mar

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Moderation for me is not opening a second bottle......... of whatever it is I opened..........thankfully now it is 'just' wine instead of Voddy/Gin etc - Groan - I know that's not helpful, just how it is for me.

Lxx
                        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

I'm with Ripley,

Moderation for me for me is stopping when I want, versus stopping when the drink wants to!!

Kitty
                          Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                          Confucius

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Me too:goodjob:

I like to be able to enjoy a cold beer or two on the river, or a glass of wine with a nice dinner.

I feel like I'm moderating if I can have a few beers on a day off without having to drink the whole 12 pk,(like the old days) ...there by missing out on my time off...

It's nice to be able to enjoy a social function and not feel like an outcast... or "one of the "diseased":upset: sick ones...
                            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

WHAT IS MODERATE ANYWAY

Hi Bella

I am married to a moderate drinker as well.

We go out for dinner and share a bottle of wine over the meal. I then start work on talking her into sharing a second bottle.

If she wont have a second bottle I will just hit the spirits when I get home.

I am so over this behaviour!!!! I want to be the who just once says "I dont feel like another drink!"

Comment

Working...
                              X