today is my birthday - not celebrating with a glass of wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I turned 43. When I was 42 I quit smoking -almost 6 months smoke free now.
    At 43 I'd like to make drinking an occasional event instead of a nightly (bottle of wine) event. I'm on day 9 of 'no drinking at all' and feel pretty good. Pretty tired though.

I haven't told anyone about my plan except the people on this site. No friends or family. Hard to tell anyone when no one knows I have a problem. I actually just admitted it to myself- hard to get used to it.

I was feeling a little down today and was looking forward to reading some ecouraging words...thanks to everyone who posts! This is only the second time I've been here but it has helped a lot already.
    Lisa

Re: today is my birthday - not celebrating with a glass of w

Congratulations Lisa!

I know this must be bittersweet--since no one knows you have a problem "out there" you can't shout it from the rooftop. But you sure can do it here!! This is the best birthday present that you can give yourself.

Welcome to the MWO site and to a wonderful set of supportive companions on your journey into your way out! Let us know more about you and you will have all the support that you want and need on your trip!

Birthday Greetings!:rollin
    Kathy

Comment

Happy Birthday & Happy Flag Day Lisa! A really good friend of mine's B-day is today too! Her Dad always told her that the flags were flying in honor of her birth!:lol
      Congrats on 9 days thats awsome! Well I'm moderating ... so I'll have a glass of wine in both of your honor! She's going to see Bonnie Raiit(my absolute favorite!) tomorro night @ the Telluride Bluegrass festival (where I used to live). I served Bonnie coffee there years ago & got to visit a bit w/her! That was way cool! :hat Hugs, Judie

Comment

Thanks for the nice words and support.
        More about me....
        I'm single and have the obligitory 3 cats (if you are single and don't have any by 35 they will come find you)
        I work a lot. I was a closet smoker so when I quit only about a half dozen people knew. I think it's true that you have to do this kind of thing for yourself - not for anyone else- or it doesn't work.
        I'm tired of feeling bad. I have found myself drinking more by myself than with others. I often, not always, get very flushed (red in the face- nose and cheek area) when I have a drink and it is pretty embarassing. So the cure is of course to drink alone! I'm brilliant!
        I didn't work last Monday and started drinking in the afternoon and drank until I went to sleep. That was my last day of drinking ...to date anyway. Not the whole story but enough for now.
        One last thing. I'm glad to be 43. My dad died at 42 (heart attack) and I just wanted to get thru this past year...may sound silly but it was on my mind a lot.
        Thank you again!!!
        ...I'ts nice just being able to write some of this down.

Lisa

Comment

Yeah.....I used to get a flag birthday cake every year!!

red white and blue icing....yum

Comment

Happy birthday, Lisa!

Comment

Happy Birthday!
              Good for you, not celebrating with the wine, way to go!
              Miss Layla

Comment

Good on you Lisa and HAPPY BIRTHDAY:rollin
                You can talk all you like here you are among people who really understand!
                Best wishes on your journey
                Love Shas

Comment

Hi Lisa and Happy Birthday to you! I too am a newcomer here and have really enjoyed these boards. You get hooked! Anyway, yesterday finished reading the book, started the supps, am going to a yoga class today at noon, and plan on starting the cds this afternoon. Only one glass of wine last night from a bottle and a half the last ten years. I really want this to work for me as well as everyone who comes here. So keep up the good work! You are off to a terrific start!

Comment

Happy Birthday Yesterday Lisa... Great Big Good For You. Your adding years on to your life! gabby

Comment

Happy Happy Birthday Lisa a day late! And welcome to MWO! I haven't shared this site with anyone really either. I am about to turn 43 myself. You are doing a great thing for yourself here. Keep that in mind when the blues start to take over! Keep pushing on!

Donna

Comment

My birthday is today...turning 41...very odd to think of not celebrating with my former best friend, Mr. Chardonnay. I am on Day 9 but on only day 4 AF. I went out to dinner with a friend last night and she almost fell out of her chair when I ordered soda water with a lime. I told her I couldn't talk about it yet but assured her there was nothing "wrong" with me. Can't quite admit to anyone that there really is something wrong with me. I asked her to give me a month and then we could talk. I think this will be the first time in 20 years (except the one year I was pregnant) that I will probably remember my birthday night. How odd....
                        Julie J.

Comment

happy bday sober girls. i will toast you with a cup of tea. and who knows i might go get a goodie or something sweet in your honor. tis something to not bring it in w/mr chardonnay. but a good something. last nite as i was on my third gingerale someone would say aren't you drinking? uh yeah, gingerale. hahaha or my girlfriend said you seem distant. no uh just not drunk like everyone else. i realized at her bday party that as most of them were drunk i would have been right there with them and continuing but you know what i came home early and that felt really good to be responsible. first ever. so welcome to a whole new you. we celebrate you bday boys and girls in your 40's even. K:rollin

Comment

Hi Lisa;

Congratulations on nine days of abstinence! That is probably the best birthday present that you can give yourself..

Welcome to the family, and Happy Birthday:rollin

Brandy

Comment

Boy I needed to read all those posts today!
                              I had a tough week - I manage the acct dept for a company and we had an external and internal audit going on all this week. Driving home I almost talked myself into drinking tonight.....but forget it.
                              I'm inspired again by your stories and support. No wine for me tonight- that will be 11 days no drinking!
                              I've been invited out for drinks tomorrow night with work friends. I was thinking of just having one drink but now I think I just won't. I will get questions I'm sure, but I think I want to feel happy and proud of myself even more than having that one drink. Plus, I am a little afraid if I have one drink I may stop by and pick up a bottle of wine on the way home.
                              Thanks everyone...what a great group this is!
                              Lisa

Comment

Working...
                              X