Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

got your attention with that title!!!

I went to a chinese doctor who got some great reviews. He had never heard of Kudzu but advised I take an herb called...

you guessed it!:

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

He said it would restore my balance. but one of the members thinks maybe not a good idea to take it because I can't read the ingredient label. But the guy is Chinese!! and good reviews!!!

Any thoughts on this mystery herb?

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

I posted this in the mods thread but am wondering if you take the Kudzu sold here. If not, it is excellent stuff. I find it very odd a Chinese herbalist of all people has never heard of Kudzu since it is used in China all of the time for various reasons.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

Well i tried the kudzu on the site and it hasn't worked at a high cost!

So i thought if i got the actual herbs to make tea, it might work better.

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

You need to be very careful with Chinese herbs, I read an article last year about a
        woman suffering renal failure after taking recommended herbs. You do need to know
        the ingredients as some are very powerful.
        Best of luck.

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

I just posted this on another thread...

but I don't know what I was thinking. You guys are very right.

Glad I did not spend much.

I am glad I posted it because Paula's warning sounds important.:thanks:

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

From Chinese herbs and patent medicines by Jake Fratkin - this book is the Physicians Desk Reference of Chinese herbs and patent medicines.

Mai Wei Di Huan Wan is also known as the Eight Immortals Long Life Pills and it "nourishes lung yin, moistens the lung, benefits kindey qi. Use for chronic deficiencies of yin causing dry cough, dry throat and dry nasal passages. Secondary symptoms may include dizziness, ringing of the ears, or palpatation.." It is primarily for "lung yin deficiency due to an underlyiing kidney yin deficiency. It is commonly used in geriatric lung deficiency presentations."

Although I am only a student of chinese medicine, I think you are safe in taking your chinese doctor's advice. Chinese Patent medicines are food grade when taken in the recommended doses - they will not cause a catastropic result if you take them as recomended, especially if you get it in the form of tea pills rather than decocted herbs. If they make you feel lousy or weird, then stop - you'll just digest them like yesterdays soup. Since this is commonly used as a geriatric formula, then it ia most likely VERY gentle. DOMs (or OMDs - oriental medical doctors) will take a multi-tiered approach in clearning out old patterns before approaching new ones, so taking care of respiratory issues first makes sense. Plus those patent meds are CHEAP compared to pharmecuticals. Personally, I have three formulas I alternate and have experienced much better vitality from a two years ago when I started seeing my acupuncturuist/DOM.
            "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

One note: if you did get your prescription in the form of dry herbs, make sure that you prepare them EXACTLY as directed. If they're just in a bottle and look like little black bee-bees, don't worry.
              "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

great resource

Hi Zin

I see you as a great resource.

What i really want is to take kudzu in effective doses, just on social days.I was taking those supplements and not feeling an effect.

do you have any advice?

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

Hi Nancy,
                  I added kudzu to my pill-poppin' regimen six weeks ago - my OMD hadn't heard of it and she's American - it IS an American herb, but I didn't notice any change in the effecs of other patent formulas (combinations of herbs) that i'd been taking. So I think it's okay. Incidentally the Mai Wei Di Huang Wan is a combination of 8 herbs "wan" means pill. Anyway, Kudzu has been shown to be effective RIGHT before drinking ... like within the hour. One of the studies i read said that subjects would pop a couple of kudzu pills, have TV and beers nearby and generally would drink less than the control group. Something like that. I think Kudzu just makes our brain "satisfied" with less faster. So for those social days I would just take a couple kudzu tablets with lots of water before going to dinner, visit friends, and so on. I took some last night before going out to dinner and was happy wth my 2 glasses of wine, even once I got home and had a bottle on the counter.

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

I bought my kudzu from a chinese herbalist in the form of the dried root..

I just pour boiling water over a certain amount to make a tea and then drink it.. Its amazing how quickly it works and I have been taking it on and off for the last 8 months..

The chinese name for Kudzu is GE GEN..

When I became a subscriber on here I recieved a free bottle of the MWO Kudzu pills but I personally found them to be not as effect as the dried Kudzu root..
                    A F F L..
                    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

Thanks for that info Zin, I have been taking kudzu 3 times a day and it is expensive, I think
                      I will gradually cut down and then try what you do. I don't get cravings as often as I used
                      to and feel so much better.
                      Hope it works as well for you Nancy.

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

I think with any herb or patent formula there is a danger of getting used to it and the effects may diminish over time. That's when changing brand or form might be a good idea. Irish - thanks for the Chinese name for kudzu!

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

My acupuncturist gave me Mai Wei Di Huang Wan for hot flashes when I was going through menopause and it worked great for me with no side effects. They were little tiny bb looking pills and I took 6 three times a day.

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

Irishlady, GOOD TO KNOW!!!!! "Ge Gen", I'm going to remember that!
                            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                            - George Jackson

Comment

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan

Mai Wei Di Huang Wan.............I think that's # 3 on my Chinese Menu (does it come with eggroll......Ha!) IAD
                              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X