August Mod Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August Mod Squad

Well, here we are, in the Dog Days of summer. I used to absolutely HATE the beginning of August, when I was still teaching. Each year on the first of August, I would walk to school, walk into my classroom, sit down at my desk, then get up and walk home. My "Hi/Bye day" I called it. Then the next day I would go in and spend a couple hours starting to get my room set up for the year. Ack. So very glad I don't have to do that anymore! There are only a few things I miss about teaching.

Now, we are getting ready for a rummage sale. This will be the last one (three others before this one) selling the things from the dear old couple who built this house. I don't go to rummage sales myself, but I do enjoy having them. Still a week over a week away, so there is plenty of time yet.

Happy August, everyone! Stay safe on your travels, if traveling you do; stay strong in your moderation; enjoy each day of this beautiful life.

August Mod Squad

Going to hike the bluffs around a glacial lake today, then jump in !!

A year ago would've been full of alcohol before during and after, not today. This forum helps muchly to keep me on track

Best to all for a good month

Comment

August Mod Squad

BTW, never hurts to watch this sort of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUkbduSXggw

Comment

August Mod Squad

Hi everyone, I am doing well. Had a binge episode not long ago where I just really needed to step back and re-evaluate what I am doing. Absolutely HATE the way I feel when I overdo it. And want to set a good example to my sons and now grandson. Do not want to be the drinking nana watching the 8 month old. Good grief, that would be a mother's nightmare.

So, I have had only 2 drinks within the last week and it was a (one drink only) night the two nights that I drank. I have made a renewed commitment to myself (complete with journaling) that I will NOT have more than two in an evening and want to even work on only 1 drink with dinner and not my usual 2 (when we go out). We generally do not drink at home with dinner.

Will keep coming here to stay strong. And will keep posting my honesty if I am not. I know in the past there have been comments from others who don't moderate and that has kept the honesty hard. But, I need to be honest for me, and possibly let go of the concept that I can moderate if I really see myself not being able to do it. To honesty!

:l
        Eve11
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

August Mod Squad

Hey, Eve, always good to have you on the board. You keep us honest and keep us strong. Lovely to hear from you. Oddly, my husband and I rarely have a drink when we go out - it is only when we are in our own living room that we'll have a glass. That does make it sometimes harder to not have the third glass ... but I try to think of you all, and that helps. As I said in the July thread, moderation is going pretty well for me at the moment.

Guapo, the link you included is very good. I haven't watched the whole thing, but will when the household is awake and I have time. We had a friend, a successful lawyer, who did literally drink himself to death. His death was very messy, must have been very painful, and because his liver exploded, his best friend found him in a room full of blood. I try to think of that with some frequency, too, to keep myself on the straight and narrow.

There is nothing pretty about abuse of anything, whether it be alcohol, drugs, food or living beings. Each of these things is good in its own self - it is only when we abuse it that it becomes bad. Since we here are sensible and reasonable adults, it needs to be us in charge, and not the alcohol. I say that knowing full well that there will be abbers who say we are past that and cannot control it. But I can only speak for myself, not for them. And they can only speak for themselves and not for me.

Ah, well. Certainly got off on a dark topic this morning, didn't I? To make a change, I look outside my window. The sun is just coming over the mountain, three deer are walking across my yard, the trees and stream make a sound like heaven. Life is good. Why waste it?

Comment

August Mod Squad

Quotes of the day

"Proud People don't let a cheap toxin substitute for the real satisfaction they could otherwise get from good actions...."

"I went to rehab in wine country. Just to keep my options open."
            ?Robin Williams

Comment

August Mod Squad

Good morning, all.
              Well, in honor of Eve, I have to fess up. Last night I had way more to drink than I wanted to or should have had. I even forgot that I had already put the dog in her kennel crate for the night - talk about embarrassing. My husband had to convince me I had done it, and then I went downstairs to make sure. Oh, jimminy.

This is not how I view myself in moderation. On the nights I go to bed having had no glasses of wine I congratulate myself and say "See? Isn't this better? This feels just right." And then the next morning I say, "Yep. THIS is the way to wake up."

