Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May Mod Squad

Hello, and Happy May Day!

I have read the last few posts in the April thread. Good for you and your daughter, -143! I so hope that all goes well. It is going to be a long haul, no doubt, but you obviously have all the love and strength you need in your own heart to see it through. Good luck!

Stewarts, my friend, I hope that today the weather is better and that some sunshine can come in and warm your soul. And my very firm conviction (too late for yesterday, darn it) is that when the weather is so gloomy that it makes one want to go home and retreat to the couch with a blanket and a good book, that is exactly what we should do. Take a sick day. Treat yourself. (By the way, I think you are spot-on about your comments that none of us has ever gone to one of the AF boards and lashed out at them, as they have come here and done to us. Perhaps our good examples will rub off on them.)

Eve, glad you are back in the fold. Keep us posted on how the grandbaby is doing!

Emmy, as I have said before, I so much love reading your posts about life down under. You make me smile with joy. I fantasize about running up to you at one of the festivals and saying, "Hey, Girlfriend! Recognize me?"

Lasha, how's things? How is that great dog of yours? The guesthouse that I plan on visiting someday?

My dear Crocus, I know how you are doing. Just to let everyone know, Crocus has taken a step away from the boards but is working hard, staying moderate, and all is pretty much okay in her world.

With luck, May will bring some happiness to all of us. I should tell you that it looks as if my husband is going to have to go in to the hospital, complications after his surgery almost three weeks ago. Keep your fingers crossed for us. Bad bad memories of that hospital...

To all our newbies, keep posting, let us get to know you, and keep up the good work. A life of moderate imbibing is not easy, it takes constant attention to not slip. But it is possible for many of us, and everyone here understands.

:l:h:l

May Mod Squad

NNG, great words to start May. I actually ended up going out last night and I'm glad I did. Even in the nasty rain, still in a suit. One of my Finnish hockey buddies wanted to watch Rangers/Flyers Game 7...knew there'd be wings and beer, but even he wrote, it will be a chill night. So went to the spot, it was about 10 black from my apt. I'm glad I did. We drank a little beer, had some wings and I went home.

I have to help my parents with the house in R.I. this weekend; and yes, it is still dreary here in NYC. I might actually leave work early and drive up there today. Any work I have tomorrow are calls I can do in the morning. So, I might take that advice.

That's great to hear about Crocus.

"The wicked flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion."
    Proverbs 28:1

Comment

May Mod Squad

NNG, I am so sorry to hear of your husband's difficulties. Sending strength and love. Thanks for update on Crocus. There are a few people MIA. Farfalla, Dancing Girl, and whatever happened to DipGal?
      Em, your intentions were good! Sorry for the bad 'next day'. You are most times doing quite well!
      Eve, was hoping you would chime in in response to -143. Similar situations. Hope that grandbaby is doing well!
      -143, hope some of the sadness has lifted. Looks like dd is taking some positive steps.
      Stewarts, going out with friends for a beer and wings....why not? We met up at club Tues night to wish a safe trip to friends traveling back to MN the next day. Won't see them until fall now.

Dressed to go do my workout and will update on my personal thread. Have a great 1st of May!

TMH
      The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

May Mod Squad

Happy May Day Everyone!!!! Well May is starting kind of bittersweet I'm still af for the week which is great!!!! But I only slept about 2 hours last night. I don't know if it's the no al or just everything that's going on. I think I'm feeling more positive about the new grand baby.... WOW that's the first time I said that!!!! It didn't feel too bad!!! I'm looking at it like God is increasing our family. This will be grand baby number 4! Although my grand daughter says that her mom has her little sister and little brother in her belly. Don't think we could handle that...... but twins are due in our family.

Well it's May!!!!! Let's get it started mod squad!!!!!

Comment

May Mod Squad

Sorry to hear that your hubby isn't feeling better yet nng!!! I will continue to pray for his speedy,complete and successful recovery!!!!

Comment

May Mod Squad

Well I slept a little better last night but was up around 4:30am.....I found out that the beta-blocker I'm on depletes melatonin and can cause insomia plus I'm perimenopausal which can cause insomia. Talking about a double whammy lol! So I guess the alcohol really does knock me unconscious!

I had my first two af days in a row in a lot of years! Next week I'm shooting for three! I feel like I can do it! Wow you couldn't have told me this was possible about 5 weeks ago! It's very challenging but now I know doable!

Have a great weekend modders!!!!

Comment

May Mod Squad

-143, congratulations! Steps in the right direction, yes? Hurray! You have lots of company here in the no-sleeping-department. Dang it.

So far so good, as my husband is not in the hospital. And I think things might be looking up.

