Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up coffee and sugar

Dear All,

I have been just over a year AF, a large part of me remaining AF is possible because I have finally accepted that i cannot moderate alcohol. I am now (after many decades) at peace with this.

However, I love coffee and chocolate. I have arthritis and thin bones and I know coffee is not advised for both conditions. Just like when I drunk alcohol I can have binges of coffee and sugar. Just spent a whole week eating loads of chocolate and feeling annoyed with myself for my lack of willpower. My arthritis has kicked off again, so I know what I have been doing is basically self harming.

I wish I could moderate with coffee and sugar, and sometimes I can but other times not.

Should I approach both substances the way I now do alcohol? None at all!

I think the answer is to stop, but to see this confirmed in print would help my resolve and my tendency to say 'f..k it when I come across temptation.

Also, with my health conditions it is vital that I preserve my joints and bones as much as I can. Sometimes though I choose to ignore this because I feel deprived if I cannot have coffee and cake. Of course I realise that this may all sound pathetic and not a real problem, but it taking up too much of my headspace at the moment.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Caro

Hi Caro. I think your back story is a lot like mine. I've just kicked caffeine - totally, no tea or anything - this last 6 weeks. And I think I will always struggle with sugar, particularly cake. I know that if I don't have either the aches are definitely less. And that damn combination of coffee + cake! I am finding it easier to say no to sweets if I don't have a coffee though.

I'm not an expert but would suggest a slow substitution rather than giving up cold turkey on the coffee at least. Maybe take out one coffee at a time, using a replacement. My tastes have changed remarkably and I'm enjoying dandelion tea, which has a coffee flavour.

And I'm always open to any advice from others about how to keep my sugar cravings in check!

Comment

myhappyplace;1668203 wrote: Hi Caro. I think your back story is a lot like mine. I've just kicked caffeine - totally, no tea or anything - this last 6 weeks. And I think I will always struggle with sugar, particularly cake. I know that if I don't have either the aches are definitely less. And that damn combination of coffee + cake! I am finding it easier to say no to sweets if I don't have a coffee though.

I'm not an expert but would suggest a slow substitution rather than giving up cold turkey on the coffee at least. Maybe take out one coffee at a time, using a replacement. My tastes have changed remarkably and I'm enjoying dandelion tea, which has a coffee flavour.

And I'm always open to any advice from others about how to keep my sugar cravings in check!
      This is an old chestnut Happs -but have you tried L-Glut powder in as shake or directly under the tongue - I do believe it works.
      I took some today and didn't have that unmerciful craving for something sweet after dinner -even when not hungry.

Comment

I've tried it for a stint Satz but had a bad reaction. Heart palps and the shakes. Really weird. So no go for me.

Comment

For me, sugar is like alcohol - when I don't have it, I don't want it but sadly, when I did have it ... So, I avoid it, including substitutes such as stevia, raw honey, etc. I've pretty much lost the taste for it and don't really like it anymore when I eat something sweet so as not to completely insult people after I've already turned down their gluten-containing and alcoholic offerings. Eating a little no longer makes me want more, thank goodness (NOT an experiment that I'll run with alcohol!!!),

I can't comment on caffeine - I really enjoy coffee.

Comment

My doc told me it is the sugars my body craves when I reach for a beer because it breaks down into sugars very fast. Sweetener substitutes do little for removing the underlying cravings so good for you not relying on them.
            Constant relapsing is soul destroying.
            I cherish my soul, it is the most important thing to me in the world. I cherish my soul even on th bad days. This is why I do not drink.

Comment

Hi roadside

My doc told me the same thing, sugar is part of the craving. Still Ill take the sugar right now

Comment

It's hard to get rid of craving for sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrylC24 View Post
                  It's hard to get rid of craving for sugar.
                  I took the same approach as no sugar, I just stopped eating it and after a few weeks the cravings stop too.
                  Yes, they pop up from time to time and yes, I have to remind myself 'no sugar, sugarplum' but I feel soooo much better it is worth the effort.
                  Rather like quitting alcohol for me.
                  (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise View Post
                    I took the same approach as no sugar, I just stopped eating it and after a few weeks the cravings stop too.
                    Yes, they pop up from time to time and yes, I have to remind myself 'no sugar, sugarplum' but I feel soooo much better it is worth the effort.
                    Rather like quitting alcohol for me.
                    That's great. Wish people are all like you having the courage to get rid of it.

Comment

Man, you guys are my inspiration, right now my morning coffee and my nightly dr pepper are keeping me sober. I know the soda especially is bad for me but considering I used to mix it with vodka and kill a few cans a night, at least I'm making progress. Any substitutes you guys find for both would be great.

Comment

Working...
                      X