I know that since I have been so vocal in saying that the abbers are wrong, that some of us can moderate, that my posting this is giving them ammunition. And I can only say I deserve it. Bugger it. I honestly don't know if I can moderate. After last night I would have to say that it doesn't look likely.

So, I didn't drive. I didn't get sick. I didn't do anything that I would regret - except let myself and my husband down, and that is really sad to me.

I don't want to post on the other boards. I want to stay here with you all, because you feel like family to me. Thanks for letting me be honest, and thanks for being here. I have a bit of a headache this morning, but other than that it is all emotional pain, not physical. Certainly feel like a fool. But I have to be honest with you all or it isn't right. Thanks for being here.

Comment

August Mod Squad

Isn't it like over eating.

Everybody does that sometimes, It doesn't sound like a real big deal. It's when you do it all the time that it s a problem.

Your posts are great, please stick around.

DW and I attended a neighbor's 50th birthday party last night, and I had a Mojito and a glass of wine, but very few people were really drinking much, and I thought what's the point.

So I left what was left in the glass of wine on the porch overnight, and this morning it was stale, and had a bug in it. I figured that might put the alcohol in a little different light

And it did!

Comment

August Mod Squad

Thanks, Guapo. I appreciate your kind words. And I will definitely stick around!

I love the view of you leaving a glass of wine on the porch overnight, and finding a bug in it the next morning. Perfect! You have definitely slain your own demon if you can do that, my friend.

I am glad it is a new day. This will be a great week - lots of hard work, but lots of fun, too. Take care, everyone, and be strong.

Comment

August Mod Squad

I think binging is easy to fall into in the summer. When you're enjoying yourself and the sun is elevating your vitamin A, things seem like they can't go wrong.

It's good to be prepared. For example, I had a little bit of binge issue, of course it involved a woman, most of mine usually do, because I realized, with me, lots of time AL + fun girl = sex, which it of course did in this case, and it was one of my buddy's little sister's friends, well they are not that little anymore at 29. Butttt...I also noticed something from that night too about me mood.

Now, first, we had a great time and we did call the night early, like very early, as it was an afternoon thing and AL was out of the picture for us at her place, where I stayed over.

Two things happened, one the bartender gave us multiple shots of whiskey we didn't ask for, and like a moron, I drank them, which I never do. Second, which I just realized today, I was heading out there, I had a low mood as I was heading out to Brooklyn that day. I was having a low mood all weekend when I was up in Rhode Island. When I got back to NYC, early, because the weather was crappy in New England, I almost bailed on this girl, because of low mood, but I forced myself to go out, which was the right thing to do, but I should've been aware; but low mood will bring defenses down.

The only consequence I had was around 3am the anxiety from the hard AL kicked in. I drove back to Manhattan around 6am, chilled at my place for about an hour and got ready for work. She texted me that she was sorry I didn't get a good night sleep, but thanks for a "great date." I texted back, "nonsense, thank you for having me over and you have a comfy bed." Then I did something I never did before, I actually came clean. Oh, she had mentioned, jovially, that my nightly waterbreaks disrupted her sleep (that was the dehydration), so I told her, "I don't drink much hard alcohol, actually practically nil, because it gives me anxiety. That's what happened around 3am or so, the anxiety started kicking in, that's all, not your fault, it was me being stupid, I should've turned those shots away."

She responded with, "Why didn't you tell me, I would've rubbed your back or something....no shots next time then." I responded with, "I wanted you to rest....and yes, now you know."

So, my "consequence" was a little lack luster work day. Of course my mood was shot all day, but I knew that was going to happen...I mean what really happened? I had fun with a 29 year old....I know she had an awesome time! LOL

My next story, has to do with a friend of mine. Ok, so I was dragging somewhat yesterday and when I got home, I ordered in and crashed! This morning I see some messages, FB messages, by the way, from one of my Finnish buddies, apparently he wanted to get together last night, it had been awhile...when I didn't respond, because I was checking my FB messages, he responded with, "Are you an f#$#n PU##$! I asked you a simple question and you have no balls to respond?" then the next message was "Go F@$# yourself" then his next message was "I delete people that have no balls from anymore contact"

???