Comment

May Mod Squad

I'm joining you,posted on monthly group but realised most people are here.
                Plan to focus in weight loss and two to three drinks Saturday and Friday if I feel like it.
                Having two beers tonight v cut
                one day at a time

Comment

May Mod Squad

Oops,with curry and body pump tomorrow,roller derby on Sunday, CBT counsellor recommend s I try middle ground with drinking.so here I am,look forward to meeting you all
                  one day at a time

Comment

May Mod Squad

Hi bear73 and :welcome:.

Per your CBT counselor, what exactly does middle ground mean? You peaked my curiosity.

I have been out of the loop a bit gang so wondering what happened with Crocus?

Update for us. We are seeing a tough love counselor who told us to start calling the police when teen does the wrong thing. Said they'll get so sick of being called he'll have a court date with the judge eventually. So, he has been truant from school and got grounded. Had to make up a class today so was told to walk home from school and he didn't. I called the police and reported him missing as well as truant from school. They will get over to the house eventually (as it's a non emergency) but we want to show him that we mean business. He is quite freaked and thinks I should cancel the call being he is now home but hubby says absolutely not. Feel bad we have to put our officers in the counselor role but am hoping it will make him learn we mean what we say!

:l
                    Eve11
                    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

May Mod Squad

Found your post bear73 so understand what you mean about the middle way. Yes, we do see many people completely failing with going 100% abstinent as well as seeing moderators posting that they don't do 100% with moderating the way they would like. So, it does become trial and error sometimes to see what works for people. A big cautionary thing with moderating is that when we reintroduce alcohol to our bodies, cravings continue, whereas when you completely abstain, many/most don't have that struggle of truly craving alcohol after a period of time. So, that is a big risk with moderating. I am the type of moderator who can do really well, have one or two and feel find and done, but other times (never know when that will be) I have to white knuckle it to not have more and at least one time a month I end up not keeping to my true goal of no more than 6 drinks in a week. I try to not drink on week nights (esp. work nights - only work 2 days a week though so some week nights are not work nights) but will drink at least on one week night here or there if I go to a business dinner or girl party where wine is served.

Again, welcome, and post here for support to try to attain your goals. Hopefully your counselor and you will be pleased with your results.

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

May Mod Squad

Hi eve, it's about not thinking in extremes,which is something I tend to do when depressed,he felt,and I wanted to try taking a moderation approach to alcohol,rather than I must quit and feeling like a total failure when I do drink.he pointed out I had gone from 30 to sometimes 60 units a week in twenties to early thirties to feeling I have a problem if I drink two drinks twice a week,he said that could be seen as progress rather than failure.

I'm really focused on weight loss and fitness and that's a big goal in itself,plus continuing with CBT exercises on my own as we have finished sessions now.

Good to be here,today I can have two drinks if I feel like it,plan to go to body pump this am,then collecting parcels,cat's ashes,poor baby died two weeks ago.Otherwise pottering with housework and hopefully watching game of thrones on download,maybe pub visit,not sure yet.
                        May make a Turkey chilli and have with bits and pieces for dinner.We had lovely curry last night and I had two beers,have a great weekend everyone.
                        one day at a time

Comment

May Mod Squad

Welcome, Bear! Always glad to have new folks. I am so sorry about your cat. Our critters are family, and it always hurts when we lose one. Blessings to you as you collect that particular package. :l

Eve, so sorry to hear about your news. Your son is lucky to have you. Keep up with the though love route, as quite obviously it is what he needs. I know it is heartbreaking for you, but you will be strong and you are such a good mom. Good luck, and please know that I am sending you prayers and thoughts for success.

And as to Crocus, I am sure she wouldn't mind if I told you she is doing well, working like a fiend, is remaining moderate, but has decided she needs to absent herself from the boards. She felt it was making her think too much about alcohol, when what she wanted was to not think about being moderate, just DO it. And so she is.

I hope that you all feel my response on the April mod squad board was appropriate.

Comment

May Mod Squad

nonamegirl;1656768 wrote: I hope that you all feel my response on the April mod squad board was appropriate.
                            Thanks NNG. It definitely was appropriate and I sent the reply to you over there to keep it easier for folks to understand if they wanted to peruse previous messages.

Have a great day everyone. On a personal note, we did call the police on son (who never ended up coming because it was a non emergency) but it taught him that we will call if he is not doing the right thing. He is going to go help his dad work today and his GF and baby came over last night so we ended up having a very peaceful evening. Have to say he is a very doting and affectionate father to the baby and I think and hope the baby will help him to mature into the young man we think he can be. We'll keep working it!

Eve11

Comment

May Mod Squad

Not so successful,three and a half pints and a kebab,ten units and about 2000 extra calories I didn't need!I've signed up to a drink tracker and target is no more than three units twice a week,this is a pint or large glass of wine.

I'm aiming to do better and hoping I don't throw up on anyone at roller derby training today
                              one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                              X