SF Inspiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SF Inspiration

Hey NS - a thread dedicated to our SF commitment!

I think I need a place to come again regularly to remind myself why I do not only want to only limit, but wants to continue to focus on eliminating sugar from my life entirely.
    And it isn't about weightloss. For me it is about eliminating those thoughts of ' just one chocolate chip cookie' and the calm I feel when I do not eat sugar.
    Also, I find my bodies reacts to sugar like it reacted to alcohol. One bite makes me think of it more often. If it is off the table, there are no thoughts of a little forbidden treat and my mind is free to think of more important matters. There is no emotional eating. I eat when I am hungry and for nutrition, as it should be.
    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Great idea, El.

There is s lot of biochemistry to explain the similarities between what you experience with alcohol and sugar. Even unsweet starchy carbs (like bread) can have the same effect in some people. Put the sugar and starch with some fat and the products can become almost irresistible to many!

I'm a little reluctant to use the terms food addiction and sugar addiction because people who haven't experienced those compulsions often think the terms trivialize what are perceived as "true" serious addictions to drugs, including alcohol. However, the feelings of compulsion/lack of control are the same. I've listened to some podcasts of people who consider themselves food or sugar addicted and they essentially sound like we all do when we try to explain our relationship with alcohol. In a way their situation is harder, though, because you can't give up eating entirely.

On the other hand, a person can give up sugar and just like with alcohol, break the crazy cycle of craving, consuming, and regretting. Like I said elsewhere, when I don't have them, it really doesn't even occur to me to want them nor is it difficult to turn them down when offered. We really can change our brains :smile:.

Comment

Bumping up for El b/c she was having trouble finding her own thread (but NOT b/c she is drinking :haha:!!).

Comment

Another Bump - can you see it now, El?

Comment

Here I am ... The little lost flower returns!
          Thank you NS!

You know what yoy said describes me to a T. That is me and exactly how I react to carbs and sugar. One bite and it is 'bring it on baby!'
          Crazy.
          I have lost 13 kilos (28.6 pounds) since getting a handle on this sugar problem.
          Amazing and all my city clothes fit again!
          Last edited by Eloise; November 10, 2015, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Did I mention my new found love of apples lately?
            Somehow an apple settles those carb/sugar impulses as well...

Comment

Okay so had a rather terrible late afternoon after art. I at 2 cookies NS! Then later a piece of white toast.
              I simply have to bake with honey. If there is no crap in the house I do not eat it. And I felt a little sick after the 2nd cookie.
              Ugh, confessing helps. I havent been to supermarket in a week so I am eating what I find at this point.

Comment

Funny to read this post NS.
                I have been under so much stress here, I feel like the last 3 years have actually be 20 years.

My little cookie melt down 5 days ago didn't lead to a crazy sugar/carb eating frenzy thankfully.
                Back on track, and also trying to spend an hour a day with my horse. He is the best medicine ever. I fell off him yesterday. I do not know who was more scared, I think he was. I was actually okay he said 'Whoopsie.... I lost my little passenger!'
                What a chicken liver. The crows started making all kinds of noise and he flipped. I still love him just as much though. One day he flipped over a butterfly.

Ah! Paard love!

Comment

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better, El, and visiting your therapist-horse everyday :smile:. How fortunate you weren't hurt when you fell!! My dog once accidently nipped me when we were playing roughly and immediately licked up the blood - I decided to take that as an apology :wink:.

I was a bit off the full week after my sugar-binge experiment - felt "hungry" even when I'd eaten more than a normal amount of good food so it was in my brain, not my body. Yesterday there was social pressure to eat some cake that was bought specially for me so I managed the smallest bite possible during the chaos of the party so I could honestly remark that it was very good (which it was) and that I appreciated the thoughtfulness (which I did, just didn't want the result of the thought!)

Comment

Hey NS- i don't think you need to experiment anymore, but understand why you do it.
                    I notice way more cravings & urges to eat with increased carbs too. If I just eat clean I am waaay better off.
                    Sleepy here, stressful days here. I hope we do not wake to more terrible headlines.

Comment

Working...
                    X