Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy basil

Hey all,

I have been drinking this holy basil tea for the last couple of days and it has really been helping me with my stress. This is the closest I have felt to a drink that reminds me of alcohol in term relaxation, it feels like it takes the edge off and I can drink it all day. I think part of it is my stress level has been so high lately, when I first had some I literally felt like I popped a morphine. My head feels less tense and although it doesn't seem to lift my mood, it kills that voice in my head when I get home that says hey maybe a drink would pick you up. There are supposedly all kinds of other benefits, but I would check it out if you are looking for a drink alternative.

I did read some negative reviews, so maybe don't drink a liter of it to try it out haha.

Thanks Dutch -
    What a coincidence. Today I was looking to order some supplements and came across Holy Basil myself...heard that it really helped people that were dealing with high levels of stress/cortisol and it acted as a mild sedative.
    It's something I am definitely considering.
    I tried Valerian (holy moly does that stuff STINK!!!) but nothing going on that one.
    I deal with OCD and GAD/Panic Disorder...I am prescribed a benzodiazepine but really do not want to take it as it is highly addictive, so am always looking for alternatives to deal with my anxiety.
    Do you have any other recommendations other then Holy Basil? I have also heard about Ashwagandha...and GABA as well. Sometimes to look into with all this free time on my hands, not drinking..lol.
    Thanks for the link!

Comment

Briseus,

I have been drinking de caffeinated green tea up the ass, probably 1-3 liters of the stuff a day. I have been a little blue due to a miscarriage my wife and I had, I think the l-theanime has helped since I can consume so much of it since its decaf, it also is supposed to act directly on gaba in your brain, which is good for us anxious people.

For the first fifty days I was drinking 2-3 sodas a night and I knee I was compensating for alcohol and it was making me feel less satisfied with quitting. I wanted to enjoy the health benefits of quitting but knew the soda was not a good replacement. I tried valerian and chamomile but didn't notice any big changes.

Comment

Hey Dutch,

I am very sorry to hear about yours and your wife's miscarriage - that must be so incredibly hard for you to go through.

When I quit drinking in the past I used to compensate a lot...not sure if it was OK though, what I was doing. Compensating with kombucha....and "mocktails"...I even got to the point where I would put ACV in juice because it would give me that warm feeling in the pit of my belly much like alcohol did (WTF?!).

I hear that L-theanine comes more highly recommended than GABA - so I think I might give that a try instead of the GABA right off the bat - I heard that some people get strange SE's from too much GABA (understandable).
        Chamomile and Valerian do nothing for me either...odd.
        I have been reading more about Holy Basil and it's touted benefits (Amazon.com is my go to for reviews - it's pretty helpful).
        I also read somewhere about something called Phenibut...although I need to look into this more...I just read it off a body building site...it piqued my interest so will see what that is all about.

Have you tried other teas (other than green)?
        I've been trying a variety of "calming" teas...dunno if they actually help...I hear skullcap is pretty good.
        Gosh..anything to take the edge of sometimes, eh?
        Although I have read some reviews on some of these supps and people swear by them...and you're another person that has said that L-Theanine has worked for them! Might just give this a shot.

Sorry, I think I just incessantly rambled on here. Lol.

Comment

Hi Dutch&Bri-

I sometimes take Anxiety Ease (Amazon) and it seems to help. It has L-theanine, ashwaghanda, dmd, tulsi (holy basil), kelp, lemon balm, GABA and skullcap. It is kinda pricey though. I have also used Relax-All with Phenibut. I don't have a bottle right now so can't list the ingredients. It helps me sleep but usually gives me some weird dreams. Supplements are so tricky-what works for one person may do nothing for another.

Sorry about what you are and your wife are going through Dutch.

JackieM

Comment

Hey Jackie -

I have been doing research on supps...little paranoid of mixing everything that I am currently taking...which is weird...I am paranoid about mixing natural herbs and whatnot but not paranoid when guzzling down a poison night after night after night in extreme quantities.

Anywho...I was reading about Phenibut...and have heard it is highly addictive....which worries me, BUT, have also heard that it works wonders on anxiety.
            I'm just afraid that if I started taking it that I might not be able to stop. I hear that it gives a bit of a buzz, like alcohol, but you are more clear-headed, do you find that to be true?
            I am going to totally look up Anxiety Ease.
            I was actually on iHerb right now about to make a purchase...all separate....but for L-Theanine, Ashwagandha, Tulsi and L-Glut...I have skullcap tea. But this supp you share the name of intrigues me.

But you are right, what works for one person may not work for another.

Hope you're hanging in there Dutch.
            And onto week three for us Jackie.

Bri.