Ihad his cell phone number, which he should've used mine if he wanted a quick response, I was like, "Buddy...then briefly explained I was shot after work and crashed and just got his messages. I actually apologized,even thought I didn't do anything, and told him I'd definitely be up for grabbing some beers soon and I hope he re-instates me.... why bringing up this story? I am sure he was wasted or at the very least highly buzzed. Am I mad? No, I actually laughed when I read it, but honestly, I hope this guy doesn't cut off a good friendship over something so stupid...

j.

Comment

August Mod Squad

Morning, all.
                      Stewarts, good luck with this new lady. She sounds very sweet, and I know she is not THAT much younger than you. Not as if you are robbing the cradle here. A perfect age difference, in fact. I will keep my fingers crossed, as it might just be the one you are waiting for. I know "she" is out there someplace. And you are very big hearted about the jerk on fb. That is one of the reasons I don't even have a fb presence anymore.

I am doing well this week. We had my brother and sister-in-law over for dinner last night, for some food that my brother and I remember from our childhood. I had gotten about an hour's sleep the night before, so was dragging, but all turned out well. Food was good, company fun, and my sister-in-law enjoyed and then took away the last bottle of wine in the house. I didn't feel too left out at all, not drinking. After no sleep the night before, lots of cooking during the day, I'd have been out in the lawn chair with even one. This way I got to enjoy the whole evening, and slept like a log until 5:30 this morning.

Comment

August Mod Squad

Hey all, thanks NNG, we shall see.....

Oh, as for my buddy, all is good. It was what I thought. He was WASTED! And angry...bad combo. He felt extremely bad about the whole thing. He had a rough day and unfortunately took it out on me. I'm actually ok with it, for real, I told him not to sweat it, we'll hang out soon and I figured it was something like that.

Anyway...other than that... all is good... :-)

j.

Comment

August Mod Squad

Happy Weekend, everyone.
                          We are having a yard sale today (tag sale, rummage sale, garage sale, name changes with part of the country) and will be very glad when it is over. Should be fun, though!

Today marks day 7 for me in my new plan. So far, all is well, and I am happy. I haven't had any cravings, only the odd moment of nostalgia.

Have fun and stay strong!

Comment

August Mod Squad

Hey, NNG, what's the new plan? You sound pleased. How's the training going?

Well, August is our birthday month. Celebrated dh bd last Wed. Then last night we went to restaurant where they offer you a free entree during your b.d. Month. Saw some friends who invited us to sit with them. They were sharing a bottle of red. We ordered a glass. Talking, enjoying ourselves, ordered another glass. And then on way out ran into some other people and ended up having that 3rd glass. Ugh! It's so true how good intentions go out the window once the alcohol is on board.

Will go over to fitness center and walk/run this a.m. Want to get well hydrated today and play golf tomorrow feeling great. Played on Thursday hungover after b.d. Party. Not pretty. Next Sat is mine. We will be playing our 2nd round in Survivor Championship. Need to make a plan on how to celebrate hopefully another win and my b.d. sensibly! And then I'm sure we will go back to restaurant later in month to get my free dinner. Ok, 1 too many, mark it and move on.

Off to FC.

TMH
                            The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

August Mod Squad

HI, TMH! How was the birthday? I hope it was wonderful, as you certainly deserve the best.

We are back in town. Spent several days painting at our lake place, continuing to spruce it up, as it is on the market. I cry every time I leave there, as I want to keep it so very badly. I was raised there, and cannot imagine it not being a part of my life. So very sad. Damn it! It is a family place, and my siblings and I just can't seem to work together to hold it, and my husband and I can't afford it on our own. I guess I have to realize how incredibly lucky I have been to have it for as long as I have, and move on. Nothing perfect lasts forever.

We have had a very busy summer, lots of work, quite a bit of fun, still projects on the forefront. There is starting to be a hint of fall in the air in the mornings, and I look forward to a calming of life.

Is everyone away for August? Not much going on here on our own board.

Comment

Working...
                              X