• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Librium

o

Librium

Hi Starlight,
    My Doc prescribed me Librium when I was 16, I took it for several months and felt very spaced out. You can't drink with it. I remember having 2 glasses of white wine after work a week after stopping it and they had to virtually carry me out of the restaurant where I worked to get me home.
    I'm sure if its just for 7 days to help you quit the alcohol then it will be okay.
    Suz
    Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Librium

I don't know much about librium...

But sounds like it will be ok for a week, but is there much point of taking it unless you also quit the wine? Are you prepared to do that? And after the week is up, are you prepared to keep off it? Again, I wonder what the point is of this if you are not planning to give up. Are you prepared psychologically for that? Or will you just start your nightly drinking again. If so, the anxiety will come back. so what is the point?

I know someone else who posted on one of your other threads asked if your doctor is going to try you on a medication like campral. Seems to me there are some pieces missing here. What happens after the week? Are you going to get counselling and maybe a medication to help you continue?

Do you actually have an underlying anxiety disorder or is happy camper right that it is actually alcohol induced?

I think you might need a consultation with a psychiatrist and psychotherapist to take this further. Your doctor has given you a way to get through a week. In light of the fact that you were suffering from unbearable anxiety, he seems to have done the right thing short-term.

Did you check out those resources that some of the other members who suffer from anxiety posted? The members seem really willing to help others suffering from anxiety. Maybe you could send them a private message.

I might have suggested this to you before... There are also natural paths to take along with your doctor visits. You might want to see a dietician to optimize your diet for anxiety reduction and make sure you get lots of exercise.

Comment

Librium

Sorry for having short-comings.........

Here is what I am prepared to do:
        1) Have decided not to take the week-long prescription for librium, as have now done some serious research and find librium to be very addictive.
        2) Am going to ride out this particular panic attack phase, with my nightly wine, if I really can`t get by without that particular crutch at mo.
        3)Am going to use the books I got from the library today to `cure`(i.e. manage) my anxiety without medication, and ultimately without alcohol.
        4) Am going to begin to treat myself with great kindness, and really look after myself, through good nutrition, exercise, and a generous dollop of guilt-free `me time`.

Alcohol exacerbates my anxiety, yet is not the actual cause of it.
        Think the cause of my severe anxiety is that I have had rather a hard life(am not looking for sympathy-many others have had a much harder life). Just think that I was so busy caring for everyone else, that I forgot to care for me, and that`s how I became ill.
        Anxiety and panic attacks are like a living Hell, but I now take responsibility for my recovery from this. Starlight Impress

Comment

Librium

I have some experience working with people being treated with librium,on a short term
          basis it can be very successful.It is less addictive than diazepam another drug used in
          alcoholism.I would agree that it's worth looking at natural alternatives.I feel that anything
          that helps on a short term basis and under medical supervision is worth a try.
          Good luck.Paula.

Comment

Librium

Thanks Paula.
            I feel telling the doc about my drinking has made a difference to me, and it`s made me realise that I can either strive to help myself, which I think is certainly attainable, both for my alcohol dependence and my severe anxiety, or opt to go down the road of prescribed drugs.

Have decided to use natural methods, and am confident I can cure myself of anxiety, at least to the extent where I only experience the normal day-to-day anxieties that most people do.

So, am dealing with curing my anxiety first, alcohol dependence second.

Realise that I am actually ill, and not just sick with anxiety, so am going to be really kind to myself, and not be down-hearted or ashamed that tackling my alcoholism is going to be secondary in my case. Also, told my tee-total mum about the drink now, and she is currently my rock, thank God. Starlight Impress

Comment

Librium

I've been taking 10mg of Lexapro and it has helped tremendously with my anxiety. This in turn has helped me cut back on my drinking quite a bit. Other than feeling very tired the first week, I really have had no side affects. Just a thought. Good luck!

Julie

Comment

Librium

Librum is pretty much like Valium, but without the buzz, Valium gives you.
                Believe it or not, my doc used to prescribe it for my PMS, and it worked great.
                You will not become addicted on it after a week of taking it.
                Lexapo, is one of the best anti-depressants out there, because it has such few side effects.
                Meow-Meow
                MonaKitty

Comment

Librium

I was prescribed librium from my doc for a week also. The week of abstinence before I started Campral. I was to take 1 every 6 hours for 48 hrs, then 1 every 8 hrs. for 48 hours, 1 every 12 hrs./48hr, 1 x 24 hrs/48hrs and finally 1 x 48 hrs. I really helped me with anxiety and did not make me feel wierd. I did not drink with it though. Good luck to you.
                  mombytheocean

Comment

Librium

Star.............love your self....you are loveable......
                    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Working...
                    X