Reading Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Again!

Hi guys, I'm on my 39th AF day and have found over the last 6 weeks I am now able to read again!!! I've read Allen Carr's book, Augustus Burrough's "Dry", Beauchamp Colclough'"s "Effective way to stop drinking" and Caroline Knapp's "Love Story" all to keep me motivated through those early days. I'm now reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini who wrote The Kite Runner - which I loved, and I can tell this book is going to be great, really enjoying it! Janice
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Reading Again!

I haven't read "dry" - can you give me a review? :-)

I've read all the others though!
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Reading Again!

Flip, you must get Dry. My all-time favorite book. Very funny!! About a guy who goes through rehab. Highly recommend.
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Reading Again!

I saw his film, "Running with Scissors" a few weeks ago, very confronting in a hilarious kind of way.
        It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Reading Again!

Hi Janice

Nice to see you are reading again. you made me want to check out Kite Runner, which I have never read...

Comment

Reading Again!

Janice, congrats on 39 days! I mean it, that is huge. I just got Allen Carr's book from amazon so hope to really dive into it this weekend. Flip, you have to read Dry, that was the first Augustin book I read, then went on to Magical Thinking, and rented the movie Running with Scissors. As you can see how now I am a big fan! :H
            The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Reading Again!

Dry??

The guy who wrote Running with Scissors wrote a book about rehab?

I need to get that.

Running With Scissors
              was for me one of the most poignantly funny/sad books I have ever read. My soul ached for that little boy through the entire book. (I refuse to see the movie because the book moved me so much.)

Hmm. Wonder why he grew up with an addiction problem??!!

Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Reading Again!

Cindi if you liked Running you will love Dry. I could not get through Running as I found it too disturbing. So sad that someone could have a childhood like that. Dry is a much lighter look at his addiction, and oh so funny.
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Reading Again!

Auguston Burroughs

I also LOVED "Running with Scissors" and "Dry". He is an amazing and hilarious writer with a thoughtful insight into addiction. I first saw "Scissors" before reading the book and then moved onto "Dry". Would highly recommend both, although I can see how the movie could be disturbing to some; my husband actually thought it was a sad movie. I thought it was a story of redemption. Burroughs had an unimaginable childhood, battled adult alcohol addiction but managed to turn his life around.

"Dry" is a great read and an inspiring one!

Comment

Reading Again!

Hi Janice and congrats on 39 days.

I'm reading again too, it's fabulous. I love to read in bed and that's impossible if I've been drinking as I just pass out!

Dry was a great read and I liked running with scissors too, I will try and rent it soon.

I like Kathy Reich's books too her character is a recovering alcoholic (got a feeling Kathy might be aswell in real life) so her books are kind of "safe" to read.

Kitty
                    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                    Confucius

Comment

Reading Again!

Hi
                      I thought 'Dry' was stunning book and really motivating as well as a fabulous read. Struggled with 'running with scissors' and couldn't finish it. Kite Runner was probably my favourite book of the year, but i always need a motivational book on the go as well.To keep me on the straight and narrow.
                      Presently reading 'Turnabout' by Jean Fitzgerald ( I think) she founded Women for Sobriety. haven't yet reached her treatment modalites, boy was she a bad alcoholic though!!! a turps and listerine drinker!!
                      Jane :heart:

Comment

Working...
                      X