Comment

Bri-

I haven't noticed a buzz when taking the Relax-All with Phenibut. I was taking a couple a day if I was feeling panicked or a couple at night if I thought I needed to. I never had the urge to keep taking it so I would say for me it is not addictive. The label does say not to take it more than five days in a row though.
              I would definitely try the Anxiety Ease if you were going to purchase all those supplements separately. I have spent so much on supplements over the years it is crazy.
              I hope you find something that helps.
              Take care,
              JackieM

Comment

Thanks Jackie - definitely will check out what you are taking.
                I am studying all this stuff (nutrition, supps, vitamins, minerals and everything)...and I read that we don't have to take all these OTC vitamins and minerals and supplements and whatnot.
                But I do feel like it helps me a lot...it holds me accountable. May sound weird...but...it does.
                L-Glutamine (for me) really does help with my cravings.

I did want to mention that I am going to see a naturopath in a couple of weeks! Finally!! I am looking forward to it and seeing if she has any insights...

Jackie - how long have you been taking the Relax-All for now??

For whatever reason my boyfriend is weary that I am ordering all these supps.... :/ not sure why.
                I said to him surely it is better than drinking my face off.

Take care.

Comment

Ps. Dutch - how are you holding up?
                  And Jackie - who makes the Relax-All that you take?? I am seeing different options.

Comment

I'm hanging in there thanks briseus. I have been drinking holy basil fairly regularly, although I read it can reduce fertility so not as much as I was. I am interested in phenibut but more because of the talk of a buzz, so I should probably avoid it haha. I haven't tried ashwaghnada yet but will write on here if I do. Have a good one!

Comment

Bri-

I think the brand of Relax-All is MRM. I don't take it on a regular basis. I keep it on hand and take it if I start to feel panicky. Sometimes I think just knowing I have it with me helps.

Hello Dutch.

JackieM

Comment

I am glad to hear that you are doing well Dutch. Sending big hugs your way.
                        I think I know exactly what you mean about the Phenibut...although those side effects/withdrawal sound pretty damn scary.

Jackie! Thank you very much for the name. I know exactly what you mean...the "placebo" effect?
                        I am prescribed Ativan - I often wonder why doctors prescribe such addictive stuff to....addicts? I mean...this stuff gives you a buzz much like alcohol. But whatever....
                        I don't take it. I can't remember the last time that I even took it....but knowing that I have it, calms me down and usually stops my anxiety in its tracks. So yes, I understand what you mean about "just knowing I have it with me helps".

I bought a big bag of organic tulsi at an organic health food store the other day. Haven't tried it yet.
                        I am taking St. John's Wort right now (did I already say that??) and I think I am going to stop taking it. There are so many contraindications with other herbs, meds, supps, etc when it comes to SJW...I'd like to read more into it...as to why.
                        Anyways, I have been having some health issues so had to stop all supps and such. But plan on getting back on track over the weekend.
                        I am still sober...so don't mean to make it sound like I am not...but I have been floating on through the days. Need to get back on here...first time on here in a week.

Anyone have any other supp suggestions?

Comment

Hi all, just poked in when I saw holy basil and I have ordered some GAD and insomnia. Re Phenibut, I first bought the capsules and they really helped so I bought some in bulk. It comes with a measure which I highly recommend using. One day I mislaid the measure and just took a teaspoon and dunked it in. It piles up kind of like cornstarch and I didn't know how much the original measure was, I woke up in the night as if paralysed and spent the next 3 days in hospital sleeping. Nothing showed up in toxicology reports.

So, please be careful and use the prescribed dose, as it is effective at that level. I went to a Phenibut thread and many were using it recreationally (dose?) Also, it becomes addictive after a month.
                          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Waking up like that must've been scary. Thanks for the warning.

The supplement I was taking contained Phenibut among other things. I only took it if I was experiencing major anxiety or couldn't sleep.

Your story is a good reminder to be careful regarding supplements. Just because something is sold o.t.c. doesn't mean it is 100% safe.

Thanks again SKendall.

JackieM

Comment

SKendall - that's some scary stuff. I have been intrigued with Phenibut, but was scared off by some of the horror stories I have read online. I wasn't sure what to believe, but now I have info from a trusted source. I think I'll skip it.

Tulsi is a wonderful herb. I belong to an herbal online community, and several of the members got together recently and drank holy basil tea every day for a month. They kept a running thread going to report on their experiences. Very positive responses, especially related to anxiety and mood. I bought some, but haven't tried it yet. My anxiety level has been under control lately, but I'm glad to know it's here if I need it.

Dutch, I am glad you hanging in there. Sending love and hugs.
                              Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Working...
                              X