Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gastric Bypass Surgery, anyone?

Here's another confession ---

I had gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago. Anyone else?

No, but I know lots of people who have had the surgery with awesome results. Are you happy with your results? I went to a medical conferance last year. They were talking about the future of medicine. The speaker said, gastric bypass was going to be the only real effective way, besides weight watchers for obese people to shed large amounts of pounds. Also people with sleep disorders have extreme difficulties with wieght gain. Lack of sleep increaases the apetite. Amazing, huh?
    Meow-Meow
    MonaKitty

Comment

Yes, I am extremely happy --- changed my life! I lost 140lbs originally and got to a size 10 --- sometimes 6 or 8. Unfortunately, I am an addictive person, so when I didn't have food, I started drinking more. For a couple of years, it was still fine and I reached my lowest weight. But now, at 46, while drinking more and more, I have gained back 30 lbs and I am disgusted --- so I drink more!!!!

Comment

Yeah and booze has all those empty calories.
        Have you tried weight watchers?
        Can you pretty much eat normally now?
        Meow-Meow
        MonaKitty

Comment

Hi PinkLady. . . Congratulations on your amazing weight loss! I saw an Oprah recently that had Carnie Wilson on. She also had gastric bypass and then became alcoholic. Not surprsingly, it is easy to trade on addiction for another. She also gained weight due to the alcohol. I think she also said alcohol enters the blood stream very quickly after having gastric bypass, increasing it's addictive potential. Just thought you'd like to know you're not alone. . . I think a lot of gastric bypass patients are suffering from this.

Comment

Me, too.

I had gastric bypass surgery 2.5 years ago.

I lost down to 145 lbs from 285. I feel great about that.

However, it kicked my "problem drinking" up to "alcoholism," so now I am fighting another addiction.

Hey, took care of one, now on to another one.

I am really going to try to make my next addiction a good one, like exercise, or studying, or knitting. Something not quite to damaging as over eating and alcohol. :H
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Just found out a couple of weeks ago my mom has been drinking a bottle of wine a day to "get through the evening' She was never a big drinker, probably drank less than everyone in my family, but she had gastric bypass about 2 1/2 years ago, so maybe thats what it was, the trading of an addiction. I have traded my alcohol addiction for a love of eating everything, thankfully i run a lot, I would be HUGE if I didnt.
              It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
              James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Scary link of now alcoholic gastric bypass patients

CalorieLab Calorie Counter News ? Bariatric surgery trades obesity for alcoholism
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

yup thats me. had Bypass 4.5 years ago and most certainly traded eating with alcohol.. i am now a full fledge alcoholic and i hate it. I have gained back 50 LBS and i am sick with myself. but when i get down on myself i drink and drink. its awful.. i am starting on antabuse. I am convinced it will work.
                  caper
                  AF since Sept 2013...
                  :alf:

Comment

yep, me too. traded foodism for alcoholism.
                    The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

Yes...I also had Gastric bypass surgery. I had my surgery in 2003 I lost 100lbs. I began drinking wine at first then Vodka. I have gained back 60 pounds.. I am dieting now, but if I don't get my drinking under control I will not lose the weight again!!! Very frustrating..

Comment

Hi KansasGirl,

I, too, had GB.

I, too, traded food addiction for alcoholism. It was a quick switch, too.

:welcome:

I have gained back 30 lbs of my over 100 lbs. I, too, am dieting now.

I, too, must quit drinking to lose the weight.

Mostly, I must quit drinking so I don't die.

I am glad you are here and I hope you poke around, find some threads that help and know we can do this!!

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

PinkLady;145331 wrote: Here's another confession ---

I had gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago. Anyone else?
                          Hi Pink Lady. l too had one 5 years ago

Comment

Hi, jojo,

:welcome:

Did you become and alcoholic after the GB?

I did.

Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I was considered lightweight for bypass-- needing to lose less than 100. I lost 80, when from size 22 to an 8, but have regained 15 due to doubling what I drink. It is just in last few months that I wake up at 3 pm and drink myself back to sleep. I leave work and go have a few mid day. Today I got the shipment of stuff from this site. Just listened to first two CDs, took all the supplements. Here I go!

Comment

Working...
                              X