How long does this Take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long does this Take?

Hi everyone!!! I could really use some advice, or encouragement or something.. you all are such great people and I would love to be able to draw from your experiences...

One good note is that I find I tend to stay more happy now, I don't yell at my husband anymore for stupid things, I don't say mean things to him anymore.. but I still get on email or MSN and talk, talk, talk and probably say things I should not and I don't want that in my life anymore. That, among other things as well...

I am just so tired of craving alcohol. When does the feeling and wanting for it start to fade? How long were you AF before you felt the desire to drink lessen? I'm starting to get frustrated and angry at myself for this. I am on the supps as well, I would just love to hear that the light at the end of the tunnel is there, it's real and it's not a truck.

:thanks: to everyone!!

How long does this Take?

Hi GG,

I am taking campral so the physical cravings were gone in a few days, but the psycological ones took a whole lot longer. I kept thinking about drinking, and wanting to drink for quite a few months. In fact it would have been about 4-5 months before I got to the point where I went for days without "feeling" like a drink, even though I had no cravings.

It's really important to work out the difference between wanting and craving.

It's been 6 months (today! yay!) and I no longer feel or want a drink.

Hope this helps a bit. Stick with it :-)

Flip
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

How long does this Take?

I'd be interested in some long term input here as well...it has been 39 days AF for me now...39 days on Topa and about 60 days on the supps....cravings are pretty much in check but they do come and go and there are times that I'd just love to have a drink and I think, one or two drinks won't kill me.......

I'm not sure that I'll stay AF forever...just want to stay AF for awhile to keep things under total control...eventually I guess I'll have few drinks from time to time....I just don't want it to control me again.
      :boxer:Failure is NOT an option! :boxer:

Comment

How long does this Take?

Keep AF going as long as possible

I've tried the moderation route now several times. Starts out fine then you have one too many and all of a sudden your back in the sewer again. Just doesn't seem to work for me anyway. I'm sitting here as we speak with a terrible hangover................with a bottle of vodka at my side to help cure it. Once I feel better I'm dumping the remains and getting back on the program.
        Maybe you can do it. There are people out there that do. Wish you the Best!!!!

Comment

How long does this Take?

I did the 45 days AF for lent and towars the end ..no cravings..THE BIG MISTAKE FO ME ..was that i told myself i would and could moderate after getting that time under my belt.

to a point it has worked and i drink less often and less in quantity by far............but its a daily battle which isnt pleasant for me.i like the 5 weekdays i do AF but the honesty thats ok as i KNOW the plan is to moderate at weekends.

wish i could kick the whole alcohol thing into touch.....FEAROF THE UNKNOWN syops me

cassy

Comment

How long does this Take?

All I can say is topa has helped me so much. : )
            Gabby :flower:

Comment

How long does this Take?

Gabby if I may ask what dose of topa are you on? I leveled out at 200 which seemed to work but I know a lot of folks go up to 300...
              "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

How long does this Take?

It's been a little over 3 months for me now - and it's forever. When I did moderation, I used Topa and I do believe it helped at the time but I really wanted to stop drinking completely. I quit Topa and decided to become a non drinker. Sounds too easy, but that is exactly what I did. If you had asked me in years past if I could go a week or two weeks without drinking, the answer would have been no. But this time was so different. It is like I stepped into the body that was made for me. And the one made for me is a non drinker. I have always known deep in my soul that I would come to this place. When I awoke that morning in April, I looked at the clock and it read 4:16am. Instead of lying there and feeling regret from the previous night's drink, I laid there stairing at the clock, knowing that the red numbers lighting up the dark room would hold signifigance for me. It would be the time that I became a non drinker. I remember smiling as I felt a huge burden lifted from my shoulders. No more trying to moderate, no more regrets, no more worries. I literally felt free. I think the main reason it has been so easy to stop after all these years is that I do not feel like I have to try to become something that I am. I know this is hard to understand, especially for those struggling, like I did for so many years, but it's the only way I can explain this. I became a non drinker at that moment and now I'm just living the part. I am what I think I am.

Comment

How long does this Take?

Totally agree with you, I'mDone. A wise soul told me last year in Chat that it's really easy to have 0 or 10 drinks, much harder to have 1 or 2. I have repeatedly decided to quit and lasted anything from 2 days to 6 mths. Whenever I lasted over a month, I would mistakenly decide I had regained control over alcohol and could do mods. Big mistake! Now I'm just gonna quit. No more drink-counting, obsessing, waiting till after the next wedding or holiday. I feel very, very SAFE when I don't drink, very guilt-ridden and vulnerable when I do. It's the only thing in my life I'm ashamed about. Just stick with it, GG. Like I'mDone, I immediately wonder how alcohol ever got such a hold over me, when I mentally flick the switch off and walk away. Best of luck!

Comment

How long does this Take?

GG,
                    How long do you have ? The desire to drink really never goes away. The chemical dependency can with medication, but the mind is a funny thing. Right when you have everything under control...bam it gets you. You must be vigulent all your life, for there is no cure for alcholism. (All we can do is be in control). IAD:welcome:
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

How long does this Take?

GG,

Yes, the desire disappears over time. What I have noticed is that I needed to acquire the whole new lifestyle to support my sobriety. I'm about 2 months AF now, but I still occaionally get cravings, but I have realised they are not cravings for a drink itself, just desire to be out of my skin, not to be where I am and what I feel. I just want to be out of the situation and numb. And that is why I drank - I pushed my feelings away.

Hang on there, it gets better every day.

Otie

Comment

How long does this Take?

I stopped taking Campral three weeks ago, after 8 months continuous use and I have no craving for alcohol at all. None, zip yadda. I'm done with it.
                        It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

How long does this Take?

that's great news Flip. I really don't want to be on camral for the rest of my life, although while I need it that's fine.
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

How long does this Take?

I'm 47 days AF & haven't had a craving to the degree that I did last night since the first week I gave up alcohol. I had an AF party last night, & as I was getting ready for the guests, I really, really wanted a drink. It was an AF party for Alanon friends who don't drink; therefore, there was no booze in the house (thank God), but the craving definitely scared me. I'm fine today, but I associate getting ready for parties w/drinking, & I think that's why the craving got to me. In the past, I always drank, drank, drank as I was getting ready for parties. I'm having a cocktail party for our other crowd ( moderate drinkers) on Sept. 8th. Forewarned is to be forearmed. I'll just have to anticipate, because I do not intend to disrupt my AF streak. Mary
                            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

How long does this Take?

I'll start with some advice given to me in AA: If you have to control something, it's already out of control. Normal social drinkers don't have to think about how much they'll drink, plan their drinking, etc.

That said, shortly after 70 or so days the "feeling" to have a drink has virtually stopped. Now that I'm over 90 days, I feel that each day gets easier. It truly does. Alcohol is simply not an option anymore and once you accept that you'll find serenity, calmness and peace.

Comment

Working...
                              X