A Fitness Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Fitness Journal

I've been thinking of starting a journal here for awhile, to check in on a daily basis to track my "progress", but didn't trust myself to take it seriously. I still don't, but am going to go for it anyway. Like so many addicts, probably all of us, staying sober is much easier when we are taking care of our bodies. For me, exercise is usually equated with feeling good emotionally. If I'm doing some form of exercise, each and every day, and especially while eating properly and not drinking alcohol, I'm on the upswing. They all seems to go hand in hand, don't they? Go figure!! The tricky part with exercise, for me, is having the discipline-- hasn't been my strong point.
    I think part of my problem is that my goals have always been too high--I feel great and I overdue it, making plans that, when I look at them in hindsight, would be plans for serious athletes. Which I always wished I was/could be.
    So this time I will be more realistic, meaning I will have my hard workout days but ...
    1. I won't write up work out plans too far ahead of time. I will have a loose idea and then I will see how I'm feeling that day
    2. I will be more varied with the exercise I do
    3. If I'm not feeling great or am tired I will count the bike ride to school or the walk to work -- and if I'm holed up at home, I will at least walk around the block or stretch out on my yoga mat.

I will do some form of exercise each and every day and write it down here. My goal for myself for this month of July. Just to try it out and see if anything in my life changes.

A Fitness Journal

July 1st

The biggest challenge today was getting my butt back into the gym after a month of not being there. It's a small place and most of the people lifting there are quite serious and dedicated and I am by far the biggest flake. Who cares, right? I pay my dues, I can go or not go whenever I want or don't want! Like any one there gives a crap!!:H
    So I managed 50 minutes--light leg work out to get back in the swing and not hurt myself-plus bike ride to the gym and running lots of errands. I was definitely hungrier today than I have been for awhile and treated my thankful body to healthy, whole foods. My body just wants my mind to be on the right track and take care.

Comment

A Fitness Journal

Hi lifechanger,

I too want to join in. I have been acting like a lazy bum since I went sober. It's good to be a sober but No excuse to be lazy and lethargic. Then my stupid travelling which is also an excuse. I have also been eating and junking lot of food. It started out as a way to kill AL cravings but I need to get out of that as cravings are not there any more.

I also admire Petra who has been training for marathon since months now and will be going for a one soon.

Let's follow each other and become more fit !
      Rahul
      --------------------------------------------
      Rewiring my brain ... done ...
      Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
      Rebooting ... done ...
      Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

A Fitness Journal

July 2

Hi Rahul!!
        Good to hear from you--I have been following your sober journey and am very happy that you're doing so well! Definitely, let's follow eachother. I am also cutting out sugar and trying to eat healthy, whole foods. I know how difficult it is to be healthy while on the road-- how often are you travelling? What exercise do you enjoy while you are home? Look forward to hearing more from you.

Today, after a long, hard day at work, I decided to come home and do yoga instead of going to the gym. So it's an easy day today-- bike ride to and from work, yoga for 30 minutes and a walk to meet my friends for a healthy dinner! No sugar today! Pure willpower-- Very much a struggle right now, but doable!

Comment

A Fitness Journal

Hey, Rahul, I know you're really excited about the idea of giving up sugar, right ? I'm glad you think of me when you eat ice cream but I hope it's not because of guilt - I think whatever works for you to maintain your awesome sobriety is a good tool for you!

Comment

A Fitness Journal

July 3rd

Today I realised that until I stop working such long days, my exercise won't be so varied! Today I am counting my bike ride to and from work, 6 hours of running around, carrying heavy pots, cartons of produce, moving like a maniac to get lunch done by 1. Then running around town to meet people to get quotes for equipment for our new kitchen.
            I felt too exhausted to do much more physically. I'm not 25 anymore!
            So we'll see about tomorrow. Could be about the same until Sat., but that's ok.

Comment

A Fitness Journal

July 4th

Happy independence from alcohol day!!!
              I'm writing this on the 5th because I was too tired to write yesterday-- and no I didn't make it to the gym or to the track. I ran around cooking for 6 hours, then I road my bike across the city for a school picnic, and I walked a couple km to watch the World Cup (I pretended to be James Rodriguez, running and kicking. It was exhausting!!)

Comment

A Fitness Journal

Hey, LC

I wrote you you on the Loamers thread. You move A LOT!

