White Coat Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Coat Syndrome

Anyone ever have to deal with white coat syndrome?

After ending 2013 by cutting my smoking (though I still haven't finished that. Down to a cigar or two a day) and beginning my AF journey (with many a tumble so far) I ended up being put on meds for high bp back in March. (at the visit bp was 160/110) Since then I've been working with an acupuncturist and found that I was able to manage my bp without the meds since the beginning of May. This was managed through changes in my diet, exercise and herbs to detox the system and my bp was steadily between 120/70 - 130/80.

Followed up with my cardiologist the other day however and bp during the visit was 140/110! Course he told me to get back on the meds and offered to look into other meds if I didn't 'like' the ones I was on. (He just didn't get that I don't want any) Checked my bp a couple of hours later and it was once again 120/76 without the meds.

That 110 really worries me and I've been looking in the lit to see if there is anything about how extreme the diastolic can get with White Coat Syndrome. Only can find that systolic can vary by as much as 36 points and that diastolic is less. I had noticed something of the like when I started taking the meds (as that's when I started home monitoring) just don't remember the jump being that big.

Basically just debating how to approach this as I know AL and Nic are affecting blood pressure but also that the White Coat is too. Any suggestions on a plan moving forward?
    “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
    Newbies Nest Roll Call
    Toolbox
    Cattleman Cafe

White Coat Syndrome

Hi Orimus. Yes I've experienced this too. But not to that extreme. My bp is always lower at home testing. Being at a doctors surgery, waiting, it's noisy, you just want to get out do there: is stressful and will raise your BP.

My Dr. Sent me home with a 24 hr BP monitor which recorded my BP for that period of time. It came back very good. Might be worth a try.

Comment

White Coat Syndrome

Thanks Petrel. I do remember my gp mentioning that but the cardiologist just gave me more pills. Expedious. Been doing acupuncture and celery juice and last check was 118/79. Been debating about going back to the docs and if I do will definitely ask for the monitor.
      “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
      Newbies Nest Roll Call
      Toolbox
      Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Working...
      X