Weight Watchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight Watchers

How much overweight do you have to be to attend the group meetings?
    And is it expensive to belong?
    I understand they are all privately owned?
    Barbi, I know you lost lots of pounds in that program.
    Meow-Meow
    MonaKitty

Weight Watchers

Weight Watchers of Arizona is a privately owned franchise. I also happen to work for them. I don't know where there would be one by you but I can do some research if you would like. You need to lose at least five pounds to become a lifetime member. To become a lifetime member, you get to your goal weight, which is based on a body mass index (BMI) of 20 to 25. You choose your goal weight in that range. Then you maintain it for six weeks by adding more food so that you stop gaining and stop losing. After that, you attend a meeting for at least once a month and need to be within two pounds of your goal weight - then you are free of charge - otherwise the fee is $13 in the state of Arizona.

PM me if you need any additional information - it's one of my favorite topics.

Comment

Weight Watchers

Thanks for the information Barbi.
      I thought you had to be 20 plus pounds overweight.
      I do think there is a group in my area.
      I'll pm you for more info.
      Meow-Meow
      MonaKitty

Comment

Weight Watchers

Barbi, what does Weight Watchers say about alcohol? Is it assigned points like other foods?
        Meow-Meow
        MonaKitty

Comment

Weight Watchers

Mona,

Now that last question really cuts to the chase! I am interested in the answer also.

xo

Comment

Weight Watchers

I have heard a glass of wine is two points (for a small glass which I do not know what that is! ) but you are not allowed a whole lot of points so that eats up quite a few. Barb would know more.......I just like thinking I am an expert on everything.
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Weight Watchers

Now that is the truth from lushy if I ever heard it!!! LOL

Comment

Weight Watchers

So, if you drink a bottle of wine, you use up all of your points?
                Barbi, where are you darling...we need your expert opinion here.
                Meow-Meow
                MonaKitty

Comment

Weight Watchers

Truth is Duck, I AM an expert on everything. I just try to downplay it here.
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Weight Watchers

Barbi,
                    Where are you?
                    Did the Arizona Sun get ya?
                    I want your expert opinion on the wine in weight watchers, and am too lazy to pm you.
                    Meow-Meow
                    MonaKitty

Comment

Weight Watchers

When I did ww, wine was 2 points per glass-**5** glasses per bottle. 1 bottle=10 points. At the time I only had 22 points per day...not much room for any food For those that can drink only 1 glass or so every now and then, it probably fits in fine. But then again, if I only drank 1 glass every now and then, I would have never needed ww:H
                      Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Weight Watchers

Just remember, glasses are not all created equal! as i remember a tiny glass of wine is two points!!! a normal glass for people like us may amount to a lot more.

Let's say you get 22 points a day (that is average), plus 35 bonus points you sprinkle throughout the week. (The more weight you have the more points you get)

and lets say that you drink a sixpack of beer which as I remember is 6 X 3 or 18 points. you can take it out of your daily points or your weekly allowance.

you need to have a goal weight that is in accordance with the BMI tables.

If you haven't done Weight Watchers before, definitely worth doing. It is a HUGE eye opener about the amount of calories in food and if you follow the program, you do lose. It gave me a huge boost to know I could control my weight in that way.

having said that the calorie limits are too low in my opinion. I routinely cheated, i probably had more like 30 a day, when i was supposed to have 22, and lost weight.

i think a point is roughly 50-60 calories.

and you can earn points through exercise.

Comment

Weight Watchers

Sorry - I've been in client meetings all week and barely had time to check emails.

Nancy, that's right. 5 oz is technically a glass of wine or two points. Since I don't drink wine, I don't know how many you get out of a bottle, so I'll take your word for it.

When calculating points, fat and fiber also come into consideration, but that has nothing to do with booze, so you can figure anything less than 70 is a point, anything less than 120 is two points. We have a gadget that actually does the figuring.

5 oz wine - 2 points
                          12 oz light beer - 2 points
                          12 oz regular beer - 3 points
                          1 1/2 oz of any regular booze (shot of scotch, rum, etc) - 2 points
                          1 1/2 oz of sweet shot of schnapps - 4 points
                          4 oz margarita - 5 points

That will give you a general idea of what you are consuming point (calorie) wise.

Barb

Comment

Weight Watchers

That is also true that you can earn points exercising but there's a couple of points I want to make on that.

It takes me almost an hour to earn 4 or 5 points of activity points. It takes me less than a few minutes to eat them.

Also if you trying to lose weight, I would caution you to think long and hard before trading activity points for food. You've just lost all of the weight loss benefits for a lot of hard work. It is an individual decision, though.

Comment

Weight Watchers

By my calculations a bottle of wine is 13 points; a 750 ml. bottle is 33 oz. I was in WW for a couple years and would always try to calculate my wine ahead of time...been thinking about returning, but would need to be AF for a while, just to have more food fuel.
                              "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X