Puts hand up meekly ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puts hand up meekly ....

Ok - all you butch boys - help me out here.

Physically I'm easily walking 10,000 steps per day. I'm a full-time gardner (not of the pot plant variety), mowing, clearing, clipping, chopping etc.

As I'm on the ugly side of 50, I would like to ensure continued strength. I do NOT have access to a gym, nor do I wish to buy a truck-load of weights or other kit and equipment. Can you point me toward a strength/weight training regime which does not involve "gear" - just stuff I can do with what I have to hand?

I need to stay strong and can't afford to let "old-lady body" sneak up. I've tried Googling but I don't think I'm specific enough in my search.

Thanking you in advance, SAH!

Puts hand up meekly ....

How about a sack of potatoes in a back pack when you walk?

Cans of baked beans as weights?

strap bags of flour on your ankles?

push ups in bed with a 20 year old sitting on your back?

No, seriously, if you just keep working in the garden you'll be fine!
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

OK, thanks Flip.

No, seriously, could you elaborate on the bit about the 20 year old sitting on my back thing ... I might need some graphics here ... memory's getting a bit dim ... think he might need to be 40 ...

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

hey frog
        flip is right but keep taking the L glutamine from mwo

max
        "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

I like the push-up idea! Maybe I'll get a chance to try that out tonight... He's not 20... but 40 will work.

That's still "robbing the cradle" for me!:H
          The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

Tawny, A while ago RJ posted a fitness web, I put it in my favourites but has been deleted due a re-format. You may want to check out her posts, or google very specifically. I think you'll find your answers there. Dang wish I had bought that google stock at $11.00!
            Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

Thanks, SK - will persevere. I know what you mean about the Google stock!!!!!

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

Ok Tawn .. seriously..

what you are doing at the moment is combining both your aerobic with the anaerobic.. which is perfect for a women slightly over 50...

If you are looking for toning the muscles which I'm thinking you are after... the key here is to do:
                1. Low Repititions with a heavier than normal weight... for example if you are lifting a 5kg bag of organic soil by 10 times in repetition.. change that to a 10kg bag by 5 times...
                2. What you also need to think about is if you are pulling the bag towards you... you then need to match that exercise with the opposite movement.. ie pushing your weight against the side of a wall... you always pair muscle groups in exercise that are opposite.
                3. Repeat these 2 sets of exercises 3 times only in the one session... only every second day.. the muscle needs time to re-build itself in between.

Was that too serious... oh well hope it helps..

Wattle
                Failure is not the falling down... it's the staying down

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

Wattle - I LOVE you.

That's exactly what I wanted!!!! You've made me realise I do a lot of lifting/pulling (soil, cement etc,) but I don't do the opposite. I did when I was pushing the mower around but now I'm riding.

Never thought I'd be wanky enough to warrant a Personal Trainer .... will you be it?????

PS. And here's your $10.00 for saying "slightly over 50".

Mwah.

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

hi frog,

reebok makes a weight vest you can wear around. I think mine holds 10 lbs of weights and you can add additional ones in little pockets. It will not make you buff but will help you burn more calories as a day. I really like mine. Looks like a bullet proof vest.

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

Hi Tawny,

Wattle is right about the slow reps with high weights. That is the workout I do and it has done wonders. Also might want to consider resistance band training. You would only need one little band and if you work until your muscles burn it can be very beneficial. Here is just an idea of what I am talking about.

Resistance Band Workout - Upper Body

Please post pictures of your buff self when you can. Including the young male on your back.
                      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

TAWNY WITH NAKED MAN ON HER BACK....

IF YOU WANT TO SEE A RECENT PHOTO OF TAWNY WITH A NAKED YOUNGER MAN ON HER BACK, CLICK HERE............... Attached files [img]/converted_files/267298=1101-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

OMG

What can I say ...

and I thought Paris was bad....

Lushy - thanks. I'll PM re resistance band.

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

Paris has nothing on you.....well, actually she has nothing at all between her ears......

I'm still recovering from her comment "I'm going to take a more active role in the decisions I make from now on"...... (flip's still scratching her head in amazment)

Comment

Puts hand up meekly ....

Good old Wattle...............very helpful and informative.....I do the opposite of you Tawns, a LOT of pushing, with my young man in a wheelchair (80 kilos), but not much pulling....I will be walking backwards for half the day now...........I also do a lot of lifting as he cannot move himself......Wattle, does that mean that every time I lay him down I am doing the opposite thingy???? or doesn't it work like that....

Meet at Wattles life gym every morning folks.....Tawneys the one in the pink lurex thong with the silver legwarmers....bagsy standing behind her, specially when she's a pullin' on those weeds............................................. ................

Comment

Working...
                              X