topamax - Is it safe to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read many of your views on topamax - and am alarmed by how many of you are getting side effects. If my hands and feet started to tingle - this would alarm me into thinking the drugs are having effect on my heart! And what about losing your speech!
    I am seriously considering taking the medication - but am concerned for these side effects - can the drug be addictive - many of you seem to be on it for quite some time.
    It seems to be a potent drug - it's mainly suscribed for epileptic patients - so if I purchased of the internet (I cant of my gp) how much should I take?
    And should I take it if I am trying to get pregnant?
    Your comments would be most welcome.

Hi Moo,
    From what I have read most peoples side effects go away or reduce to comfortable levels. Some people just can't take it at all they are allergic. Its not addictive but you have to slowly increase your dosage to start taking it and need to do the same when coming off. The MWO book recommends starting at 25mg a day and increasing by 25mg a week till you get to a dose that works for you.
    I know two children with an epileptic mother who HAD to take meds through her pregnancy to stop herself fitting, both babies have developmental problems, so personally I wouldn't take topa if trying to get pregnant, especially not if not being followed by a doctor.
    In other circumstances I would try topa, I didn't as I found out I was pregnant.
    Suz
    Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Hi Moo,
      If you want to buy topa on the net then aclepsa is a good place to go to.
      http://www.aclepsa.com/topamax.shtml?id=6250
      Helen

Comment

Hi moo, I am a confirmed topa user and fan... the tingly sensation goes away, as does the word loss.

frankly it beats being a drop dead drunk any day...

Rip x

Comment

Working...
        X