X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Kefir ok on a paleo diet?

Dear All,

Any thoughts on Kefir milk drink?

I am trying to get calcium through food, not supplements, this is important for me because I have early stages osteoporosis. Kefir has a lot of calcium plus live cultures which I have read are good for general health.

However, I keep reading that diary is pro-inflammatory, so a bit confused. I would like to keep taking it as it is a quick meal on the go as well.

Does it strictly have to be taken on an empty stomach or can berries/kiwi fruit be added to it to make a breakfast?

Any feedback gratefully received.

Caro

Meant to say dairy!

Comment

I drink kefir every morning. I wanted to make my own since we get unpasteurized milk but I have had a terrible time getting kefir grains. So I buy organic kefir. I know a lot of Palo people (myself included)drink kefir. The enzymes help with digestion and they boost your gut health which in turns boosts your immune system and the absorption of calcium and other nutrients.

Comment

Caro,

It seems like Paleo is a pretty loosy-goosy term. What does it mean anyway? People in different parts of the world during that era surely ate different things. If dairy foods don't bother you, a fermented food such as kefir (preferably plain w/o added sugar) is a great choice. Have you read Chris Kresser's book, Personal Paleo Code? I completely agree with him that after a few basic principles of eliminating or minimizing sugar, grain, seed oils, and processed foods, there is tremendous variability among individuals in terms of what works best.

Enjoy you kefir!

Comment

Working...
        X