Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please!

I am new over here in the exercise board and need some advise. .....I have been walking/running at least 5 days a week for 1 month now. I started at 2 miles and I am up to 5.2 miles a day. I am eating sensibly and cheat but, not that much. I definately am not starving myself. But......I have only lost 4 lousy pounds!!! I know muscle weighs more than fat but, this is cardio not weight training. I have gained some muscle mass in my legs but the tummy is still there! Are the pounds going to suddenly shed soon or do I need to change my program? Again 1 MONTH and 4 POUNDS!
    Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Help Please!

How much water are you drinking? Oddly enough, not drinking enough water can lead to water retention. Also, alcohol REALLY slows down your metabolic rate so it might take a bit to jazz it back up. I suggest adding some weight training to your routine to build lean muscle mass and raise your basal metabolic rate.
    Suddenly I see
    This is what I want to be
    suddenly I see
    Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

Help Please!

I agree with Lorelei, but 4 pounds off is better than 4 on.
      Good luck.Paula.

Comment

Help Please!

PP, I would encourage you to start lifting weights. I walked a lake near my house every day for a year, no matter what the weather, and I did not lose a pound. When I started lifting weights I lost 30. Cardio is great for the mood, but weights is best for changing your body shape, keeping you consistently burning more calories all day, and keeping your bones strong which we as women need. I think you are doing amazing though. 5 miles is a lot!!! I go to a trainer who follows the idea outlined in a book called "The Power of Ten". You might want to check it out.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Help Please!

I don't drink sodas and drink 4-5 glasses of water or crystal lite a day. My alcohol consumption is within moderation. From what I have been reading I need to incorporate weights into my routine. Does anyone have a basic plan / web site? I have hand weights up to 15 pounds to use. Lush, does the "Power of Ten" give me a basic routine?

Thank you for all your help.
          Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Help Please!

Yes, it does give a workout in there. You might also check to see if there is a trainer in your area that specializes in it. The idea behind it is you lift very heavy weights at a slow pace for a shorter number of reps. Sound strange but it works. Otherwise any type of weight lifting is good......
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Help Please!

I'd like to add also that you should consider using a good old fashion tape measure to slowly see how your body is changing from having soft fat to having toned tighter muscle.. Yes, muscle is gonna weigh more and to be honest I'd like to see people lose 4 lbs a month while working out and watching their diet... That is 4 honest to goodness pounds of fat Hon !! Do not be discouraged please you are doing so great !!! With some light weights you're gonna be ONE HOT # !! ~Niblet~ please give yourself a pat on the back for me cause I can't reach !! Tee!! Heee!!!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Help Please!

It really comes down to expending more calories than you are taking in. So, you need to burn roughly 3,500 more calories than you take in to lose a pound. It can be cardio, it can be weights, in can be a mixture of both - you just need to find what works the best for you.

One way to monitor your intake is to, for one week, write down what and how much you are eating, and then total the calories. You might be surprised to see how much even a little cheating can make. At that point, you can either dial down the calories or dial up the exercise (or both)!
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Help Please!

I work a lot with weights. You can run all you want to burn the fat, but the more muscle mass you have the more fat you will burn. I've burned alot by carrying my babe up flights of stairs in her stroller.. ive been told i am freakishly strong.

Seriously though, I put on 50lbs when I was pregnant. I went from 125 to pushing 180. I did a lot of Taekwondo in Korea before that and I went from a size 8 to a 4. I started doing that again and watching what I eat. If I have a craving I still do it, I always give in, but I only take a bit or two instead of the whole thing. I am now happy with my weight and just working on the toning..

It takes time.. sadly. I would love to blink my eyes and look like what I dreamed I would be.

Comment

Help Please!

And I don't have a scale..no matter how good you look if you jump that scale you get depressed. I will never own one.

Comment

Help Please!

4 POUNDS IS WONDERFUL!!!

If that is four pounds of fat, then you are right on track, you can safely lose 1-2 lbs a week, and you have tones up your legs, so you sound to be right on track to me. If you had lost 5 pounds one week, trust me, the next week or the week after it would be back because it would not be fat loss, slow--gradual wieght loss is a good sign you are losing the right type of wieght...if you stop losing wieght, try switching up your routine to give it a jump start.
                      It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                      James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Help Please!

Lots of good advise here, PP. I would add more water - you need at least eight glasses a day. And make sure you are getting enough fiber in the form of whole grains and veggies. The "system" has to be working right in order to lose weight.

AA's advise was very good about keeping track of what you eat - a little "cheating" goes a long way in screwing up our weight loss efforts.

That being said - four pounds is an awesome start - keep up the good work!

Barb

Comment

Help Please!

I agree with all the posts here.

4 pounds is great! you should aim for a further pound a week.

It's true that you might not be aware of how many calories you are really eating. Weight Watchers is great for increasing awareness of calories in food. I remember once I was on the program and I wasn't counting the jam on my bread every morning, figuring, no big deal, no fat! Well I was having way too much of it!

Also, check your medications and see if there are any weight gain side effects. We just chatted about this on the Weight Watchers threads. Some antidepressants cause weight gain Boo hoo.

and remember, think about how you fit into clothes rather than the amount on the scale.
                          i know from personal experience that you can diet and look much better with no change on the scale.

with respect to exercise, I think walking 15 mins a day here and there (eg four times a day for 15 mins) can make a big difference...

good luck!

i am also struggling with this.

Comment

Help Please!

Thanks, Nancy, I thought I killed another thread:H

Another thing to keep in mind. Where would you be if you had not been doing what you had been doing? You would probably weigh more, not less.

Comment

Working...
                            X