14 MONTHS AF!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 MONTHS AF!!!

[I also posted this on General Discussion-....but all you long-term Abbers are my peeps!]

Hello All—

I haven’t posted in many months but I pop in now and then… I am moved to see how many people are benefiting from this amazing site. I don’t know most of you (hello to those I do!)—but I DO know what you’re all dealing with because it’s my story too….

I just want to let you know that there really IS hope! Today I am celebrating 14 MONTHS AF!!! I first visited the former version of this site in April 2006 —right after I’d spent a couple of weeks in rehab. I had been drinking for 10 years AFTER I had been AF for 11 years….yeah…I thought I could moderate after 11 years and I ended up drinking like a fish for 10 more years.

BUT—here I am now…AF and feeling more than okay. I achieved the goal I set a year ago—I graduated from seminary!!

Let me share a little story:
    For a year our fridge has featured this silly little crayon drawing of “where I see myself a year from now” that I had to do in rehab. I imagined where I hoped to be and drew a picture of the grounds of my seminary populated with little stick “graduates” and entitled it “Graduation Day 2007.” Well, on May 18th 2007, I carried it with me when I actually graduated!! The whole thing looked remarkably like my scribbled drawing come to life! You CAN manifest your dreams!

Well, I just want to share this not only because I’m pleased with myself (and I am!) but also because I am so grateful to RJ and all the folks I “met” here and, most of all, to encourage all of you who are here now and struggling or just starting out and feeling anxious and afraid….

Dealing with our drinking does mean being committed to make big changes in our lives—basically giving up the idea that the way we are drinking is “okay.” I can’t believe that I actually had convinced myself that it was okay to drink around the clock—sometimes 3-4 bottles of wine, supplemented with a pint or more of vodka….I mean, I had to have a slug of wine/beer/vodka when I got up…I sometimes got up in the night to drink…I couldn’t even go a few hours without doing something to maintain my blood alcohol level. Odd thing is that for the past ten years I was rarely visibly drunk—I was just never, ever completely sober….but I was depressed, anxious and suicidal…I spent days laying in bed wondering how I was possibly going to get through the rest of my life…

Anyway, good people, keep on keepin on—it is so totally worth it! My life has changed in so many positive ways since last year….my relationship with my beloved partner of 15+ years is totally revived, I’ve lost about 20 lbs (many more to go…), my blood pressure is greatly improved and I’m no longer diagnosed as being diabetic….AND I’ve finally got my M.Div (Masters in Divinity/Theology) and I’m on the road to ordination! Quite obviously, my ministry will be with those who have suffered and are suffering with this whole alcohol/drug thing….

Congratulations to everyone who is here—YOU CAN DO IT!
    :h
    Best, susan
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Well Sujul, what a fantastic story yours is!! I am so happy for you. I hope you are very, very proud of yourself because it is not easy is it. Life can change if we can all just believe in ourselves. Congratulations to you Sujul. Bella xxx

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Yeppers.....so nice to see you Susan. Glad to see all your success.
      Big hugs...
      Gabby :flower:

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Thanks, Bella! Yes, we can definitely transform our lives...I believe it's about being ready to make the committment to do so...

And, Gabs! I congratulated you on your year AF on the General Discussion thread...but you deserve endless congrats and even more endless hugs! :l :l :l

On the other thread I said I would be here more often, so I'll see ya around, okay?! Mostly, as Gabby and others can testify, I pontificate a lot--but, hey, I finally graduated from seminary so I guess that's my natural state!

:h
        susan

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Susan, nice to see you again. What an incredibly inspirational story! Thanks for that. I hope you will come around here more often. Congratulations on everything!
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Thanks, Lushy! :l

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

And thanks Susan to you.
              Gabby :flower:

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Not quite convincing myself...

A mere 3 days AF and I'm not sure I quite believe myself when I say I've stopped drinking, but after 35 years of this madness, I suppose that's not surprising. I'm really glad I read your story Sujul. Day at a time, and believing that it's worth it I suppose. Oh, brave new world. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU! Thanks xx:thanks:

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Thanks so much Eyes!

Just a reminder--my 14 months started with ONE day, then TWO, then THREE.....

Congratulations, you're already on your way!

best, susan

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Great post sujul,
                    Thank you.

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Hi Suj, thank for that, I really like the 'where do you see yourself' idea. Think will try that but feel a year is too far away for me so going to do a 'where I see myself in September'.........

Thanks

Lx
                      Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Congratulations Sujul, I loved the picture in my head of you carrying your crayon drawing to graduation. Very inspiring.

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Sujul, thank you for posting that.. You are a real inspiration to all of us and you prove that it can be done
                          A F F L..
                          Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Thanks again everyone--and you're all an inspiration to me too!

I'm framing the drawing--it once meant a hoped-for goal--now, it means a goal-achieved! What a wondrous feeling--I can definitely recommend it....get out your colored pencils, your crayons, your paints and chalks and start drawing!

I mean it! Where do you want to be tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Draw it to live it! Hmmmm...let me say that again:
                            DRAW IT TO LIVE IT!

(I might have to repeat this theme later on....)

best,
                            susan

Comment

14 MONTHS AF!!!

Susan, Thanks for the post. I drank a lot like you, only a couple of times a week I binged. It is a desperate feeling laying in bed and wondering when you are going to die.

thanks again

bear
                              What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
                              ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Working...
                              X