Here is the truffle recipe:

Bring 1 cup cream to a simmer and remove from the heat.
                Put in 2 bags Early Grey tea and ~ 1 cup of coarsely chopped fresh mint.
                Cover and allow to steep for 15'.
                Strain out the solids.
                Stir in ~ 10 oz chopped dark chocolate (I usually use 2 bars of 88% and 1 bar of 100%) until it melts.
                Refrigerate until it can be formed into small balls. Roll in cacao powder. Freeze.

It is really hard to get it right to make the balls so I usually spread it in a small pan, refrigerate, cut small squares, and dust those in cacao powder.

I like them best straight out of the freezer.
                The original recipe called for basil instead of mint. Those are also good but don't trick my brain into thinking they are sweet.

Comment

A Fitness Journal

July 5th

I am writing again today for yesterday-- took a day off to be a couch potato and even ate a bit of junk food. Your recipe came about an hour too late, NS!
                  Looks delicious though and I look forward to trying it out this week.

Comment

A Fitness Journal

July 6th

Finally made it out for a run today. Getting to the track was like pulling teeth, but I did it by telling myself that, if when I got there I didn't feel like running, I could just come home.
                    It worked. I jogged 4 laps to warm up then did 3 laps of intervals-sprints and jogging, had a good stretch and that's IT for today! I made a delicious salad and decided that tomorrow I will be a bit more strict with my nutrition. I've been ok. but would like to lose a bit of fat-- so will give it a try..

Comment

A Fitness Journal

Hi Lifechange
                      Can I join you? Could use the accountability. I ended up drinking after 8 days last night and did not go for my planned run this morning. I am quite annoyed with myself. Drinking and exercise do not mix and I love being active. Hopefully we can keep each other accountable here.
                      Enjoy the day!
                      R4L
                      Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

A Fitness Journal

I would like to join, too! I quit drinking May 19th and have been trying to run or swim everyday. Yesterday I didn't make it to the gym because I got involved in things at home. I started cleaning out a 36 gal aquarium I have and my 4 year old grandson was helping so that turned into a 3 hour project with 2 trips to Petco!!!! But we had fun at it looks like a new aquarium now...

I'm going to the gym today for sure. I'll check back in later...

Don

Comment

A Fitness Journal

July 8th

Hi Running! I agree that exercise and drinking definitely don't fit together-- try not to beat yourself up--hop right back into the af game! Did you get out for a run today? Do you enjoy other types of exercise as well?

Hi Chief!! What kind of exercise do you enjoy? What are your goals?

I would love to have company. I have unfortunately not been as true to my plans of daily exercise as I wanted to be. With a tough work schedule and end of the school year responsibilities, I am TIRED!
                          I have a physically demanding job and ride my bike or walk everywhere-- so I am counting those things as "activities", but I would sure like to add more frequent jogging/running/swimming dates as well as trips to the gym. Tomorrow I am done with work at 2pm and will bring my gym clothes along!

Comment

A Fitness Journal

I went to the gym and ran 3 miles and then swam in the lap pool for 20 minutes then sat in the hot tub. The first 10 minutes of running sucked but then I got "in the zone" and the rest was pretty good. It was my first run in new shoes so it felt a little awkward.......gotta get those babies broke in.

I'm a little sore this evening but feel good. Glad I went....

Lifechange, I like to run and swim and lift some weights occasionally....nothing too serious. I just like to stay in shape.......I'm an old man (58)....lol

Don

Comment

A Fitness Journal

Hi Lifechange and Chief
                              I went to they gym for my 1 hour workout with the trainer. Had planned on a run with my group this evening but I am really tired so I am calling it an evening. I will get a run in for sure tomorrow.
                              I love to be active and enjoy running, biking, hiking, yoga and working out at the gym.
                              I have a personal trainer three days a week for an hour so that helps to keep me honest. I run or bike the other days. I just finished a 2 day 250 km fundraising ride and have a couple of other rides coming up.
                              I am also training for a Half Marathon in October so I had better get those feet moving.
                              I find that as long as I am signed up to do an event I will train. If I don't have a goal then forget it.
                              Just can't figure out why I can't stick to my goal when it comes to being AF!
                              Enjoy being active folks!
                              R4L
                              Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Working...
                              X